Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

International Global Tailgate (10/29)

1,836 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cuppycup
BraynFre3ze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I'm Eavin Antony with the International Student Association at Texas A&M. In view of promoting football to our students, we are hosting a Global Tailgate while we BTHO New Mexico State! It will be an inclusion tailgate for current international and domestic students to attend free of cost, experience camaraderie though a very important part of American college life, and network with other students.

We have partnered with 10 other organizations to organize the same. Although all the collaborating organizations are investing money, time, and other resources, we still need additional funding sources to make this event a greater success! With your support, we can make Global Tailgate happen and at the same time provide students who otherwise would not be able to tailgate - an opportunity to experience school spirit and pride during the football season!

Any support in the form of food sponsorships, games, monetary donations or even just advice will help! If you would like to support us, please contact me via eavin.ak@tamu.edu.
Zman91
AG
What is an "inclusion" tailgate?
BraynFre3ze
We are open to everyone who would like to attend the tailgate and have no restrictions on who can attend.
Post removed:
by user
BraynFre3ze
As international students new to Texas A&M, my friends and I have had other experiences. We would love to welcome all students (especially international students who've never been to a football game or a tailgate) and change their mindset about 'inclusive' and 'exclusive' tailgates.
AggieChaiWalla
AG
These are international students who are fellow Aggies from abroad who have become excited about A&M, Aggie football, and tailgating.

So they want to host a Global Tailgate that would encourage other internationals to feel welcomed and join in with the whole tailgate experience on a home game day. They are also generous to welcome anyone who wants to tailgate and connect with fellow Aggies from other countries.

As an Aggie I commend them for taking this initiative and encourage them to continue getting involved with the the total Aggie experience!

International Student Association (ISA) has collaborated with many international organizations to host this Global Tailgate. This is a first time for all these international students. They have observed what others have done for tailgating this season and will do some similar things as well as offering some things unique to tailgating.

Many international students don't know where to go for a tailgating experience. Or still just learning all about Aggie Life. So this is a great way to promote it among the international community and encourage them to come join and enjoy being an Aggie and game day excitement. Plus it allows others locally (American students and families) to also join and enjoy.

They are offering free food, international desserts (made and representative of various countries), various tailgating games, international music, Chinese calligraphy, henna, and an overall global flare to Aggie tailgating.

Therefore I think we should welcome their initiative and support their efforts. This could be in the form of encouragement and/or advice that could help them with their Global Tailgate.

Gig'em!
Frederick Palowaski
AG
What kinda beer ya got?
winorgetadog
AG
Good Bull. I hope you're able to get some more support and funding. I think it's important to bring more international and foreign students in to enjoy the one of a kind experience of an Aggie gameday/tailgate. It can only help and improve our perception among our peers and help build a global brand.
Ghost91
eavin.ak said:

As international students new to Texas A&M, my friends and I have had other experiences. We would love to welcome all students (especially international students who've never been to a football game or a tailgate) and change their mindset about 'inclusive' and 'exclusive' tailgates.
I'm calling BS. Would like to hear some specific, detailed examples of incidents where Aggies turned away fellow Ags from their tailgate based on their race or ethnic background.

Those are serious allegations - better be prepared to back that kind of stuff up rather than just toss it around and claim there are "exclusive" tailgates at Texas A&M.
HossAg
AG
Ghost91 said:

eavin.ak said:

I'm calling BS. Would like to hear some specific, detailed examples of incidents where Aggies turned away fellow Ags from their tailgate based on their race or ethnic background.

Those are serious allegations - better be prepared to back that kind of stuff up rather than just toss it around and claim there are "exclusive" tailgates at Texas A&M.

Well said
BraynFre3ze
Ghost91 said:

eavin.ak said:

While I can point out the problems with inclusion on A&M's campus, it is by no means my goal to "promote disrespect toward the university". But if you still think that there aren't such instances on campus, you may want to visit twitter and check out the hashtag #RacismAtTAMUFeelsLike. You think a tailgate won't have one?
agnerd
AG
You do realize this game is an American Football game and not a soccer game right?
Ghost91
eavin.ak said:

Ghost91 said:

eavin.ak said:

While I can point out the problems with inclusion on A&M's campus, it is by no means my goal to "promote disrespect toward the university". But if you still think that there aren't such instances on campus, you may want to visit twitter and check out the hashtag #RacismAtTAMUFeelsLike. You think a tailgate won't have one?
What kind of reply is this? You said you and others have experienced being excluded from A&M tailgates. So I asked for specific examples. And you come back with some vague thing about inclusion on campus and "promoting disrespect towards the university"? If you were discriminated against based on your race, and you pointed that out with clear verifiable examples, how would that be "promoting disrespect towards the university"?

