Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Daylight Savings Time - Love it or Leave It?

3,464 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Coffee:

Whether we like it or not, it's happening this Sunday, March 10. Daylight Savings Time. Do you like the extra hour of daylight when you get home? Is it hard getting up when it's still dark?

Let us know your opinion and you'll be entered to win a free bag of BTHO Morning Blend!

If you hate losing that extra hour of sleep, we can help you out! Order your coffee here and be prepared to Beat The Hell Out of Morning that first week of DST and beyond!

BTHO Morning is a single-origin, premium blend that is small batch roasted at the time of order, so it's always fresh. It boasts rich and bold flavors that are as robust as the Aggie Spirit. With every sip, you'll experience the warm embrace of chocolate notes, complemented by a velvety texture that caresses your palate.
one safe place
Retired, so time matters not.
greg.w.h
AG
It's silly. But establishing permanent saving time shift is idiotic.
12mn95
AG
I am pretty tired of it...but no decision will make everyone happpy
BaileyAg
AG
In the minority, but i prefer standard time
Crazy Ag 97
AG
greg.w.h said:

It's silly. But establishing permanent saving time shift is idiotic.

Agree. I always thought if we are going to set it at a permanent time, set half way between standard and saving (30 min) and be done with it for good.
Slicer97
AG
Get on it, stay on it, and never go back.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Before you get behind change, make sure you take the time to look at the tables that show what time the sun would rise and set if we stop changing clocks.

Permanent DST equals sunrises around 9 am in the winter. No DST equals goodbye to your late summer sun.

I say leave it as it is.
Dandy 76
AG
Love it and leave it. Leave it DST all year long.
He is Ass My Dude
DST is moronic.
TXAG 05
AG
He is Ass My Dude said:

DST is moronic.

It's moronic to not want it to get dark at 5PM?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The energy savings alone justify keeping it DST all year round. Not to mention the health benefits associated with not messing with people's sleeping cycles.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person in America who wants the numbers on the clock to mean something in reference to how dark it may be outside.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I hate changing my clocks and watches twice a year. I would say keep permanent standard time.
S.A. Aggie
AG
I like DST. Gives me more daylight to work on outside projects after work and periodically get a quick Axis hunt in the evening.
TombstoneTex
AG
I would vote a communist government into place to get rid of changing our clocks twice a year.
PA24
AG
Some of my friends are for it
Some of my friends are against it….

I am siding with my friends!
Kenneth_2003
AG
What's daylight savings time? Never heard of it.
TXAG 05
AG
TombstoneTex said:

I would vote a communist government into place to get rid of changing our clocks twice a year.

Yeah. That 30 seconds it takes is such a beat down
infinity ag
I don't care what time but don't keep switching back and forth twice a year
RossWag
AG
Daylight Savings Time - it was set up in the 1970's under the guise that this would give farmers more light to do their work. My father laughed at the notion and said "Farmers don't look at a clock, they get up before the sun rises and work until it's dark." The farming community did very little where clock time was a constraint, other than transporting the product to market.

It was finally revealed that DST was set up as a way to spur the economy by lengthening the amount of daylight at the end of the day and allow people to shop more when it was still daylight outside. One must remember that we were in "stagflation" and crime was high so people were afraid to go shopping and it be dark outside.

Go to standard time and leave it alone. We can adjust schedules to align with the amount of daylight. There is so much lost productivity because of time change and people forgetting to make the change, plus the stress of trying to get your kids to adjust.
Magneto
AG
I want the one where the sun stays out longer……..so confusing

At least name the events with names that make sense.

Daylight Lasts Longer Time
Daylight Go Away Time
TombstoneTex
AG
TXAG 05 said:

TombstoneTex said:

In addition to sleep loss, people are at greater risk of mood disturbance, suicide, and being involved in traffic accidents during both bi-annual transition periods. Oh and more heart attacks and strokes is also super fun!
Gunny456
AG
I do as well. It really sucks that its not dark till 9:30 to 9:45. Really unhealthy to eat at 10:00 to 10:30 and then go to bed. Just leave it as regular time. Only people that like it is kids and people who want play time imho.
Gunny456
AG
This!
MEEN_Ag_2012
As an engineer putting in 50+ hours a week, permanent DST means I'd get to enjoy *any* sunlight in the wintertime after I get home from the office... so that gets my vote. Whether sunrise occurs at 8am or 9am in the winter makes zero difference (to me).
TexAggie1999
He is Ass My Dude said:

DST is moronic.

Standard Time is moronic. How can anyone prefer less light in the evening? Without DST, it is dark by time most people get home from work.
TexAggie1999
Gunny456 said:

I do as well. It really sucks that its not dark till 9:30 to 9:45. Really unhealthy to eat at 10:00 to 10:30 and then go to bed. Just leave it as regular time. Only people that like it is kids and people who want play time imho.

Why do you have to wait until it is dark to eat?
TexAggie1999
TombstoneTex said:

TXAG 05 said:

TombstoneTex said:

In addition to sleep loss, people are at greater risk of mood disturbance, suicide, and being involved in traffic accidents during both bi-annual transition periods. Oh and more heart attacks and strokes is also super fun!

Fine. Get rid of Standard Time and don't do any time changes.
zafzo
While I prefer DST because I like the extra daylight after work in the evenings, I would be fine with standard time.

Just pick one and make it permanent.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
zafzo said:

While I prefer DST because I like the extra daylight after work in the evenings, I would be fine with standard time.

Just pick one and make it permanent.

I've never understood why it is only ever ONE or the OTHER?

SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE - move it 30 minutes and leave it there.

You get almost as much extra daylight in summer evenings and don't lose all of that daylight in the winter mornings.

Easy.

And computers/phones/calendars/etc. already account for time differences all over the world including some time zones on half hour boundaries (even some quarter hour boundaries). It would be easy. Being on the same hour boundary as GMT is irrelevant.

Bossman12
The days naturally get longer in the summer anyway. Who cares when it gets dark in fall/winter! Set the clocke to whatever the REAL time is and stop all the nonsense of DST.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TexAggie1999 said:

Gunny456 said:

Why do you have to wait until it is dark to eat?
The latest sunset of the year in our timezone is around 8:30PM. Do some of these posters live in Alaska?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.