Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC sticking with 8 game schedule for 2025

5,058 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AGDAD14
mjhhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just taking a teams opponents for 2024 and flipping the home team.

Pro - we still won't have Alabama or Georgia on the schedule. About as easy of an SEC schedule as you can get if you aren't the sips.

Con - Boring to play same schedule and have to go to LSU and the sips
NewEra2023
AG
Another Con - Boring to still play not 1 not 2 but 3 cupcake games.
greg.w.h
AG
mjhhawk said:

Just taking a teams opponents for 2024 and flipping the home team.

Pro - we still won't have Alabama or Georgia on the schedule. About as easy of an SEC schedule as you can get if you aren't the sips.

Con - Boring to play same schedule and have to go to LSU and the sips
Scam not con.
barbacoa taco
AG
still no home game against UGA
AG
NewEra2023 said:

Another Con - Boring to still play not 1 not 2 but 3 cupcake games.

Why? Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Texas play 10 cupcakes every year.
agchugger
AG
Pretty mediocre home slate. Three cupcakes, Florida, Auburn, Miss St, and SC. Yawn. Tough road schedule with ND, LSU, & tu. When is the arky jerryworld series over??
NyAggie
AG
agchugger said:

Pretty mediocre home slate. Three cupcakes, Florida, Auburn, Miss St, and SC. Yawn. Tough road schedule with ND, LSU, & tu. When is the arky jerryworld series over??
plus,

away for both lsu and texas

and, if they go to 9 games for 2026 then we will be on the road back to back against either lsu or tu or we will be stuck with the both home both away rotation with lsu and texas
A-A Ron
agchugger said:

the 24 season is the last year I believe.
murphyag
AG
tu gets any easy SEC schedule two years in a row. Shocker…
rootube
AG
A-A Ron said:

agchugger said:

. What do you want to bet we get a surprise announcement they are extending the jerryworld game.
Middleto
Let's hope so!
Sq 17
Discussed at length in a thread a couple of months ago and I called it that if the SEC stayed at 8 then the home teams would flip from '24 season
I also predicted that when we went to nine either the tu or LSU game would be a; away game 2 years in a row for scheduling balance

Yes call me Nostradamus
In other scheduling bad news if they go to 3-6 in 26 one of the teams we did not play in 24 or 25 will NOT be on the schedule I am guessing UK which will postpone or first visit to Lexington or UGa which will prevent their first visit to Kyle or UT Vols just to screw us out of a trip to Knoxville
Bonfire.1996
It's hilarious that you guys are against the 8 game conference schedule.

Here is a math FACT for you from the godfather of realignment math and how the Big 12 signed their death warrant by ignoring math.

These next two years, the SEC will have more schools in contention for the 12 team playoff than in subsequent years. Why? Because SEC schools have a chance to go 16-0 in that 4th non conference game. When you add a 9th conference game, 16-0 potential becomes 8-8 guaranteed.

The committee has proven, with very few exceptions that are injury related only, that overall record is the only metric that matters for power conference teams. The only metric. Maximizing wins and minimizing losses is the only metric that matters. That will be far more important at 12 teams versus 4 teams. A 12-1 or 11-1 team is guaranteed to get in. 10-2 is almost assured. The arguments will be over 9-3 squads, and a 9 game conference slate guarantees the odds go up of having 9-3 squads to argue about.

Yall need to take more math classes, swallow your pride, and play the odds.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
SEC knows they can have 5+ teams at 10-2 or better in 2024 so they figured they could do it again in 2025.
Bonfire.1996
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

SEC knows they can have 5+ teams at 10-2 or better in 2024 so they figured they could do it again in 2025.
And they should keep doing it. The B1G hasn't made many mistakes lately. Their 9 game slate is a major one.
Ferg
NyAggie said:

agchugger said:

plus,

and, if they go to 9 games for 2026 then we will be on the road back to back against either lsu or tu or we will be stuck with the both home both away rotation with lsu and texas
So in 26 with 9 we would play lsu, tu, OU, Bama, Tenn, Georgia, Ole Miss? Because the first two would be perm opponents and the others we aren't playing this year or next, and a non conference major?
greg.w.h
AG
Ferg said:

