Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What two OL issues was Sumlin talking about?

10,994 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MB19
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From today's presser, Sumlin said this about the OL:

We've got things that we've got to continue to fix. I think Jim Turner has done a great job with the line, but Noel Mazzone has done a good job masking some of the things that came about Saturday. With Alabama, we had matchup issues. We got behind and struggled. We had two issues we knew about going into the game. We've known about them for a while, but we've been able to get around them.
millertime40
Maybe one of them is the fact that our center cant snap the ball correctly. I give Knight a ton, and I mean a ton of credit for what he has done with receiving those snaps and still getting into the play.
Famous Shoes
AG
Blocking..and um Blocking..
Mr. Black
He could have been referring to the two freshman on our OL (McCoy and Prater). They're both talented kids, but they both need a lot more seasoning, especially against an experienced DL like Alabama's.
Diet Cokehead
AG
McCoy definitely has to be one of the issues. His snaps were terrible and he was getting killed by the Bama NG.
NyAggie
AG
The above quote by sumlin shows why mazzone is a good coach.

Good coaching is supposed to do everything it can to fix whatever is fixable but to also work around and limit weaknesses

Spav couldn't do that, but mazzone has been doing a good job of it all season
oldarmy1
AG
Those bad snaps equate to at LEAST a 10% reduction in completion percentage. Quick strike routes and timing routes are already out of sync due to A) the even split second time it takes to reign in a bad snap and B) the focus of TK on having to play "find the ball" instead of focusing on reading the defense.

How can it possibly persist over half a season? 100, 1000, 10k....whatever practice and training it takes get'r done because it is the biggest key to early play breakdown.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Youth and inexperience.
ol'Porkbelly
AG
millertime40 said:

Maybe one of them is the fact that our center cant snap the ball correctly. I give Knight a ton, and I mean a ton of credit for what he has done with receiving those snaps and still getting into the play.
I completely agree. Can you imagine how a true fish, or even Kyle Allen handling those snaps? I'm sure some of those would've been fumbled along the way and considering how close many of our games have been, I could see how that could have cost us a game here or there.

Big props to Trevor for not just handling those but making it look easy most of the time.
Brush Country
Mr. Black said:

He could have been referring to the two freshman on our OL (McCoy and Prater). They're both talented kids, but they both need a lot more seasoning, especially against an experienced DL like Alabama's.

Yep. Mccoys snaps were extra bad and prater got man-handled.

They are freshman after all.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
The O line gave Knight far more time than Tennessee got Dobbs.

I wish they could mow people down in the running game but that's now how we have done it all year.
SARATOGA
1) The guards can't block

2) The center can't snap

What do I win ?
TMartin
No mention of Lanfear......he had a rough game at Bama.
SARATOGA
Having said that Turner has done a good job of coaching up other people's offensive line recruits. But there is a long way to go to compete in the trenches in this league.

Mazzone and Turner have worked together on gameplanning. The young OL is much better at run blocking that pass blocking, so that is why Mazzone has done a good job of putting more of an emphasis on the running game, and calling pass plays where the blocking doesn't have to hold up for more than 1.5 seconds.

SEC Champs
AG
They may be young, but we're going to have a solid OL blocking for Mond/Blumrick in a couple years.
Rocco S
Asking a true freshman to block Jonathan Allen was a ridiculous plan, but not sure how we could've avoided that matchup.
halfastros81
AG
Exactly, no other good option available.
FishingAggie
SARATOGA said:

2) The center can't snap

You win the Texags douchbag award. Congrats.
You should be proud. To win you must prove :

You never played football
You don't know anything about football
You are an armchair coach

Winner winner winner.

Azz hat.

What do I win ?
merch
I will take the snaps being off a bit from time to time over getting run over through the middle every play last year and not being able to run between the tackles last year at all thank you very much.
Texmid
AG
I just don't understand how the bad snaps are still a problem. How hard is it to snap a damn football with a little velocity at the right height?
FishingAggie
Texmid said:

I just don't understand how the bad snaps are still a problem. How hard is it to snap a damn football with a little velocity at the right height?

Imo. There's a pretty tough guy lining up over the center. Someone Bama told to pins our center as he had a tendency to snap high. Hoping to get a turnover.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
merch said:

I will take the snaps being off a bit from time to time over getting run over through the middle every play last year and not being able to run between the tackles last year at all thank you very much.

