Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Tom Herman really that good of a coach

17,374 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdaddy04
Joeboo01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seriously, let's look at his resume.
1st year head coach, won at cougar high and beat FSU in big bowl game.
2nd year, beat a half decent ou team, lost to Navy and now a bad SMU team.
Does this really make him a "great coach".
Dont get me wrong he is good but not that spectacular hire. Just my two cents.
91 CT
AG
Could be that his team has quit on him since they know he's probably out of there once the season is over....
Tomdoss92
AG
yeah he really should have had a medical issue and sat out the rest of the season after the OU game. nowhere to go but down. like some people think clowney/fournette should have done.
dcbowers
AG
Imagine if this was Sumlin's record.

Pitchforks and torches!!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agsrock44
91 CT said:

Could be that his team has quit on him since they know he's probably out of there once the season is over....

I keep hearing this argument. They were the #11 ranked team going into Saturday. They have a lot to play for and whatever is going on with Hetman's future is being done completely behind the scenes by his agent. UH is a product of having better talent than the crap conference they play in and award pulling plays out of his ass because he's a better athlete than most of the competition. Herman doesn't do anything that creative, Ward just makes a lot of plays. He got outcoached last night and it wasn't even close. The players are distracted/ quit on him just doesn't seem feasible to me.
Bunk Moreland
Herman has already won a NY6 Bowl game at the University of Houston.

Yes he's good.
AggieRob93
AG
Too early to tell how good of a coach he is. That being said, if he was any sort of quality coach, no way coog high loses to the ponies yesterday, especially in the manner in which it occurred. But, I would say the jury is still out.
jaxisback
He's a fantastic coach. His resume is outstanding at all levels. As a Head Coach, as a coordinator, as a position coach, education, intelligence, you name it. He's been successful with power 5 level teams, both have's and have not's and he's been successful with non p5's.

The loss to SMU was ugly, but even the great one's have them. UH looks to me like a team that thought they were going to wreck the CFB playoff party and have now seen the rug pulled out from under them. They have not recovered.

No coach is a sure thing, but Herman is a pretty good bet.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
This is the part where people excuse Houston losing by 2 TDs to SMU while saying sumlin will never get it done for losing to the best team in the country.
FL_Ag1998
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

This is the part where people excuse Houston losing by 2 TDs to SMU while saying sumlin will never get it done for losing to the best team in the country.
DrZ
AG
Resume's do not make coaches great as head coaches of major programs, There is a lot of aspects that have nothing to do with X and O s, Herman's weaknesses are in those areas. He is not cut out to be a big time head coach at a major program.

As far as his team quitting because he is leaving this is probably true
Bunk Moreland
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Sumlin has 4.5 years at a power 5 school and Herman has 1.5 years at UH. He did more in one year at UH than Sumlin did at the same school.

I agree looking through a prism of purely the bama game and making outlandish comments is silly, but Sumlin has set forth evidence that folks can use to make the argument. I happen to think if we go 10-2 then it's a good year and we met expectations so we're on track.

But thoughts of Herman's potential as a HC and Sumlin at this point in his career are not mutually exclusive.
Tudster
AG
dcbowers said:

Imagine if this was Sumlin's record.

Pitchforks and torches!!!

Now imagine he's white... oh wait.
libertyag
AG
Dude got a grill.
Wabs
AG
Can you imagine the complete meltdown if Summy lost to SMU???
Agsgirl
I think Herman is a good recruiter, a good head coach but I think that when tu was eyeing him, it went to his head and the talk killed the spirit of his team and sucked the emotion that the team played with. He could have had a lights out team, but instead has a midseason melt down. tu eyes may not be upon him much longer and may be eyeing Lane Kiffin or Briles. That's why I think Briles is where he's at, to bring back some credibility to his reputation....
Ian Neff
AG
No.
Joe Exotic
AG
Fran 2.0
Bunk Moreland
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Fran 2.0

Not even close. And his HC history is the first sign of that. Fran was a HC for 17 years before getting to a power 5 school in bama.

Come up with something better than that.
AnScAggie
AG
I posted on another thread that I think the bloom is off of Herman's rose. I think that even more today considering he will most likely lose to Louisville. So the coach that everyone thought would write his own ticket to tu, ND, Oregon, USC, LSU, or wherever he wanted to go is now facing a 9-3 season. That's not a bad season, heck we'd have traded a kidney or the naming rights to our first born for mulitple 9-3 seasons in the 00's, but Herman is most likely going to compile a 9-3 or possibly an 8-4 season playing the following teams: OU, Lamar, Cincinnati, TxSt, Connecticut, Navy, Tulsa, SMU, UCF, Tulane, Louisville, and Memphis.