NyAggie said:

agchugger said:

plus,

So in 26 with 9 we would play lsu, tu, OU, Bama, Tenn, Georgia, Ole Miss? Because the first two would be perm opponents and the others we aren't playing this year or next, and a non conference major?
Impossible to know but the rotation they proposed is being followed to keep some teams playing probably longer term permanent opponents instead of switching opponents. I can't tell what they are thinking by doing that instead of rotating. But I'm guessing it is to help usher in 9-game conference campaign.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Is the 9 game schedule guaranteed? Last I heard ESPN still hadnt offered more money for the additional content.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
tu gets to keep their easy schedule in 2025 if this is true but it does include road games at Georgia and Florida along with our game the Saturday after Thanksgiving at home. If the pattern continues for 2026 then we probably play the other 7 teams plus lsu for 2 seasons. The 12 team likely going to 16 team playoff is the main reason to stay at 8 games to get more 10-2 or better teams.

Further expansion or realignment to a higher level will change everything anyway so these next 2 years should result in the Texas Aggies making the playoffs. Can't complain about that.
Sponge
AG
murphyag said:

After barely surviving the gauntlet of UH, WY, and KSU last year they could use an easy landing in the SEC.
Ferg

Is the 9 game schedule guaranteed? Last I heard ESPN still hadnt offered more money for the additional content.
It's the only way you get the A&M vs tu game after 25, someone is going to flinch, and without Saban the schools are more likely to vote for 9 especially with tu and ou getting a vote next time.
murphyag
AG
Sponge said:

murphyag said:

After barely surviving the gauntlet of UH, WY, and KSU last year they could use an easy landing in the SEC.

Sankey and esipn are pulling out all the stops to try and help tu make a big splash their first years in the sec.
Ag CPA
AG
The home schedule is atrocious, have fun writing that check season ticket holders!
TAMUallen
AG
Firmly against keeping 8 game and flipping it.
W
AG
barbacoa taco said:

still no home game against UGA
there is an idea that the University of Georgia football program exists...

but it might take 15 years for proof of it in College Station, TX

Mongolian Christmas
rootube said:

A-A Ron said:

agchugger said:

. What do you want to bet we get a surprise announcement they are extending the jerryworld game.

Real surprise is they'll replace arky with sips.
agchugger
AG
tu will have OSU in addition to ou, Fla, Ga and A&M.
Hardly an easy schedule.
Hehateme1
I'm not against the 8 team SEC schedule as much as this is a very pedestrian home slate of conference games. I will probably have some serious doubts about renewing season tickets for 2025
Hehateme1
UTSA, Utah State, Tarleton State, Auburn, Flarda, Cowbell and USCe.

Not a single matchup at Kyle that catches my eye right now, maybe situations will change, I was really hoping to go to South Bend with the Ags, though. Maybe I just pick that one up on stubhub.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Does that mean we will play Arky in Fayetteville in 2025?
Sq 17
agchugger said:

Very disappointing with the new non division schedule we get the two least interesting teams from the east that we have played the most USCe & Misery

I guess most teams wanted to keep their cross divisional rival but still I am sure they could have done better
TXAG 05
AG
Everyone rags on Missouri, but we've only beaten them 3 times in the last 10 games. Can't say they aren't a good matchup until we beat them a lot more often.
murphyag
AG
agchugger said:

tu will have OSU in addition to ou, Fla, Ga and A&M.
Hardly an easy schedule.
Florida is bad and OU isn't the OU of old.
Ugly
AG

I'm pretty sure that the focus right now is on how many teams will be in the SEC by 2026, and they will work out 8 vs. 9 vs. something else when the whole ACC thing is figured out..
NyAggie
AG
Hehateme1 said:

UTSA, Utah State, Tarleton State, Auburn, Flarda, Cowbell and USCe.

Not a single matchup at Kyle that catches my eye right now, maybe situations will change, I was really hoping to go to South Bend with the Ags, though. Maybe I just pick that one up on stubhub.
yeah, that's a terrible home slate for 2025.

best home game is auburn, which is middle of the pack as far as SEC home games go.

we better make the playoffs in 2024 because we'll have games at notre dame, at texas, at LSU and at missouri in 2025. Ouch. plus we wil lbe going to fayetville, correct? For as favorable as our 2024 schedule is we are getting screwed in 2025.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.