Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

QB

12,770 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tjack16
grl38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
who is our qb next season?
eATMup-Reveille
tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

Watch this and tell me again how we'd have been much worse off with Kyle Allen. Warning - it might make you sick thinking of what could have been had Sumlin not let the Murray circus basically chase this guy off.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE
Didn't watch it, but is this the part where he throws three pick sixes against Alabama at home?
I assume you're too much of a coward to watch. Oh and I am certain he is the only QB EVER to have a bad game right smart guy?
Yeah, your Youtube videos scare the bejesus out of me. Since you're the uber searcher, see where he fits in all time pick sixes in one game.

Thought Allen was a good QB...until pressured.

And thanks for the compliment sports fan.

One game...one game...does that not register for you? Comical that you believe one game determines the quality of a QB, or any player for that matter. If you actually took the time to watch that video, and could not see what a talent we lost when he left, then you have very little football intelligence.

By the way, the video does include instances where he is pressured, and yet somehow he was able to make plays. Wow, go figure.
Ian Neff
AG
My dude is.
Red Pill
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

Watch this and tell me again how we'd have been much worse off with Kyle Allen. Warning - it might make you sick thinking of what could have been had Sumlin not let the Murray circus basically chase this guy off.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kyle+allen+highlights&view=detail&mid=FEE2A4163263222E15BFFEE2A4163263222E15BF&FORM=VIRE
Didn't watch it, but is this the part where he throws three pick sixes against Alabama at home?
I assume you're too much of a coward to watch. Oh and I am certain he is the only QB EVER to have a bad game right smart guy?
Yeah, your Youtube videos scare the bejesus out of me. Since you're the uber searcher, see where he fits in all time pick sixes in one game.

One game...one game...does that not register for you? Comical that you believe one game determines the quality of a QB, or any player for that matter. If you actually took the time to watch that video, and could not see what a talent we lost when he left, then you have very little football intelligence.

By the way, the video does include instances where he is pressured, and yet somehow he was able to make plays. Wow, go figure.

That you Tom?
tjack16
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

tmintx said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

It was one game you are right Especially since Kyle had such a great bounce back game the next week... Oh wait
W
AG
taking this thread in a slightly different direction...

will Trevor make 1st or 2nd all-SEC at QB?

when the season started it seemed like Chad Kelly would be a shoo-in for 1st team and Dobbs for 2nd team. But right now neither will make it. Should be among Trevor, Hurts, and Allen I would think
tjack16
AG
I think if he can duplicate the stats he put up the first half of the season and we go 11-1 then he has to be 1st or 2nd team.
He's on track for 2500 passing yards and 1000 rushing, with about 30 total touchdowns.
Deputy Travis Junior
eATMup-Reveille said:

freethechief said:

Alabama's pass rush was difficult for Trevor to manage, I think Kyle Allen would have been getting sacked or throwing interceptions all day long with that pressure. He had ZERO pocket presence.

KA would have had to have a pocket to have pocket presence.

How quickly people forget.
No kidding. Not making excuses for his attitude issues, which seemed to be real, but our OL was absolutely horrific last year.

Three pick sixes was obviously an incredible stat (though the returns were the fault of the entire team, not just the fault of Allen), but the interceptions themselves were not. A historically good front 7 going up against a true sophomore QB behind a trash OL with a paint huffing moron calling plays? At least 2 picks was all but guaranteed and 3 wasn't at all surprising.
I already have a dog
AG
Trevor may do and say the right things off the field and as a quarterback he's more than capable of beating you running or throwing on any given play. That said, he is inconsistent both in decisions and execution and any claim to being a great leader fell apart when he chose to concede a touchdown that basically ended the game rather than try to make a tackle. A leader would have done what needed to be done.
Dennis Reynolds
A healthy Kyle Allen was pretty good but some of you are ashamed to admit it. Everybody starts talking about how bad he was last year after for a couple of games. And they all happened after he had a sprained ac joint. Which includes last years Alabama game.
Frank Grimes
AG
I haven't been impressed with TK's passing this year, but his two touchdown passes were pretty damn good on Saturday. Also, he suffered drops by Ford (2) and RSJ (that I can remember) and a pass to Trayveon who never turned around. He is better for us than Kyle Allen. If Kyle lights it up for the Cougars next year maybe I will reconsider, but from what I saw during his time with us, I do not think he was better for us than Knight.
BowhunterAg83
AG
QB is more than arm strength, size, speed, decision making. Some people just know how to lead ! TK is one of those guys.