Oh, and tons of credibility lost for bringing up that silly hashtag group as a legit source. Their shining examples of 'racismatTAMUfeelslike' includes seeing Trump stickers on a truck, and knowing that in the 50's blacks weren't allowed in.

Tell you what, I'll follow you and your buddies around to various Aggie tailgates this coming weekend, and if you are turned away from a single one based on your race/national origin, I'll foot the entire bill for your inclusive tailgate later.

Nothing wrong with holding an International Student Tailgate, but get out of here with your hints of "we've been told to leave tailgates based on our race" garbage unless you're going to back it up.
Zman91
AG
swinsi said:

These are international students who are fellow Aggies from abroad who have become excited about A&M, Aggie football, and tailgating.

So they want to host a Global Tailgate that would encourage other internationals to feel welcomed and join in with the whole tailgate experience on a home game day. They are also generous to welcome anyone who wants to tailgate and connect with fellow Aggies from other countries.

As an Aggie I commend them for taking this initiative and encourage them to continue getting involved with the the total Aggie experience!

International Student Association (ISA) has collaborated with many international organizations to host this Global Tailgate. This is a first time for all these international students. They have observed what others have done for tailgating this season and will do some similar things as well as offering some things unique to tailgating.

Many international students don't know where to go for a tailgating experience. Or still just learning all about Aggie Life. So this is a great way to promote it among the international community and encourage them to come join and enjoy being an Aggie and game day excitement. Plus it allows others locally (American students and families) to also join and enjoy.

They are offering free food, international desserts (made and representative of various countries), various tailgating games, international music, Chinese calligraphy, henna, and an overall global flare to Aggie tailgating.

Therefore I think we should welcome their initiative and support their efforts. This could be in the form of encouragement and/or advice that could help them with their Global Tailgate.

Gig'em!

schmendeler
AG
I'm beginning to see the unwelcoming attitude that the OP speaks of.
agsquirrel97
AG
I walk by hundreds of tailgates that I wasn't invited to get to the 2 or 3 tailgates where I know people. In general, people don't just walk into a tailgate where they don't know anyone.

I seriously doubt a fellow Aggie has been asked to leave a tailgate, but that doesn't mean an International student would feel comfortable just walking into a tailgate, grabbing a beer and shooting this bull with some unknown people - Aggies or not.

I think it is cool that this is happening, I would love to be invited to some crazy soccer party in a foreign country to party balls.
Zman91
AG
Zman91 said:

swinsi said:

Gig'em!

I think that using a word like "inclusive" to describe a tailgate is unnecessary. Why not just say "come and join us, everyone is welcome."
Zman91
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm beginning to see the unwelcoming attitude that the OP speaks of.
Really?
schmendeler
AG
yeah. being a jerk to someone and basically calling them a liar because they have had an experience different than your own is pretty ****ty. considering they are just trying to have an easily approachable event to make people who maybe haven't fully acclimatized to life in the us and particularly texas feel a bit of aggie game day excitement.
Post removed:
by user
Ghost91
schmendeler said:

yeah. being a jerk to someone and basically calling them a liar because they have had an experience different than your own is pretty ****ty. considering they are just trying to have an easily approachable event to make people who maybe haven't fully acclimatized to life in the us and particularly texas feel a bit of aggie game day excitement.
Not calling him a liar. Asking for examples of his VERY concerning allegations.

Was fully onboard with them having an "easily approachable event", etc. Things changed when he alleged that he and other international students have experienced direct exclusion. That doesn't sound like "they didn't look like our crowd so we kept walking". That hints at overt racism/discrimination. If that happened, I am very concerned/disappointed. But I don't think those allegations should be thrown around lightly. So I'd like to hear more. In response, we get the "oh there's a lack of inclusiveness all over campus, but I don't want to disrespect anyone, so go search some BLM-related hashtags.
schmendeler
AG
how about you just let it go. someone else threw out the challenge to their event, and he answered pretty diplomatically given the smart ass responses he'd received. you're the one that wants to make a big deal out of it.
Ghost91
schmendeler said:

how about you just let it go. someone else threw out the challenge to their event, and he answered pretty diplomatically given the smart ass responses he'd received. you're the one that wants to make a big deal out of it.
Meh, I may or may not let it go. I take allegations of racism/exclusion at my university seriously. Unlike most people these days, I'm not going to just assume that it's legit out of fear of being labeled a racist or bigot if I challenge those allegations.
cuppycup
AG
Just assume that some of the overt racists on the politics board also tailgate and it's easy to imagine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.