Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I need the SMU pic

52,863 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by Roger Kint
old-Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just hope you never have to make a decision on whether or not to draw and fire that weapon.

Both parties were in the wrong there. But pulling out the saber, that's wrong. If I really wanted a weapon, I would've used the scabard too.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
I just hope you never have to make a decision on whether or not to draw and fire that weapon.

As do I. One is looking at about $4k in legal bills and other expenses almost regardless of circumstances.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
yes, Keegan, and arent cheerleaders from SMU just like women?

all i've been trying to communicate to you is that in order to use deadly force, which is what drawing a sword is, you have to reasonably fear death or serious bodily injury, and it has to be an immediate fear - i see no way to justify the act from the picture
Keegan99
AG
I'd still argue that the sword used wasn't a deadly weapon, anymore than an older gentleman swinging a cane.

But as I said, if FAST FRED's account is correct, and the saber wasn't drawn immediately after Hood was pushed to the ground, then I completely agree that he was in the wrong.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
okay, and like i said, i have no idea whether or not that saber in particular would be considered a deadly weapon cause i have never seen it

so we can be friends again
old-Rudyjax
A buddy of mine in the Corps was running with his and triped. Stabbed him self in the leg and required stitches. Just because it doesn't have a blade doesn't mean it doens't have a point.
old-Rudyjax
quote:
As do I. One is looking at about $4k in legal bills and other expenses almost regardless of circumstances

I would hope you'd pay more than 4k for a good criminal defense attorney if you're on a murder charge. Not only that, the emotional scaring that killing a man would do to you, even if he deserved it.
FAST FRED
AG
It, I am remembering and estimating, happened within 15 seconds of the OD being pushed down.

A SMU cheerleader tried to sneak behind him a second time for a pushover, the OD moved away from that and drew his saber when other cheerleaders tried to get in his face again.

This is from memory.

I kept expecting some authorities to intervene and separate the students, but the Aggie OD was left to deal with the situation on his own.

He shouldn't have drawn the saber, but they shouldn't have pushed him over that cheerleader and they shouldn't have been on the field after being told that it wasn't allowed.

They pushed the OD, figuratively and literally, without regard to what might be the result.

Those involved in setting sideline decorum, including the OD and the SMU cheerleaders and, in the more recent incident, the tu band, all were lacking in their anticipation, preparation, oversight, courtesy, self control and action.

You can certainly blame the students involved to whatever various degrees you decide, but the adult sponsors present on the sidelines and stadium officials should have been watching those within their scope of responsibility and taken charge much sooner.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/4/2006 8:19p).]
BQ_90
AG
Hood was kicked out of school while the cheerleaders where not punished at all. The cheerleaders should have been thrown out of Kyle for violation of Kyle field rules and policy.

The ODs could not wear sabers for a few years until Jackie lobbied hard to get them reinstated. Don’t think RC or Fran would’ve done that.

Arms & LEGS
you have to be joking... they are visiting team cheerleaders and Kyle is no memorial (I know where you were going with that).

The fact is that a large part of the ODs are overzealous "soldiers" who don't know how to use their brain.... hence they embarrass A&M.
TK03
quote:
I would hope you'd pay more than 4k for a good criminal defense attorney if you're on a murder charge.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. Hire a good lawyer. It is worth the extra money to not have to be somebody's ***** for quite a few years.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Depending upon the charges, 4K or less may be all its needed. If it goes to a full blown murder rap (which is very unlikely; more than likely it will be a manslaughter or assault charge) fees will be 4 to 5 times higher.

I'm not going to advise anyone on here, but I will say that if I pull my handgun, there's probably a 75% chance I'm going to use it. Otherwise (and before I pull), I'm going to be loudly and continually yelling, "I am armed and I will shoot you if you continue." Hopefully, witnesses are around and will hear this, so they will testify that I did everything in my power to prevent a deadly situation. And if I pull my weapon and fire, it WILL be a deadly situation. I'll deal with any consequences later -- anything's better than the ER, ICU, wheelchair, or funeral home.
W
AG
I wonder if this incident would have been remembered differently if the Ags had rallied in the 2nd half and won the game? I think SMU was a top 10 team that year and the altercation took place right before the second half kickoff.

I bet it would.

-----

also remember that the 81 SMU game took place right after the 81 Rice game in Houston in which a lot of non-football (pride challenging) incidents took place during the game. Frustration was definitely building from the previous week.
BigTrain
AG
Good grief! The next time someone asks for this picture (happens at least once per year since the 80's) everyone just ignore the request and keep quite so we don't have to rehash this same old argument over and over and over again. Besides, YOU are not going to change anyone's opinion on whether this was an attack with a deadly (??? have you ever seen one of these ceremonial sabers up close?) weapon.
aggiephoenix02
you're such a homo Keegan
aggiephoenix02
Fast fred is right that all parties are at fault in both incidents. And of course the aggies get ALL the blame from most people.

