Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Tom Herman really that good of a coach

17,361 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdaddy04
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charlie Strong won a BCS game.
85AustinAg
AG
Herman is an unproven Kevin Sumlin. Those thinking Herman's all that think so because he's been at this for only a couple of years and he looks good on paper. Sumlin has proved a lot this year with his offseason program changes, his coaching staff, strength program, etc. I think he's figured it out.

Consider it like this. Would you want to give Herman 4-5 years of on the job training to figure out the SEC because I think Herman's upside from what we've seen is about like Sumlin's.
AgsForTheWin
AG
Maybe tu will keep Charlie now!
RGLAG85
AG
If his players have quit on him as some have suggested or they're playing flat, that's an indictment of Herman as a head coach. I'll let you geniuses figure that one out.
bulljiggy
AG
No
fightinag
O V E R R A T E D !!
Ragoo
AG
ce1994 said:

Sumlin did everything at UH that Herman has done. I get the Florida State game but the last place in the world FSU wanted to be that day was there.

sumlin did the same at UH but he did it over 4 years. he also had 20 years of coaching experience prior to that with all but 2 years at a power 5 school. Herman has a combined 7 years coaching in a power 5 environment.
Citizen Reign
Bunk Moreland said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

This is the part where people excuse Houston losing by 2 TDs to SMU while saying sumlin will never get it done for losing to the best team in the country.

Sumlin has 4.5 years at a power 5 school and Herman has 1.5 years at UH. He did more in one year at UH than Sumlin did at the same school.

I agree looking through a prism of purely the bama game and making outlandish comments is silly, but Sumlin has set forth evidence that folks can use to make the argument. I happen to think if we go 10-2 then it's a good year and we met expectations so we're on track.

But thoughts of Herman's potential as a HC and Sumlin at this point in his career are not mutually exclusive.

Sumlin went 13-1 too.

Herman loss to Conn and Sumlin loss to Southern Miss. Not sure what bowl selection has to do with comparing two teams that ended a season with the same one loss record. Both losses were to average teams at or near the end of the season.
DayAg!
S
No.
trm94
AG
He is better than Sumlin... It is all about fit, and Herman fits Texas very well. He will OWN Sumlin on the recruiting trail. Already does, and is still at UH
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Will lose two more games this season.
agdaddy04
AG
Are you for real?
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

He is better than Sumlin... It is all about fit, and Herman fits Texas very well. He will OWN Sumlin on the recruiting trail. Already does, and is still at UH

I've read 2 of your posts tonight on separate threads. They both were full of sheit.

Like your last sentence, "Already does and is still at UH."

UH signed 2 guys with A&M offers last year. A&M signed 12 or 13 guys with UH offers.
This year UH has verbally committed 0 guys with A&M offers. A&M has verbals from 12 guys with UH offers.

So how the hell does he "own" Sumlin on the recruiting trail? Look, if you want to bash Sumlin at least do it without talking total rubbish where you lose all credibility and people just start ignoring your trolling.
deadbq03
AG
CJS4715 said:

I'd say the jury is out on Herman. I wouldn't risk $20 million guaranteed on him if I were in charge of hiring, that's for sure.
Yep. And if I was an LSU fan, I'd much rather keep Coach O for 3 mil or less than get into a bidding war for Herman.
AggieRob93
AG
trm94 said:

Lol, no.

But please continue to call it as you see it for these Ags who are ranked in the high teens of the AP poll. Oh wait....
trm94
AG
How many highly ranked players is A&M in play for? I'll wait for your answer, but we will have to get our stars from other states. Texas elite are leaving the state because the only non-suck option is A&M. Should tell you what high schoolers think of Sumlin and his staff.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I hope he's a done deal to tu and loses to UCF, Memphis and Louisville and their bowl game.

Sips stuck with a 7-6 UH coach.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

sumlin did the same at UH but he did it over 4 years. he also had 20 years of coaching experience prior to that with all but 2 years at a power 5 school. Herman has a combined 7 years coaching in a power 5 environment.

Which is why Sumlin was less of a risk for a power 5 HC job than hiring herman would be now

Herman could be great, but the goo-fest that the media and everyone on these boards has for him is just not warranted at this point in his career

And these latest losses by UH just go to show that nothing is ever as sure a thing as people think it is

zephyr88
AG
Cougar High fans are starting to feel like it's 2011 all over again...
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

How many highly ranked players is A&M in play for? I'll wait for your answer, but we will have to get our stars from other states. Texas elite are leaving the state because the only non-suck option is A&M. Should tell you what high schoolers think of Sumlin and his staff.

The answer is quite a few. According to 247 & the crystal balls, we are in play for 4 5 star players and numerous 4 star players. Two of the 5 star are in state and 2 out of state. Most of the 4 star are in state. The crystal balls are almost consensus that we will get 2 4 star LBs, both in state guys. We have a very good chance with 2 of the 5 star and an outside shot with the other 2. I would not be surprised if we end up with 1 or 2 5 star guys and 3-4 4 star guys.

The only reason recruiting took a dip was because of the QB fiasco last year. But winning has quickly put things right again.

Look, if you don't know what you're talking about, it's really best not to make a fool out of yourself.
jpbrad
You are right, I have definitely cooled off on Herman. W and L's will do that. With all due respect, I feel the same about Coach Sumlin.
Bob Dobalina
For everyone saying he is the next Urban Meyer, Meyer's teams never relented or looked back during his final year in Utah, even though everyone knew Meyer was gone.

Herman is a talented young coach but he is thin skinned and got his ass kicked by two teams with much less talent than he has.That is a warning sign, not that he is a bad coach but that he isn't the next Saban/Meyer either.

In all likelihood, he has more losses this season in him if he cannot keep his team focused. Being destroyed by SMU is really bad, and is not an easily excused loss.
swc93
AG
We going to have a new Herman thread every two days until he what?

Loses two more games, gets hired away from Houston or gets caught on video full on open mouth kissing a lineman?
Ragoo
AG
NyAggie said:

Quote:

Which is why Sumlin was less of a risk for a power 5 HC job than hiring herman would be now

Herman could be great, but the goo-fest that the media and everyone on these boards has for him is just not warranted at this point in his career

And these latest losses by UH just go to show that nothing is ever as sure a thing as people think it is

sorry, this was my point. Sumlin did a lot but he has more skins on the wall to justify why he had success. His grooming to be a HC was spent in the big leagues. Herman's grooming was as an assistant at horn and OC at ISU and tosu the rest of his coaching career has been at minor programs.
Citizen Reign
trm94 said:

Keep trying, guy.
one of the your post is bound to workout for you.
agdaddy04
AG
After seeing what he posts, I have my doubts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.