Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

QB

12,743 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tjack16
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trevor Knight is not the most talented QB in the FBS. However he does have intangibles that a lot of QBs do not have. Leadership is a big one. He is also tough and not a cry baby and can run a little bit. And although he has been a bit underwhelming this season in regard to statistics he can still get us to the end of the season with 1 loss. Which is a feat I am sure no one here really expected. I have a lot of respect for the guy.

Can you imagine us being where we are, fighting through tough overtime wins against good teams with K Allen or K Murray? No way. Those guys don't have the sack that Knight does.
Schrute
I like to be able to actually see our QB when he's on the field. That would have been impossible with Kyler.

But to OP's sentiments regarding TK, I agree 100%.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I respect and appreciate TK. Part of me wondered if Kyle Allen would have won us the game.
tarletontexan
S
dcAg said:

Trevor Knight is not the most talented QB in the FBS. However he does have intangibles that a lot of QBs do not have. Leadership is a big one. He is also tough and not a cry baby and can run a little bit. And although he has been a bit underwhelming this season in regard to statistics he can still get us to the end of the season with 1 loss. Which is a feat I am sure no one here really expected. I have a lot of respect for the guy.

Can you imagine us being where we are, fighting through tough overtime wins against good teams with K Allen or K Murray? No way. Those guys don't have the sack that Knight does.
Look, I like Trevor too but thats a little far bro.
Post removed:
by user
Azariah
AG
Trevor Knight is fantastic for this team 80% of the time. The other 20% he is a disaster. There is no happy middle.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Part of me wondered if Kyle Allen would have won us the game.

The Alabama game? No. But his 3 touchdown passes to Alabama last year helped Alabama win the game.
Oldfart2
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I respect and appreciate TK. Part of me wondered if Kyle Allen would have won us the game.

Part of me wonders if Kyle Allen would have figured which team to throw to.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
dcAg said:

Yes, I can see us succeeding with Junior Kyle Allen!
htownag10
AG
7 post and not one of them was "K"
eATMup-Reveille
Had Murray left, Kyle Allen likely would have stayed. Perhaps I should say if Sumlin had let the Murray circus go to Austin, Kyle Allen would likely still be here, not looking over his shoulder, and leading this team to a very balanced and productive offense. Some of you are too irritated with his departure to grasp what our potential truly could have been this year.

That said, I think Trevor Knight is exactly what this program needed considering what DID actually transpire. However, our offense is very limited in the passing game, especially on the shorter possession type passes.

I truly hope Sumlin has learned his lesson in regards to who is in charge of this program, and it is NOT some spoiled recruit and family.
Aftermath
AG
Trevor is a gamer and a tough guy, but he's had a number of years to develop and is "stop-gap" for us. Kyle and Kyler were young and inexperienced....Back to that , We will have to develop again next year.......remember, T Knight de-committed from us and went to Oklahoma, there was a time when we were not happy with him.
tjack16
AG
I think this team would be 8-4 or 9-3 at best with Allen starting. Trevor's legs helped us win against UCLA, Arkansas (offense was horrible except for his two long TD runs in the first half) and Tennessee.

With Kyle Allen, the passing game would be better... but I don't think our running game would be anywhere near as successful. You have to tip the hat to Trevor because he really knows how to run the read option.
shalackin
AG
he has grit, but he isn't a good qb. he makes terrible reads, if he even makes reads at all. and he is too quick to scramble and once he scrambles, his accuracy is really bad. good kid, good leader, bad qb.
eATMup-Reveille
tjholley17 said:

I think this team would be 8-4 or 9-3 at best with Allen starting. Trevor's legs helped us win against UCLA, Arkansas (offense was horrible except for his two long TD runs in the first half) and Tennessee.

With Kyle Allen, the passing game would be better... but I don't think our running game would be anywhere near as successful. You have to tip the hat to Trevor because he really knows how to run the read option.

8-4 or 9-3?? Wake up!!

Exactly why do you think our offense struggles??? It's because teams don't have to respect our passing game very much.

Try to imagine if we were very potent in the passing game. Our running game would likely be even stronger, except the read option. Heck, that might be pretty dang good also, as we would not need to use it as often in a well balanced offense.
marriedtoanag2013
Do Starkel and Hubes have smilair skill sets to Knight or are we going to have a different looking offense next year?
tjack16
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

tjholley17 said:

8-4 or 9-3?? Wake up!!