Starkel is a better passer than Allen or any other QB we have here or scheduled to come in. Absolutely no wheels .

We need a dual threat QB to compete in the SEC!
bluecouchstudios
AG
cedar said:

wish kyle allen was still here. mazzone would have done wonders for him and with him.
The team doesn't wish he was here.
Famous Shoes
AG
I wish we could tangle his..intangibles!
Mr. Black
Allen is a talented QB, but he always seemed to be a little inconsistent and easily shell-shocked when bad plays occurred. He had a tendency to let mistakes snowball into more mistakes. QBs are going to make mistakes, the good ones develop a very short memory and shake off their errors quickly. Allen had trouble with that and needed to be pulled from games far too often. To be clear, Allen never struck me as a petulant "diva" like Murray, he just seemed kind of immature and lacking in confidence.

The pity of that whole deal is that a grizzled old OC like Mazzone just might have salvaged Allen. Spavital just wasn't equipped to handle the kid. Moreover, Mazzone would probably have insisted on a redshirt for Murray or simply told him to take a hike if he or his papa attempted any shenanigans.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

Kyle, shouldn't you be posting on the Cougar High Boards now?
swagfan
Kyle Allen got hosed. Good kid who thought he had to bail because the coaches tooled him around. He would have kept learning here with new coaches. Spav was terrible at developing.

Kyler Murray. Bye Felicia.
bluecouchstudios
AG
Kyle Allen would blame everyone else for his mistakes. He was not well liked outside of a few players. And I was told his dad was "in the locker room" far more than Kevin Murray (even considered). I realize the hate for the Murrays is a popular trend, and Kyler by all accounts was difficult, but don't let that blind you to the drama that surrounded Kyle Allen. I am glad they both transferred. I hope they learned from their experience and I wish them both success at their destinations. I do not wish they were still at A&M even if they do succeed elsewhere.
antman8504
AG
Kyle Allen sucks
antman8504
AG
bluecouchstudios said:

Kyle Allen would blame everyone else for his mistakes. He was not well liked outside of a few players. And I was told his dad was "in the locker room" far more than Kevin Murray (even considered). I realize the hate for the Murrays is a popular trend, and Kyler by all accounts was difficult, but don't let that blind you to the drama that surrounded Kyle Allen. I am glad they both transferred. I hope they learned from their experience and I wish them both success at their destinations. I do not wish they were still at A&M even if they do succeed elsewhere.
Too much truth. Kyle Allen lovers will never listen.
Ringo88
AG
eATMup,
It would have helped strengthen your case if the best of the selected highlights were not against Ball State and Nevada. I realize you had a limited selection from which to choose. That said, I can emphatically agree that in those pass plays, The Ghost made the plays look "Phenominal", per the background music.
Aftermath
AG
Kyle Allen has a few years to develop before we see how good o average he is.....Trevor has had a lot of "big time" experience.....jury is still out on Allen and Murray
dcAg
For those that don't think one game can make or break a QB's legacy/reputation I give you...Joe Namath.

I love Joe Namath and he was the man when I was but a wee lad starting to understand football. He is in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Completion % TD INT Wins Losses
50.1 173 220 68 71
cc10106
This thread sucks. You can be critical of TK without bashing the guy, a QB that TAMU is lucky to have right now after Kyle QUIT. I will say too much was put on KA too soon, mainly out of necessity, but he was not even close to the kind of leader TK is. A&M has ONE loss to a Bama team that may end up in GOAT discussion. I can see having another loss with KA because TK's wheels and intangibles were needed more than KA's arm this year. It's ike y'all forgot what the chemistry, or lack thereof, was like after Johnny split. Aggies with short memories though, go figure.
FrontPorchAg
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I respect and appreciate TK. Part of me wondered if Kyle Allen would have won us the game.
Not a chance Allen wins that game. He also doesn't come into the game with 6 wins.
Red Skye
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

Had Murray left, Kyle Allen likely would have stayed. Perhaps I should say if Sumlin had let the Murray circus go to Austin, Kyle Allen would likely still be here, not looking over his shoulder, and leading this team to a very balanced and productive offense. Some of you are too irritated with his departure to grasp what our potential truly could have been this year.

