Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC on Speedy Hit

24,558 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggiebrewer
DeepEastTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No punishment will be dealt.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/10/no_punishment_coming_for_mack.html

Apparently, safety rules don't apply to Alabama.
V8Aggie
AG
Oh good. Saban said it was a clean hit. I am satisfied.
mentorsubsea
AG
That's fine. The next time we play Alabama and Jalen Hurts has the football, let one of our defenders nail Hurts in the head. Hurts has the ball so he is not defenseless.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Quote:

There was helmet to helmet contact, but Wilson did not lead with the crown of his head, which would have made it targeting.

I just don't understand what world they're living in where they can claim this. The top of his helmet was the first thing to contact speedy, right in his facemask.

I suppose if you just deny the truth of something, it makes it very easy to explain why it wasn't a penalty, but there are still photos showing this.
C Loves L
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Quote:

There was helmet to helmet contact, but Wilson did not lead with the crown of his head, which would have made it targeting.

I just don't understand what world they're living in where they can claim this. The top of his helmet was the first thing to contact speedy, right in his facemask.

I suppose if you just deny the truth of something, it makes it very easy to explain why it wasn't a penalty, but there are still photos showing this.

Phenomenal Absolutism at its finest.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If only Sumlin had yelled at the Ref.
TexasAgs1
Why would anyone do something so dumb?
chipotle
Well, that just puts my mind at ease then. Even if the game was close (in the 4th) the refs wouldn't have allowed us to win. Should have just forfeited the game.
gambochaman
AG
was there ever any doubt?

then refs screwed us hard the whole freaking game...we're just going to have to accept that to beat alabama we'll also have to beat the refs
Rossticus
SEC office sucks. Never going to change.
Ag1985
Every situation is justified with a different interpretation. In my observation, it usually goes against us and favors tu. But the officials always have a new explanation.
BQ_90
AG
chipotle said:

Well, that just puts my mind at ease then. Even if the game was close (in the 4th) the refs wouldn't have allowed us to win. Should have just forfeited the game.
yea they'd never call something, like offsides against Bama with the game on the line.
DallasAg 94
Good thing Washington got a 15 yrder for barely pushing Hurts in the facemask.
Bottlehead90
AG
#onlybama'ssafetymatters
Ag1985
Quote:

CBS reported during the game that the SEC did not think it was targeting because Noil was not a defenseless player. There was helmet to helmet contact, but Wilson did not lead with the crown of his head, which would have made it targeting.

So is the reasoning that he was not defenseless or is it that Wilson did not lead with the crown?

They can't even keep their story straight. This targeting rule needs to be fixed.
John Francis Donaghy
Ag1985 said:

Quote:

CBS reported during the game that the SEC did not think it was targeting because Noil was not a defenseless player. There was helmet to helmet contact, but Wilson did not lead with the crown of his head, which would have made it targeting.

So is the reasoning that he was not defenseless or is it that Wilson did not lead with the crown?

They can't even keep their story straight. This targeting rule needs to be fixed.

Both.

There are two targeting rules.

One that requires the victim to be defenseless, which did not apply to the Speedy hit because he was an established ball carrier.

And the other which applies to hits with the crown of the helmet, which absolutely did apply to the Speedy hit.

The league saying Wilson didn't lead with the crown of the helmet is absurd. He obviously did.
Claud
Sure looks like the crown of the helmet.

Emilio Fantastico
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Ag1985 said:

Quote:

Both.

There are two targeting rules.

One that requires the victim to be defenseless, which did not apply to the Speedy hit because he was an established ball carrier.

And the other which applies to hits with the crown of the helmet, which absolutely did apply to the Speedy hit.

The league saying Wilson didn't lead with the crown of the helmet is absurd. He obviously did.

Absurd indeed. When CBS showed the slow mo replay of the hit, you could plainly see Speedy's face mask bending inward due to the impact of the top of the Bammer's helmet.
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
...and a toof.
aggiecouch
Ok I'll ask the dumb question...what's the official definition of the crown of the helmet then?
tandy miller
AG
The SEC needs to get their tongues out of Saban's *******
agsquirrel97
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
Flower Mound Ag 88'
Not trying to argue here, but how is this hit any different than our 12th Man stud's hit on the Tennessee kick returner 2 weeks ago?
1st thing I thought of when I saw this Saturday.

I will admit Noil's was twice as bad, but same helmet to helmet...

Fire away!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Look - Gary Danielson said that he thought it was the crown.

If Gary Danielson is saying you missed a call on Bama, then you made a MASSIVE miss on a call.

It would be like saying something that cause Donald Trump to say "Hillary is right about that" or vice versa.
agsquirrel97
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

this is the official definition of the crown of the helmet
aggieaviator
AG
Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

My emphasis. A defenseless player expands the definition of targeting but is not required. Somebody tell Rolling Stones Boy.
Sbisa04
AG
He obviously led with the crown. This ruling sucks.
Ulrich
I would like someone to explain what would have to be different about that play to make it targeting. Does the defender need to use the middle of the stripe on his helmet instead of the edge of the stripe to drive Speedy's face mask through his frontal lobe? Does he need to literally fly from the top of the stadium WWE-style rather than the more prosaic launching off two feet? Is there a minimum of three lost teeth required to call targeting or maybe you have to knock the guy out for several weeks instead of just a couple quarters?
Sbisa04
AG
Flower Mound Ag 88' said:

Not trying to argue here, but how is this hit any different than our 12th Man stud's hit on the Tennessee kick returner 2 weeks ago?
1st thing I thought of when I saw this Saturday.

I will admit Noil's was twice as bad, but same helmet to helmet...

Fire away!
Because Bama player was not engaged with a blocker. Different situation.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Ulrich said:

I would like someone to explain what would have to be different about that play to make it targeting. Does the defender need to use the middle of the stripe on his helmet instead of the edge of the stripe to drive Speedy's face mask through his frontal lobe? Does he need to literally fly from the top of the stadium WWE-style rather than the more prosaic launching off two feet? Is there a minimum of three lost teeth required to call targeting or maybe you have to knock the guy out for several weeks instead of just a couple quarters?

Needs to be wearing a different colored uniform with a different HC 30 yards away on the sideline.
Bunk Moreland
honestly, this hit and the non call doesn't bother me nearly as much as Reynolds being held, then raped on his TD catch.

That ref was right there the whole time, and Josh was initially held, then accosted when the ball was in the air and no flag.

Had he dropped that pass, there's no flag. F'ing ridiculous.
Flower Mound Ag 88'
Did not know that was even a factor. Thanks Sbisa
JJxvi
AG
The non-defenseless player part of the rule requires "forcible contact with the crown" meaning the guy needs to brace himself and forcibly launch, leave his feet, etc. If he's just running toward and through the tackle and he leads with the crown I still think thats not a foul by the rule.

The rule needs to be changed so that, no longer matters. Player safety and the quality of football would be improved if it was illegal to hit another player in the head with your helmet ever, and only judge on who initiates that contact. Of course, like trying to eliminate big wrecks in NASCAR, I imagine it wont go over well with the masses who want to see people "git layed out!"

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.