Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

College Playoff Fun Facts

3,714 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggie
Claud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What were the 4 playoff teams doing at this point the past 2 years?

2015 Record AP Rank
Clemson 7-0 #3
Mich St 8-0 #6
Bama 7-1 #7
Oklahoma 6-1 #14

Oregon 6-1 #6
Ohio St 5-1 #13
FSU 7-0 #2
Bama 6-1 #4

63% of the playoff teams had 1 loss at this point in the season. 100% of the national champions had 1 loss at this point in season. Average AP Rank #7. Median AP Rank #6.

I don't care what anyone says...if A&M goes 11-1 then they have a legit shot of making playoffs. (Of course going 11-1 is the hard part.)

Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
texag_89
Op is right.

Out of UW, loser of UM/OSU game and the Ags, who will have the best resume???

BTW, I think our old friend Coach Leach is going. To give us and assist right into the #4 seed by beating UW like a drum at the end of the season... his team is playing well and that is just the kind of game (like ttu and the Ags) he finds ways to win.

Book it.
Claud
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

I thought he was at a urinal.
Claud
texag_89 said:

Out of UW, loser of UM/OSU game and the Ags, who will have the best resume???

You can do better than that. PSU holds tiebreaker over Ohio State. PSU also has a fairly easy schedule left. PSU still has an outside shot to win. Strager things have happened. Let's hope for a bunch of upsets.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
How many of those teams did not win their conference?? That's the biggest hurdle for Ags .
Claud
GoodAg Paulie said:

How many of those teams did not win their conference?? That's the biggest hurdle for Ags .
I was wondering how long until someone said that.

The playoff committee has only been around for 2 years. Some claim it is not just about winning conference titles (although that helps) and that the best 4 teams should be selected.

I really hope Ags can go 11-1. I think some conf champs will have 2 losses so it will be interesting to see how they handle the selection process. I mean only losing to #1 and playing in the SEC is a pretty good resume.
vonmazor
Need chaos. 2 losses to the pac, acc champ.
Need Baylor to win big 12 with 1 loss, West Virginia to win with 2 losses, or OU to win(and continue to look horrid.)
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

continue to look horrid

No problem there.
John Francis Donaghy
Quote:

The playoff committee has only been around for 2 years. Some claim it is not just about winning conference titles (although that helps) and that the best 4 teams should be selected.
Hasn't the committee openly stated that they place a very heavy emphasis on conference championships?

Also, playing in a conference title game is an extra boost in itself. Aside from earning the winner a 12-1 record rather than a non-champion's 11-1, an extra marquee matchup against a high quality opponent at the tail end of the season increases the overall strength of resume, and ensures that you are fresh in the committee's mind when they are making decisions.

Ags only hope IMO is if 2 or more of the P5 conference champions finish with 2 losses.
NyAggie
AG
I don't think the committee has said its a "heavy" emphasis on conference titles, just that it is one of the factors they use and will make a difference when teams are similar, so that tells me you had better have a noticably better resume than a conference champion you are being compared to

In the case of a 1 loss Washington or 1 loss BDF champ we'd have that
Aggie
AG
GoodAg Paulie said:

That's the part that he left out... Yes it's only a 2 year example but so far all 8 teams that have advanced to the CFP were conference champions.

I do think the Ags go 11-1... And end up on the outside looking in for the CFP.
I just don't see any way in hell the committee afte stating each of the last 2 years that " heavy emphasis is placed on conference championships" selects a team that doesnt even win the conference division.
No shame in finishing runner up on west to Bama... It's just not gonna get us in the playoff.
Ian Neff
AG
Clemson is losing in two days.

Libro that.
Bison
AG
This is going to require much chaos.

• Teams ranked ahead of us need to lose games, but Alabama cannot be one of those teams. A late-season Tide collapse makes the SEC look weak, even it means we win the conference.
  • A one-loss Pac-12 champ might still make it, if it's Washington losing a close game to Utah now but winning the rematch decisively.
  • An undefeated WVU will get in if there are only two Power Five undefeated teams besides them, unless they start having shoot-outs to win games.
  • A one-loss B1G team gets in if that team is Ohio State. A one-loss B1G champion from the West might also get a nod (Nebraska losing a game in the West but still winning the division, beats the East champion OSU or UM, unless that team has is a two-loss OSU or a one-loss UM going into the championship game).
  • If Clemson should lose a regular-season game AND lose the ACC championship game, there will be screaming about Louisville, particularly if Lamar Jackson is still the leading candidate for the Heismann and they finish 11-1.
  • Should those things all come to pass, there is the matter of what to do about an undefeated Boise State, if they are still that way.

There's too much going on. Everyone has to lose except us and maybe Alabama, and in most cases, there will need to be multiple losses to ensure the selection. And there will likely be a LOT of behind-the-scenes politicking to make sure that four of the Power Five conferences are represented, barring total and complete chaos. So the probability is quite low.

On the other hand, total and complete chaos could result in NO conference champion making the playoffs. Consider:

• A late-season bloodbath in the SEC, with the East champion beating an undefeated Alabama in the title game. (Let's say it's Tennessee after Florida gets curb-stomped by LSU)
  • A 12-1 Washington team that loses the Pac-12 narrowly to a two-loss (or worse) South team --or better yet, a two-loss WSU team winning the league, leaving 11-1 Washington out.
  • Clemson losing the ACC championship game.
  • A total bloodbath in the B1G, resulting in a two-loss team winning the league and a one-loss UM on the outside looking in.
  • Boise State loses a game.
  • Oklahoma wins the BDF with two losses.

You're the selection committee: are you really going to say your picks are Tennessee, Utah or Colorado, UNC or Virginia Tech, and a two-loss B1G West team (Wisconsin or Nebraska, but what the heck, Northwestern [who is still mathematically alive]? Meanwhile, you have 12-1 Alabama, 11/12-1 Washington, 12-1 Clemson, 11/12-1 UM, 11-1 Aggies, 11-1 Louisville, and 11-1 WVU (or Baylor). NB a two-loss Oklahoma team is still toast.
8T2

Quote:

• Teams ranked ahead of us need to lose games, but Alabama cannot be one of those teams. A late-season Tide collapse makes the SEC look weak, even it means we win the conference.

HaHaHa!!

If we win the conference, who cares what the SEC looks like? We are in.
Aggie
AG
Bison said:

• Teams ranked ahead of us need to lose games, but Alabama cannot be one of those teams. A late-season Tide collapse makes the SEC look weak, even it means we win the conference.1

• Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.