Lol. Are you kidding me? Sumlin would have been absolutely crucified if he had let Kyler slip to tu.
thebubbaisin
AG
swagfan said:

Kyle Allen got hosed. Good kid who thought he had to bail because the coaches tooled him around. He would have kept learning here with new coaches. Spav was terrible at developing.

Kyler Murray. Bye Felicia.
Ha! Allen was not liked by his teammates, and he would have never magically developed enough respect in the locker room to successfully lead a team in the SECW. Don't get me wrong, he has the talent, and some time with Mazzone instead of Spav likely would have done wonders for him.

However, teams need leaders, especially in their QB1. I'm close with a few former lettermen who have all told me the same thing: while Kyler was despised by most of the team, Allen was not too far behind. He was pouty about a tough situation and had lost credibility among the players. Allen didn't get hosed. A persons true character is revealed in the toughest of times.

I sincerely hope he learned from it and that he is wildly successful at UH, but he was never going to get the locker room back in College Station. A change of scenery is what he needed, and a strong leader, however flawed, is what A&M needed. It all worked out fine.
thebubbaisin
AG
Red Skye said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

Had Murray left, Kyle Allen likely would have stayed. Perhaps I should say if Sumlin had let the Murray circus go to Austin, Kyle Allen would likely still be here, not looking over his shoulder, and leading this team to a very balanced and productive offense. Some of you are too irritated with his departure to grasp what our potential truly could have been this year.

Lol. Are you kidding me? Sumlin would have been absolutely crucified if he had let Kyler slip to tu.
Truth! He might get crucified in arrears. If we struggle at QB next year (possible or even likely) and KA and/or KM do well, then Sumlin will hear it all over again.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Thank you TK! Mond is the future!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Quote:

or KM do well,
in the wild cat maybe. Won't be a stellar qb though. He has a place in the offense, like a gimmick play or something. Not a solid starter in D1.
Agsuffering@bulaw
KA was playing with a hurt shoulder. After the second INT, he should have been pulled.

Half of KA's failures are on the coaching staff. KDS used to give players too much rope. Spav was a garbage OC. The OL crumbled.

And all that locker room stuff- again some is on the coaches. You have to communicate leadership expectations. They need to understand that the QB is asked to take the least amount of pain of all 11 offensive players. But they WILL take pain if they want to win. They can NEVER appear weak in front of their OL who are asked to take a beating for them. They can NEVER appear weak to the RB who is asked to pick up blitzers who outweigh him by anywhere from 20-100 lbs. They MUST convince the OL that they will take whatever pain is needed to give the team a chance.

It starts when you recruit them. Instead of hookers and scrip clubs, you need to look at the kid and ask him how badly he wants to win. How much pain is he willing to take to win. If he cannot convince you, go find some 3* with heart like Graham Harrel.

If the QB does not understand that, you are better off suiting up a walk on who knows the system, even if said walk-on can only make half the throws in the playbook. You throw the other half out.

When they pout in practice, you need to put your foot up their azz. You need to lean on them. You need to squeeze the quitter out of them. You need to bench them the first time they pout or whine. Some QBs man up when you lean on them. Some fall apart. But the key is to expose them in practice. I think KDS finally started doing that this year.

Pussitude is a disease that spreads like the flu. It must be stamped out when first observed.

I coached for a few years. The HC had a soft spot for the quarterback. Probably b/c the QB was extremely talented but dad was out of the picture. That QB used to piss and whine all the time. The OL hated him. The team did not follow him. The HC was a hardazz on everyone else but let the QB slide. Guess what happened? We got beat in the first round of the playoffs in a close game by a team with less talent! The HC was a very good coach, but I never understood that particuliar decision. The backup was a scrub who could run some and was accurate enough in the short passing game, but was not a deep threat. The backup had heart. Not Rudy heart, but enough. We had great RBs. We could have run 90% of the time and made the second round of the playoffs with the backup. The QB ended up signing with a FCS program. He had the talent to play for a P5. The team had the athletes to make a deep run.
tjack16
AG
Bump.

I think the last 3 games have showed that our offense can't operate without a dual threat QB.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.