Exactly why do you think our offense struggles??? It's because teams don't have to respect our passing game very much.

Try to imagine if we were very potent in the passing game. Our running game would likely be even stronger, except the read option. Heck, that might be pretty dang good also, as we would not need to use it as often in a well balanced offense.
Kyle Allen was 8-5 at Texas A&M as a starter over 2 seasons... our offense struggled more when he was the QB than it does now. last year the highest amount of points we scored against an SEC team was 35, and that was with Kyler Murray against 3-9 South Carolina.

our SEC offensive outputs in 2015 with Kyle as the starter

Arkansas - 28 points (overtime)
Mississippi State - 30 points
Alabama - 23 points (Kirk punt return for a TD so technically 16)
Ole Miss - 3 points
South Carolina - 35 (Kyler started)
Auburn - 10 points (Kyler)
Vanderbilt - 25 points
LSU - 7 points

Even when he was our starter, our passing game wasn't really scaring anybody... we were so easy to shut down.
PatAg
AG
Maybe you aren't familiar with the concept of qb development
freethechief
Alabama's pass rush was difficult for Trevor to manage, I think Kyle Allen would have been getting sacked or throwing interceptions all day long with that pressure. He had ZERO pocket presence.
eATMup-Reveille
tjholley17 said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

tjholley17 said:

8-4 or 9-3?? Wake up!!

Kyle Allen was 8-5 at Texas A&M as a starter over 2 seasons... our offense struggled more when he was the QB than it does now. last year the highest amount of points we scored against an SEC team was 35, and that was with Kyler Murray against 3-9 South Carolina.

our SEC offensive outputs in 2015 with Kyle as the starter

Arkansas - 28 points (overtime)
Mississippi State - 30 points
Alabama - 23 points (Kirk punt return for a TD so technically 16)
Ole Miss - 3 points
South Carolina - 35 (Kyler started)
Auburn - 10 points (Kyler)
Vanderbilt - 25 points
LSU - 7 points

Even when he was our starter, our passing game wasn't really scaring anybody... we were so easy to shut down.

Different OC, much improved OL, and true speed at RB this season would have likely changed that tremendously.
Ags4DaWin
tjholley17 said:

I would invite you to go through the play by play of the Alabama game already posted here. Look at each read option plays and see how many times Knight made a bad read. Looks like he makes a good read about 50% of the time. The other 50% are bad reads and resulted in TFL.

Which pretty much falls in line with his pass completion percentage. Being able to successfully determine whether or not a DE is crashing down or staying put only half the time is HORRIBLE... You can pretty much match that by flipping a coin before the play and letting the Quarter Gods tell you what to do. So yeah. Ur claim is no good.

Don't get me wrong. He has intangibles. But overall???? Mediocre QB at BEST. Much better than KA or KM for sure. You can't get much worse than scoring -21 points in a game. But GOOD? Nahhhhh brah.
eATMup-Reveille
freethechief said:

Alabama's pass rush was difficult for Trevor to manage, I think Kyle Allen would have been getting sacked or throwing interceptions all day long with that pressure. He had ZERO pocket presence.

KA would have had to have a pocket to have pocket presence.

How quickly people forget.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Maybe you aren't familiar with the concept of qb development
Apparently neither are our coaches
tjack16
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

tjholley17 said:

I would invite you to go through the play by play of the Alabama game already posted here. Look at each read option plays and see how many times Knight made a bad read. Looks like he makes a good read about 50% of the time. The other 50% are bad reads and resulted in TFL.

Which pretty much falls in line with his pass completion percentage. Being able to successfully determine whether or not a DE is crashing down or staying put only half the time is HORRIBLE... You can pretty much match that by flipping a coin before the play and letting the Quarter Gods tell you what to do. So yeah. Ur claim is no good.

Don't get me wrong. He has intangibles. But overall???? Mediocre QB at BEST. Much better than KA or KM for sure. You can't get much worse than scoring -21 points in a game. But GOOD? Nahhhhh brah.
I would invite you to watch every game instead of using just one as a sample size. For example his running ability against Arkansas or Tennessee. That's like saying "I would invite you to watch the 2013 LSU game... Johnny manziel really isn't a good quarterback as you can tell by the tape"
Ulrich
He had lots of rotten throws and reads in those games, too. He's REALLY fast so when he gets it right he's great. We needed his personality this year and his downfield throws and running ability put a lot of stress on the defense, but there are plenty of glaring holes in his game.
eATMup-Reveille
Watch this and tell me again how we'd have been much worse off with Kyle Allen. Warning - it might make you sick thinking of what could have been had Sumlin not let the Murray circus basically chase this guy off.