We shouldn't have to choose.
stardustag
AG
I read it as he said we have two match-up issues...
AggiePops
Quote:

It isn't difficult at all - if you're doing it in practice with no one over you and you're able to concentrate fully on the snap. Kind of like its easy to complete passes across the middle, down the sidelines, etc. when you're playing pitch and catch with your receivers without 250lb LB and 320lb DL in your face.
zmurda
I can't believe Knight brushed off the snaps issue in the presser. He definitely covered for Erik there b/c those snaps have been atrocious all year. Trevor has basically been a WR back there.
Nino Brown
Mind boggling to me I've seen middle school centers snap better
Cobra39
Rocco S said:

Asking a true freshman to block Jonathan Allen was a ridiculous plan, but not sure how we could've avoided that matchup.
Is it too much to ask somebody to stand in his way?

Cobra39
Signel
AG
Quote:

That is unfair... hasn't been an OL this year that has blocked bama better. Sumlin said these guys are only going to get better. I am excited about our future considering a solid DL/OL. We just need to keep recruiting players that can make a difference right out of the gate.
TAM85
Knight brushing off the snap issues shows you how good a team player and leader he is. His comments are not lost on his OL or teammates.
MooreTrucker
AG
Cobra39 said:

Rocco S said:

Is it too much to ask somebody to stand in his way?

Cobra39

Because it's just that simple.....
Swing Your Saber
To echo what has been said:

I have seen kids make 100+ consecutive snaps perfectly in practice, & be all over the place in a game. Nerves, different enviorment, I don't know. It happens. Hopefully Turner can settle him down by MSST & fully address it in the off season.
gibby03
AG
Here we go again, a bunch of 25-50 year old men who never played center in their life complaining that our 20 year old center has some bad snaps and questioning the decisions of these coaches to leave him in there. If there was a better option at center that combines the size and athleticism that Erik McCoy does who could ALSO snap it better than him on this team, I would bet you a couple of bucks he would be playing center.

In my opinion I think Sumlin is talking about scheme in regards to what we can run and "get away" with because of our inexperience along the o-line. Prater was physically over matched against Bama, heck, 23 year old Seniors are physically over matched by those guys sometimes. Nothing against Prater at all, because it's obvious those are our best 5, regardless of what some of you armchair o-line coaches think.

I keep hearing people question why T Williams wasn't in the game as much. Simply put, Bama's defensive game plan and PLAYERS didn't allow it. Mazzone has been able to smoke and mirrors some deficiencies up front due to inexperience and Bama took that away. Ford was the power runner and our run game became limited because of that inexperience. Just my two cents.
Dale Gribble
gibby03 said:

Here we go again, a bunch of 25-50 year old men who never played center in their life complaining that our 20 year old center has some bad snaps and questioning the decisions of these coaches to leave him in there. If there was a better option at center that combines the size and athleticism that Erik McCoy does who could ALSO snap it better than him on this team, I would bet you a couple of bucks he would be playing center.

In my opinion I think Sumlin is talking about scheme in regards to what we can run and "get away" with because of our inexperience along the o-line. Prater was physically over matched against Bama, heck, 23 year old Seniors are physically over matched by those guys sometimes. Nothing against Prater at all, because it's obvious those are our best 5, regardless of what some of you armchair o-line coaches think.

I keep hearing people question why T Williams wasn't in the game as much. Simply put, Bama's defensive game plan and PLAYERS didn't allow it. Mazzone has been able to smoke and mirrors some deficiencies up front due to inexperience and Bama took that away. Ford was the power runner and our run game became limited because of that inexperience. Just my two cents.
halfastros81
AG
Accuracy of the shotgun snap would seem to be pretty coachable but so does free throw shooting and we all know the story with that. It definitely impacts timing on the zone read plays.
Tamu_mgm
AG
I think the whole OL had a bad game mainly because the Bama DL is THAT good. No excuse, they under-performed as a unit, but Bama had a large part in that. McCoy is still a solid center and our OL overall has had themselves a nice season other than this past game.

All that being said, McCoy's weakness is definitely his snaps. No question about it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.