Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Rivals analysis Kellen Mond

13,029 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Deluxe
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JPK89
AG
Amazing how there is never an incomplete pass on this highlight clips...
SBISA Victim
AG
There is an incomplete pass in this video. The receiver dropped it, but the pass was on target.
Ag4coal
Really happy to have him. I think he's a perfect fit for mazzones system. I've thought all year that if we had a dak Prescott type (large, accurate, doesn't do dumb stuff) we would be unstoppable.

Only weakness that I saw from those few clips is he seems to struggle with underthrowing the deep ball.
JM13
Really excited to see him play at A&M
Agsuffering@bulaw
A lot of teams would be unstoppable if they had a QB similiar to Dak Prescott.
texag_89
I am no KM expert, but have watched him in 2 games this year and he really has some work to do throwing the football. He looks down receivers and has problems throwing the crossing routes.

I love him as a runner and if coached and trained, could be a good one.

Reminds me a lot of UT QB - good runner, decent Passer.

cedar
great talent but a long way to go to be an elite sec qb. glad to have him but we need stidham next year.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Love how he scrambles while looking to throw first, run second. Looks similar to how Deshaun Watson looked out of high school, just a tad smaller.
Tamu_mgm
AG
cedar said:

great talent but a long way to go to be an elite sec qb. glad to have him but we need stidham next year.
We have Starkel who should buy us a year to develop Mond. We are not recruiting Stidham.
Stone44
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Don"t remember msu being unstoppable .
cedar
We are recruiting stidham. That rumor that we aren't is pure bs. Just hide and watch.
aezmvp
Gonads23 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

MSU had terrible teams around Prescott. They were no where near unstoppable, but they really didn't have the breadth and depth of talent to what some of those teams achieved. What's he's doing at the NFL level is unexpected, and possibly a function of him having to do so much and now being able to do more by doing less.
Bowlinag
AG
Should we be worried about the QB trend of names that start with K.

Kenny Hill
Kyle Allen
Kyler Murray

Kellen Mound.

You think we can get him to go by his middle name or something???

JoKing. Can't wait to see him here. Looks like a great fit for the system.
dcbowers
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

cedar said:

We have Starkel who should buy us a year to develop Mond. We are not recruiting Stidham.

Starkel is gonna be a beast!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mr. Black
I like what Mond brings to the table. The fact that he'll be an early enrollee is the icing on the cake. The competition between him and Starkel will make both players better QBs.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Mond does not have TK wheels, so might as well look at the most accurate passer on roster- Starkel. He can't run out of sight in a week, but huge arm with superior accuracy.
Meximan
Quick take: not the fastest or most agile guy, but a smooth runner. No hesitation when he makes decisions. For not using all of his body, per the video's critique, still has a very sharp release and a tight spiral. Gets a lot of distance for using mostly arm in his motion. Ball maybe hangs a bit much, but all those throws were intentional touch passes.

Excellent get. Looks more like a mobile pro-style QB than a dual threat guy.
Meximan
texag_89 said:

I am no KM expert, but have watched him in 2 games this year and he really has some work to do throwing the football. He looks down receivers and has problems throwing the crossing routes.
To be fair, almost all high school QBs stare down receivers. At least Mond runs through progressions and makes it to two or three reads before the play is effectively at the Do or Die moment. Most QBs get to only the second or third read in their freshman year, and almost no college QB can make five reads in a single play; making four clean reads is a rarity, even for a senior college QB.

Also, almost nobody no-looks receivers like Derek Carr on every play. At some point, you will be staring down your receiver to throw the pass, because that's how QBs throw passes.

Crossing routes are also just hard, period. The combination of competing motions, angles, and timing, in concert with the traffic over the middle, makes it one of the more difficult throws to do well.

He's at least quite accurate, which isn't something you can teach, at any level.
titanmaster_race
Ag4coal said:

I've thought all year that if we had a dak Prescott type (large, accurate, doesn't do dumb stuff) we would be unstoppable.

So, if we had a fantastic college QB, our team would be much better? Let me write that down...
kentky
Stidham needs to be the QB next year.
knoxtom
He is a long way from being able to play. Needs to be completely taught how to throw.
bluecouchstudios
AG
cedar said:

We are recruiting stidham. That rumor that we aren't is pure bs. Just hide and watch.
Yeah, every time someone says that, my reaction is basically this:

texag_89
kentky said:

Stidham needs to be the QB next year.

^
|
|
This

Claud
I'm definitely no expert, but I don't think he will be ready next year. Glad he is coming here though and think he could be really good in a couple of years.

Sign me up as one who thinks we need Stidham. And I don't buy that we aren't recruiting him as so many have claimed with 100% certainty.
Ag1985
aezmvp said:

Gonads23 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

MSU had terrible teams around Prescott.

Wrong. They were very good with Dak and were ranked #1 for awhile.
Hu11abaloo
AG
So if we're silently recruiting Stidham while avidly denying it, it's to protect against dissatisfaction with roster QB's, like Starkel, who think they have a chance if he doesn't come here... Is that what the pro-Stidham crowd thinks?

I'm high on Stidham as well, but just find it unlikely that all sources, Texags and otherwise, would be in on blanket denying it until the end of this process, which is basically what I'm seeing everywhere I look... If every single source out there says we're not pursuing him, then we probably aren't... For the record, I hope that's not the case and that we are...
phatbeast
AG
Ag1985 said:

aezmvp said:

Gonads23 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

MSU had terrible teams around Prescott.

Wrong. They were very good with Dak and were ranked #1 for awhile.

That's the point. Dak carried those teams.
p8aggie
AG
How does Mond compare to Jalen Hurts? They seem very similar to me, but I've only seen a few games and not an expert like the zoo. I'm hoping he can come in and play as well for us as Hurts has done for bama.
tjack16
AG
Gonads23 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

they seemed pretty unstoppable when we went to Starkville in 2014
texag_89
p8aggie said:

How does Mond compare to Jalen Hurts? They seem very similar to me, but I've only seen a few games and not an expert like the zoo. I'm hoping he can come in and play as well for us as Hurts has done for bama.

Not even close... Think UT's QB, but not as physical and with the same throwing issues.
cc10106
aezmvp said:

Gonads23 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

MSU had terrible teams around Prescott. They were no where near unstoppable, but they really didn't have the breadth and depth of talent to what some of those teams achieved. What's he's doing at the NFL level is unexpected, and possibly a function of him having to do so much and now being able to do more by doing less.
I attended 2014 game in Starkville and can promise you this is incorrect. That was one of the worse beatings I have seen A&M take in recent years. They were stacked with upperclassmen that year and had a very good but not great season despite the wheels coming off a bit late. Regardless, they have steadily produced NFL talent, atleast on defense. Dak was great obviously and Houston should've drafted him, but make no mistake, Mullen deserves much credit for developing him into the QB he is now.
TAM85
If we were recruiting Stidham he would have been with the other recruits at the Tenn. game. Instead he was in the stands with his girl.
cedar
but he was in the stands wasn't he. its pretty simple. stidham is going wherever briles goes if briles lands a job. that may or may not happen however its unlikely he gets one. if he doesn't then stidham is the most highly sought qb in the nation that can play NOW and win NOW. its a waiting game. he's not talking and neither are we. like i said hide and watch.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Jake or a transfer will need to start next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.