[url]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE[/url]
Ags4DaWin
tjholley17 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

tjholley17 said:

I would invite you to watch every game instead of using just one as a sample size. For example his running ability against Arkansas or Tennessee. That's like saying "I would invite you to watch the 2013 LSU game... Johnny manziel really isn't a good quarterback as you can tell by the tape"

I only said that because the play by play and analysis has been posted in the zoo for easy viewing, so you can check for yourself, if you care to get a big fat dose of reality. My claim holds true for every game except prairie view that knight has played in.
Bob Dobalina

Quote:

Allen is a much better traditional QB than Knight but Knight's athleticism is miles ahead of Allen. Allen would not have survived that pass rush on Sat. or from some of the other teams we have faced this season. Knight is pretty good at avoiding sacks, and that was never a strength of Allen. Our pass blocking is pretty poor this season but that is a product of a lack of talent and experience. Knight's legs have absolutely helped us this season more than Allen's arm would have.
tjack16
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

tjholley17 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

tjholley17 said:

I only said that because the play by play and analysis has been posted in the zoo for easy viewing, so you can check for yourself, if you care to get a big fat dose of reality. My claim holds true for every game except prairie view that knight has played in.

I was at the Bama game and no he didn't have a good game. I never said he did. All I'm saying is that he's good enough to have this team looking at a possible 11-1 record.
Is he a top 3 sec QB? Maybe , maybe not. But we don't need him to be. He's our guy so I don't see the point in bashing him. He's played well enough to be 6-1 and he's been an amazing leader that we desperately needed at that position.
eATMup-Reveille
tjholley17 said:

I was at the Bama game and no he didn't have a good game. I never said he did. All I'm saying is that he's good enough to have this team looking at a possible 11-1 record.
Is he a top 3 sec QB? Maybe , maybe not. But we don't need him to be. He's our guy so I don't see the point in bashing him. He's played well enough to be 6-1 and he's been an amazing leader that we desperately needed at that position.

I am not one who is bashing TK. I am pointing out to those who think KA would have been a worse QB for us, that they forget how good KA was. Again, watch the video I posted of his 2015 highlights and tell me how he would have lost more than one game so far.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE

Red Pill
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

Watch this and tell me again how we'd have been much worse off with Kyle Allen. Warning - it might make you sick thinking of what could have been had Sumlin not let the Murray circus basically chase this guy off.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE
Didn't watch it, but is this the part where he throws three pick sixes against Alabama at home?
eATMup-Reveille
tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE
Didn't watch it, but is this the part where he throws three pick sixes against Alabama at home?
I assume you're too much of a coward to watch. Oh and I am certain he is the only QB EVER to have a bad game right smart guy?
tjack16
AG
just for comparison sake here are 2015 Kyle Allen stats compared to 2016 Trevor Knight stats

2015 Kyle Allen : Played in 10 games (record as starter in 2015 was 6-3)
teams beat Arizona State, Ball State, Nevada, Arkansas in overtime, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Passing: 160 - 283 2210 yards 56.5% completion 17 touchdowns 7 interceptions
Rushing: 65 attempts 102 yards 2 touchdowns

2016 Trevor Knight: Played in 7 games (record as starter 6-1)

teams beat: UCLA, Prairie View, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee

Passing: 129 - 246 1664 yards 52.4% completion 11 touchdowns 6 interceptions
Rushing: 78 attempts 526 yards 9 touchdowns

as bad as everybody says that Knight's completion percentage is ... it's only 4% less than Allen's. Also Knight has faced way tougher competition so far.
cedar
wish kyle allen was still here. mazzone would have done wonders for him and with him.
Red Pill
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

I assume you're too much of a coward to watch. Oh and I am certain he is the only QB EVER to have a bad game right smart guy?
Yeah, your Youtube videos scare the bejesus out of me. Since you're the uber searcher, see where he fits in all time pick sixes in one game.

Thought Allen was a good QB...until pressured.

And thanks for the compliment sports fan.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.