Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

OL / DL Review (Almost every play)

6,850 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BowhunterAg83
Joseph Parrish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost91 said:

AGGIEZ12 said:

Anyone have the Cliff's Notes version?
Yes. We got dominated and lost, just like any unbiased fan knew would happen.
Biased fan or not, we had a chance to win this game until the last 30 seconds of the 3rd quarter. We left some big plays on the table, even if they had better athletes.
Decay
AG
Ghost91 said:

AGGIEZ12 said:

Anyone have the Cliff's Notes version?
Yes. We got dominated and lost, just like any unbiased fan knew would happen.
Yeah... so that's not entirely what it says and you sound whiny
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Quote:

Q3 Defense 11:36 - Everybody wants to blame Washington for not ending this drive, but Evans has a clear shot to stop Hurts before the 1st down marker here if he doesn't go for the kill shot.

This was the play where I felt like we blew the game. We had just scored the TD to take the lead and had a chance to force a three and out. Evans goes for the shoulder tackle instead of form tackling and whiffs.
Athanasius
SEC Champs
AG
OP - when you put these mistakes in perspective, do you see lack of preparation on our part? Did we abandon our game plan and fundamentals, or did they look completely unprepared by our coaches? Or was Alabama's game plan something so unique, we were on our heels the entire game?
Joseph Parrish
AG
Wede01 said:

OP - when you put these mistakes in perspective, do you see lack of preparation on our part? Did we abandon our game plan and fundamentals, or did they look completely unprepared by our coaches? Or was Alabama's game plan something so unique, we were on our heels the entire game?
I don't think it was a really lack of preparation. Bama's front 7 was just more physically dominant. That's what happens when you have a pipeline of 5 stars coming in every year. But it definitely tells you something that we were outmatched physically but still had a chance in this game. We were still in it up until 30 seconds in the 3rd Quarter.

I do think that Trevor struggles with making the correct read on a lot of the option plays. We've seen Trevor fight through and make up for a bad read with effort (see his UT touchdown). When you're up against a defense that is this good, you can't afford to have too many mental mistakes. I don't think it's coaching because you can see how successful the play would be had the correct read been made for pass plays and run plays. In my eyes it's more of a problem with decision making and execution. Now before I get bashed for hating on Trevor (which I'm not, but some of you will take it that way)...I think Trevor is obviously a big reason for our success. Trevor does have his shortcomings though. I think the zone read is one of those short comings.

Now our OL and DL got dominated at times. Getting beat physically doesn't always mean the play is a bust (chances are good, but the play could be to the other side), but making the wrong decision (a mental error) can immediately bust a play. Hopefully that makes sense to you guys.
TexasAgs1
Thanks for compiling and posting this Joe. It had to have taken a lot of time. Really awesome work.
SARATOGA
Here is the Cliff Notes version.

Alabama had better players at OL, DL, and LB from a physical standpoint 100% of the time.

Alabama players were better mentally and schematically 75% percent of the time.

25% of the time TAMU talent matched our scheme and we had a positive play.

Joseph Parrish
AG
SARATOGA said:

Alabama had better players at OL, DL, and LB from a physical standpoint 100% of the time.

See I'm not really interested in giving a Cliff Notes version because I'm not trying to give you a general description of what happened in the game. I'm trying to give you a detailed explanation of why certain play did or didn't work. Anybody can see we were physically overmatched. That doesn't explain how each one of our successes or failures happened though.
BusterAg
AG
Good work here.

In all, I think that BAMA wins for two reasons:

1) They are better physically. They are just bigger and stronger.

2) They know this, and so they don't press. They don't have to play to win, they just have to play not to beat themselves. Nice, calm, methodical Ice Man, grind out what we will give them, and wait for us to make a mistake when we have to stretch to try and win.

We played a good game. The better team won. But, it was a closer game than the score shows, thanks to some home cooking, and a couple of unlucky bounces.
Good Poster
AG
You must have no life
SEC Champs
AG
Washington obviously had poor judgment and problems tackling and positioning. Would you say this was his worst game? Haven't heard his name brought up often before...
aggie2812-2
AG
Your hired for the next vacant coaching position
Joseph Parrish
AG
Wede01 said:

Washington obviously had poor judgment and problems tackling and positioning. Would you say this was his worst game? Haven't heard his name brought up often before...
Actually no. He was pretty effective most of the time. It just so happened that his biggest mistakes came at crucial times. His two biggest mistakes were the hands to the face and the whiff on the QB spy. Other than that, he didn't have that bad of a game.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Is this thread the defining inflection point of TexAgs? Did we just enter the football era again..
Joseph Parrish
AG
If you don't want to read it, you don't have to. As a former player, I kind of have a habit of rewatching game film. I've done it for years. I just started recording my thoughts. I also know the TexAgs crowd wouldn't like it as much without a visual, and these no huddles on YouTube make it easy to post links to support my comments. So you're welcome jackass.
MondayMorningQB
AG
And quality work here
Ian Neff
AG
Joseph, there was another poster who said he'd pay for this kind of content - and he has a point. What you've created is a great example of what the Texags brass should consider providing for it's paying customers.

You've done a great job.

I will fight anyone who bothers you.
Agsuffering@bulaw
OP, some idiots on here refuse to read more than a few sentences. The vast majority of us probably appreciate your analysis.
unmade bed
Hey OP, maybe convert the clips to gifs next time and imbed them in the post???
unmade bed
Just kidding. That was an awesome post. Thanks. Would definitely read this kind of stuff again. It is depressing to watch though.
FJB
AG
EPIC job OP. Thank you
Hu11abaloo
AG
OP:
agsquirrel97
AG
Appreciated! blue chute for great analysis
OrygunAg
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

SARATOGA said:

See I'm not really interested in giving a Cliff Notes version because I'm not trying to give you a general description of what happened in the game. I'm trying to give you a detailed explanation of why certain play did or didn't work. Anybody can see we were physically overmatched. That doesn't explain how each one of our successes or failures happened though.

I appreciate the insights, then again I'm not cliffs noting my life away.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Great write up!

We must be better when ole miss rolls into town!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.