Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Strange Paradox of the SEC West

9,600 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by stexagg
lotoarmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is almost impossible to win the SEC West, but if you do, you have about a 80% chance of winning the National Championship.

Agree?
Last of the Old Army
phatbeast
AG
That's not really a paradox.
Schrute
It's not impossible to win the SEC West. Someone does every year.
Aggielandma12
AG
The Collective
AG
ntxVol
Ole Miss and LSU will soon crawl back into the hole from whence they came.

Then it will be a bit easier...HTH
halfastros81
AG
I hear you on Ole Miss but what makes you say that about LSU? They have a dominant recruiting position in a state full of talent. They probably have a 50% shot to
Upgrade their coaching staff. Pretty good reasons to think they are not going away
halfastros81
AG
Yes, but it's the same team about 60% of the time. So very difficult for anyone outside of Bama.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's less of a paradox to me and more that the SEC West simply has the most dominant program in the country in Alabama.
ffco
Seems more linear sequential than paradox.
Agsuffering@bulaw
It only appears paradoxical because of the way the statement was worded. The statement assumes that winning a division should not be so difficult. For most divisions, that would be correct. It also assumes that winning the MNC should be more difficult. For most division winners, that would be correct.

"Because the SECw is so badazz its hard to win. But, whomever wins it has an 80% chance of winning the MNC." would have eliminated any apparent contradictions.

Paradox:
"a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory."
BMX Bandit
lotoarmy said:

It is almost impossible to win the SEC West, but if you do, you have about a 80% chance of winning the National Championship.

Agree?

Do not agree.
ntxVol
halfastros81 said:

I hear you on Ole Miss but what makes you say that about LSU? They have a dominant recruiting position in a state full of talent. They probably have a 50% shot to
Upgrade their coaching staff. Pretty good reasons to think they are not going away
LSU's AD is a dipstick for starters. Builtin advantages don't always translate into success, there are many examples in the CFB world, just look around.
Decay
AG
PARADOX: THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE OR TRUE OR ACTUALLY WHY IS MY CAPSLOCK ON OH MAN ALL MY EMAILS TODAY PEOPLE WILL THINK I'M YELLING
halfastros81
AG
Agree with you about Alleva. I think he's on a short leash tho. Hasn't made good hires.

Would like to think you are correct with regard to LSU football .... but I really don't.
who?mikejones
AG
Being in the SEC West right now is about the same as being a pro golfer when tiger was at his peak.

It doesn't matter how hard you try, you're still playing for second.
Ulrich
Members of the SEC west have a 14% (1/7) chance of winning the division and an 11% chance of winning the national championship (using your 80%).

Saban has won the west 67% of the years he has coached here. 33% / 6 = 5.6% chance for non-Saban teams to win the West and 4.4% chance to win the NC (still using 80%).

There are 128 FBS teams, so the average team has a 0.7% chance of winning the NC. Thus, non-Alabama SEC west teams are nearly 6x more likely to win the NC than the average team.
KeithDBsSock
That's not a paradox. Now this is a paradox.

Captain Kirk often found himself at the center of paradoxes.

It turns out robots basically self destruct when presented with any paradox.

95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

It is almost impossible to win the SEC West unless you are Alabama ... or LSU once every blue moon.

FIFY
gigemags-99
AG
My favorite Paradox to discuss is the paradox of progress
Sefton
Aggielandma12 said:

vonmazor
Alabama seems to have no trouble winning it.. year after year..
lil_frog8
AG
tjack16
AG
It seems like (during the 5 years we have been in the SEC west) that there will always be ...

- one national title contender 11-1/12-0 team (Bama),
- one or two 9-3/10-2 teams
- 3 mediocre teams (7-5/8-4)
- one bad or 6-6 team

you could probably group them as

11-1/12-0 = Bama (with the exception of 2013 Auburn)
8-4/9-3/10-2 = any combination of Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M
6-6/7-5 or worse = Mississippi State and Arkansas
ntxVol

el_guapo
Hot Boudin
ntxVOL said:

Ole Miss...ok

But LSU is typically right around Tennessee (sometimes ahead and sometimes behind) and ahead of Texas A&M in all time rankings lists. LSU isn't going anywhere.
lotoarmy
AG
Quote:

Members of the SEC west have a 14% (1/7) chance of winning the division and an 11% chance of winning the national championship (using your 80%).

Saban has won the west 67% of the years he has coached here. 33% / 6 = 5.6% chance for non-Saban teams to win the West and 4.4% chance to win the NC (still using 80%).

There are 128 FBS teams, so the average team has a 0.7% chance of winning the NC. Thus, non-Alabama SEC west teams are nearly 6x more likely to win the NC than the average team.

Boy, wish I could have spelled it out like that!
Last of the Old Army
eeinhouston
ntxVOL said:

Recruiting Rankings

Year LSU A&M
2016 #3 #18
2015 #6 #11
2014 #2 #5
2013 #6 #9
2012 #14 #16

LSU has out-recruited us every single year we've been in the SEC. How about we out recruit them once, just once, before we start claiming their demise and our superiority. Also, we are 0-4 against them since joining the SEC. How about we get to 1-4 before we start predicting victories.

LSU is big, fast, strong and still very talented. That's the mystery of how they were only noticeably better than us but not dramatically better than us. That was on poor coaching, and they may have just improved on that mid-season. It will still be an upset (talent wise) if we beat them this year.
NyAggie
AG
Gotta agree with eeinhouston,
JJxvi
AG
The division has won 6 out of the last 9 titles, but only 5 times has the division winner been the champion.
Meximan
ntxVOL said:

halfastros81 said:

LSU's AD is a dipstick for starters. Builtin advantages don't always translate into success, there are many examples in the CFB world, just look around.

Like the ones at A&M?

I made myself sad.
dirty dan
It is easier to win the National Championship than the SEC title. See 2012 BCS Championship game for reference.
GinMan
AG
Bitter Old Man
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.