Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bonfire coming back to campus?

10,240 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by William_C_G
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/09/texas-am-bonfire-tradition/

Regents are going to discuss
txag11
AG
Contractor built bonfire. No thanks.
wangus12
AG
Its not gonna happen. Student Bonfire does a great job right now and the stack site out on OSR can handle a bigger crowd than the Polo Fields can. Would love for the school to start supporting it again rather than acting like it doesn't exist these days though
ghollow
AG
My hope would be that a contractor is in charge of the construction but students actually build the bonfire under the contractor's supervision. I would assume that former students would make up the team in charge of the build.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Agthatbuilds
I dont think any contractor would be willing to take on that liability
Kampfers
AG
Keep the suits out of bonfire

Any notion I might have had that this is a good faith attempt went out the window with his descriptions of the current student bonfire

Just another name in the long line of administrators that has had it out for student bonfire
BTHOB-98
Not sure about the contractor built bonfire but I think just a pile of stuff like it was in the beginning would possibly be fine. There would be a lot of things lost by going backwards but having it on campus would be pretty huge. I'm not sure at this point. My thoughts on this have changed a lot the older I have gotten but I would be torn. A lot of the camaraderie in building bonfire is through the cut process and through the stack process the loss of that would be sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1928_bonfire.jpg

Agthatbuilds
We will get a stack of trash about the same time we get a mutt for reveille
BTHOB-98
Agthatbuilds said:

We will get a stack of trash about the same time we get a mutt for reveille

Fair enough. Maybe it will be something more like this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Late_50s_Aggie_Bonfire.jpg
hunter2012
AG
txag11 said:

I thought the important thing was the building of it so that you have a collaborative effort of the student body? If you just have a contractor do it then what's the point? Might as well hire the Texans to play our football games for us as well.
ironmanag
AG
The Bonfire needs to be back on campus. No matter what form it takes.

If we have to suffer the horns again, we need that event to bring all Aggies home before the game.
Ugly
AG
I would love bonfire to be back on campus for Burn, but at this point, Student Bonfire does a much better job than the university can. Anything the university tries to do will just be a sham.
A is A
AG
ironmanag said:

If we have to suffer the horns again, we need that event to bring all Aggies home before the game.
Student led, off campus >>>>>>> On Campus, No Spirit, No Student involvement.
ABATTBQ11
AG
hunter2012 said:

txag11 said:

I thought the important thing was the building of it so that you have a collaborative effort of the student body? If you just have a contractor do it then what's the point? Might as well hire the Texans to play our football games for us as well.

We're quickly getting to that point, too, though, no?
AgTrip
If it's back on campus it will be LED lights with waving simulated flames so as not to offend anyone and cut down on any liabilities.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

If the older Ags need to have a big on-campus event before the game, there are a lot of other options besides manufacturing something and calling it Bonfire.
one safe place
hunter2012 said:

txag11 said:

I get your point but perhaps we could sign up a much better NFL team than the Texans if we go that route.
wangus12
AG
Jugstore Cowboy said:

Quote:

If the older Ags need to have a big on-campus event before the game, there are a lot of other options besides manufacturing something and calling it Bonfire.
You could go to the Student Bonfire that is currently happening for instance. Its only 20 minutes from campus
twk
AG
ironmanag said:

That's what this is all about. The nostalgia crowd wants the t.u. game on Thursday, but realizes that CS is a ghost town the week of Thanksgiving. Thus, they want to bring bonfire back to campus (even if it is entirely built by a construction company) thinking that will get students to stick around rather than go home for Thanksgiving. They don't realize that times have changed, and after the first renewal of the rivalry, it will get harder and harder to keep students on campus for a Thursday game, even with a store bought bonfire.
AgCanuck07
aggiesundevil4
AG
If it came back on campus it would hit news cycles then the environmentalists would go nuts about us emitting carbon for 'no reason' and Greta Thunberg would show up and get arrested and it would be a whole thing…let's keep it off campus and low profile…no brainer
hunter2012
AG
one safe place said:

hunter2012 said:

txag11 said:

I get your point but perhaps we could sign up a much better NFL team than the Texans if we go that route.
I was going to say the cowboys, but they would choke when needed the most.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Class of 99. Friends with one of the guys killed, and multiple of the folks injured. Absolutely NO to contractor built bonfire.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is not Bonfire. This is A Bonfire. This will be money grab by the Board. no ****ing thanks.
Artimus Gordon
1. Too much risk. Another accident would be catastrophic in a number of ways.
2. Too much liability ( cost of insurance and potential lawsuits)
3. It's not about "them" anymore. Other matchups on that weekend will be just as big or bigger.
4. Students haven't built one in 24 years.
5. Bonfire of old was a time and place. That time has passed and the place has been put to better use.