The thing that gets to me more than 'other people' looking down on us for the actions of a couple of ags, are the ags that look down on other ags and almost seem to be embaressed to be aggies themselves.

I'm not proud of the poop thrower and saber puller outer, but I'm not embaressed of their actions either.

ps- ok, i guess i'm a little proud, but it's only 'cus in a perfect world all t-sippers should have poop thrown on them at one time or another. And male cheerleaders are over the top and kinda... well gay.
Tag77
We need more Cadets and less tsip types at TAMU.

aggiephoenix02
that's for damn sure tag, but right now i'd settle for less collar poppers and keegan types.
Hedley_Lamarr
quote:
I will always defend someone's right to defend themself.

typical keegan

i was at the game the saber was drawn before the ct left the sideline - but i think folks need to keep in mind that there were 70K folks at Kyle Field that day that thought this CT did the right thing - its not like SMeW didn't know not to go onto the field -that had been the f*n rule for 100 years.

don't think the SMeW turd biscuits didn't know what they were doing - and doing in the face of Aggies at Kyle that day.
Crew07
I won't get into any details, but I have no issue with what he did. Some Aggies preach the school's ideals but get politically correct when defending them poses a PR threat.

Yesterday
AG
For those who feel the Corps is an embarrassment at kyle at times. Well often are you proud of them? How often do you stand when the band walks on the field? Freaking titty boppers
Arms & LEGS
we need less cadets and more people who are fun and intelligent at this university.

I would be standing for the band, but I'm usually tailgating at halftime.
Ol Jock 99
AG
arms & legs

equals

Old Jock 1997
AG
Agreed...

Arms & LEGS...I wish someone would beat you silly with all of your appendages. ******.

***AG TAG*** (Since staff is apparently never going to give it, I'll grant it myself.)
Old Jock 1997
AG
Sorry, the deleted word was doch with a u inserted you-know-where. I hate it when effect is lost.

***AG TAG*** (Since staff is apparently never going to give it, I'll grant it myself.)
Serotonin
AG
Arms and Legs is a sip, so don't worry about him guys, he's just trying to get a rise out of everyone. Honestly, I don't know why the sips are over here; if we win a MNC then I sure as hell won't be trolling hornfans complaining about 25 year old pictures.
GAC06
AG
It didn't embarrass the university. I'm certainly not embarrassed about it. Those stupid cheerleaders knew what they were doing was going to piss off aggies, and thats why they were doing it. Just like that nebraska fan who got punched for trying to rush the field after beating us, they got what they deserved. Or not really because they should have gotten their asses kicked. Some "aggies" complaining about being embarrassed is a fair price to pay for keeping ****** bags from disrespecting our field and our university.
AgNav93
AG
I love how people look at a picture of an event that happened over 20 years ago and start drawing conclusions. Never let the facts get in the way of a good picture.
TheSheik
AG
I was there too.

Fast Fred's description of it was pretty much what I rememeber. He did not come from the sideline with the saber drawn. He was pushed and surrounded by the pony boys.

and then the next week we went to TCU where all the horn frogs had 3 foot long foam Saggie Aggie Sabers that they waved all day long. . .
DietzAg05
I think its hilarious...WHOOP!
Hey Nav
AG
Fred's description and opinion are spot on. I always wondered how I'd have reacted to the exact same situation, in front of 70,000 screaming witnesses. He should have gotten a little help a little faster.

By the way, does anyone else remember during, I believe, either the '77 or '79 SMU game, as the SMU cheerleaders were running across Kyle just prior to kickoff, doing their usual back flips across the aTm, when suddenly, Rev came sprinting across the field and planted a bite on one the cheerboys butt? My memory isn't the best, but that Rev was the greatest!
OrygunAg
AG
Whoooop!
Tag77 <- you said it best
I for one would like to shake that gentleman's hand. He did the right thing. To hell with the PC crap. There are alot of things that make Kyle intimidating...
FAST FRED
AG
Yeah, Hey Nav, both the OD and the poop scooper were left in touchy situations without proper support.

I trust our AD's stadium staff will anticipate and/or notice such student confrontations better and be more prepared to defuse similar situations quickly in the future.

I believe, personally, I would choose to prevent a recurrance of the more recent incident by leaving any poop left on the track, where the opposing cheerleaders and band have staked their claim, unscooped and in place.

I'd have our poop scooper clean up all the crap around the rest of the track and then offer his specialized equipment to the 'sips, or whoever, to use in their area for themselves, before it got stored away.

And that's what I suggested to Bill Byrne in an e-mail right after the last tu game.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/4/2006 8:59p).]
Hey Nav
AG
Good suggestion, Fast Fred.

By the way, did you come up with a Top 10 Greatest R&R songs list ?
FAST FRED
AG
Not yet, just ten picks is really hard for anyone, but I'd have to choose that few from since way back in the fifties.

I think that's a daunting, if not impossible, and pretty much pointless task.

I pretty much liked all the other folks picks anyway, even if, in my eyes, they don't go back as far as could/would I.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/4/2006 9:40p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.