The university has no business sanctioning another one, just for muh feels.

rab79
AG
If it comes back to campus it will be at Rellis and it will be student built. The regents may try to bring something back that isn't student built but if they do the off campus student bonfire will continue.

ETA: Art is full of it with his #4.
W
AG
yep, tickets, parking, VIP seating, etc..,
W
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I dont think any contractor would be willing to take on that liability
the bonfire may be so small that liability is basically n/a
Ugly
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

1. Too much risk. Another accident would be catastrophic in a number of ways.
2. Too much liability ( cost of insurance and potential lawsuits)

Yes, these are the reasons Student Bonfire hasn't been officially acknowledged, and probably shouldn't be

3. It's not about "them" anymore. Other matchups on that weekend will be just as big or bigger.

??? We will only be playing in one football matchup that weekend, I can assure you. We didn't start burning giant piles of wood because somebody halfway across the country thought that our game was the biggest of the weekend. I can also guarantee if we ended up playing LSU instead of tu on Thanksgiving, Burn wouldn't move dates.

4. Students haven't built one in 24 years.

That's just dumb.

5. Bonfire of old was a time and place. That time has passed and the place has been put to better use.

Bonfire of old was only brought on campus because a bunch of students got pissed at a dude, tore down his barn, and used it for the '35 stack. Letting time pass you by is your own decision, but I would recommend against it. Life gets boring going down that road.

HDeathstar
Most important is to allow the school to support the Student Bonfire. Coaches, University related personal, athletes can attend, advertising on campus. This zero-tolerance policy for Student Bonfire needs to end. Get rid of the blackout. This would be a big step in the right direction.
Divining Rod
it's all about the fear of liability- what a bunch of cowards.

All the supposed "good Ags" "98% ers" and "Ol' Army" would have to do is cut off all donations to TAMU, 12th Man etc.... until the school recognizes Student Bonfire to this somewhat limited extent:

Allowing the football team, FTAB, yell leaders, and Corps. to participate.
oldschool87
AG
ghollow said:

My hope would be that a contractor is in charge of the construction but students actually build the bonfire under the contractor's supervision. I would assume that former students would make up the team in charge of the build.
This is not rocket science!!!!!!!

If it's built correctly, it cannot fall.

But given that, build a metal ring with i beams around it if you want. Use Wooden dowels to hold it in place. Not pressure, just in place. Bury it inside the stack. Wood burns, dows burn, Stack eventually falls, nobody has to know.

Good gosh, this is not hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason stack fell, started circa 95,96. I commented to the wife in 97, something is not right! Stack was falling every year in less than 15 minutes. In 97 98? It fell before the war hymn was over!

What happend? Bonfire has center pole. You are supposed to go out about 6 feet and drop another 12 mini center poles 5 feet deep. Go out another 5 feet drop 20 center poles, and continue. When stack is done it has 80 poles 5 feet in the ground. It physically cannot really fall over if the thing is anywherer remotely close to balanced.

Circa 95 that stopped happening. There were zero poles in the ground in 99.
TxAG#2011
Fine with contractor build as long as its on campus. No offense to all those who spent years as students building..... we just want to watch the bonfire.

Maybe contractors consisting of former students if that makes yall feel better.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I noticed that there is a thread about the bonfire in the politics forum. Bonfire will probably not come back as a student led event. It might very well come back as a professionally built structure to stand around while it burns. Because of liability concerns, it will only be a shell of its former shelf. I would rather it stay off campus to minizine meddling from our admins and board of regents.
Gunny456
AG
Yep. With all the climate change BS they will probably just use electric lights to make it look like it's burning.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.