Houston has so much more talent than Navy and SMU that the coogs should have been able to win on autopilot. So did they lose because they got out coached or did they lose because the kids mailed it in since their coach is gone at the end of the season? Either reason should be enough to give major CFB programs pause, but especially the logic that says his team has mailed it in. Three weeks ago Houston was on everyone's list to make the CFB playoffs or be team 5 or 6. If you as a coach cannot rally 100 players (and 85 are on scholarship) to play for the national championship with arguably the easiest path of any team, then I cannot see giving that person the reins at a major program. Sure players at Bama, tOSU, maybe even Clemson, and a couple of others realize that they will have another shot at the playoffs and winning a national championship. Does anyone honestly think UofH will ever break the top 5 again in the next 10-20 years? If you cannot get your players to play for a once in a lifetime opportunity, how in the ____ are you going to get a bunch of prima donna 4/5*'s to play for each other!!! Therefore, I think he may already have a deal locked up some place, but I bet the authors are looking for an out clause because they have to be getting nervous.
Joe Exotic
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Fran 2.0

Not even close. And his HC history is the first sign of that. Fran was a HC for 17 years before getting to a power 5 school in bama.

Sure thing. Im sorry Herman sucks now.
Goodfield Nohit
Got beat by UConn last year. Unexplicably.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
The last two games will be interesting for Herman when they host Louisville then go to Memphis. No way they keep it close with Louisville and Memphis is decent. Lose those two (especially Memphis) and some schools may not have him at the top of their list but a spot or two below.
Bunk Moreland
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Fran 2.0

Sure thing. Im sorry Herman sucks now.

So you make a completely illogical comparison, then have nothing else to offer. Thanks for clarifying.

Im not saying Herman doesn't have an argument against him. I'm asking you to make a legitimate one. Herman = Fran is the logic of a blowhard.
Joe Exotic
AG
Everyone thought Fran was great but he really sucked balls.

Everyone thought Herman was great but he really sucked balls.

Seems comparable enough for me.
Bunk Moreland
Given your posts here and your other thread, I have to ask... How much is Jim Wilson paying you to goaltend right now?

Because there's no need. Sumlin is doing fine this year, and trying to compare Herman to Fran is Idiotic at best.

Pretty odd campaign for you to be conjuring up on a Sunday night.
Jack Cheese
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Fran 2.0

His team has looked like crap several times this year. Lamar before delay, Cincy, Tulsa, in addition to the 2 they've lost.
Bring n WOOD
AG
The video I saw of him kissing each player as they came off the team bus made me queasy..

I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I mean, that's weird man.
Joe Exotic
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Given your posts here and your other thread, I have to ask... How much is Jim Wilson paying you to goaltend right now?

Because there's no need. Sumlin is doing fine this year, and trying to compare Herman to Fran is Idiotic at best.

People that make the rules don't have to make a case. Remember that.
Bunk Moreland
Jack Cheese said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Fran 2.0

His team has looked like crap several times this year. Lamar before delay, Cincy, Tulsa, in addition to the 2 they've lost.

He went 12-1 in his first year as a HC and won a NY6 game against a major power 5 opponent.

Fran was a lifer HC before ever becoming a power 5 HC and never saw the same success.

It's not a good comparison. Again, there are arguments against Herman out there. Go find em. Don't be lazy and call him Fran 2.0
TMartin
Perception becomes reality......Hermann will get a good job.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Herman is a good coach. We don't want him at tu or LSU. I know, "you're a UH homer...". blah blah blah.

Most people knocking him on here didn't even know who he was until about November 2015.
Bunk Moreland
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Bunk Moreland said:

People that make the rules don't have to make a case. Remember that.

Oh trust me. After seeing what both national parties have brought to the table as presidential candidates I agree completely.

But it doesn't omit the idea of them being just as dumb as everyone else.

Herman = Fran 2.0 is lazy. Try harder. Or ask Kim if you don't have the capacity.

(and I like you Bayside. Just having some fun)
Joe Exotic
AG
Bifferton Bobber Squat said:

Herman is a good coach. We don't want him at tu or LSU. I know, "you're a UH homer...". blah blah blah.

Most people knocking him on here didn't even know who he was until about November 2015.

Id love to have a guy that loses to SMU and a service academy at tu.
Jack Cheese
AG
I didn't call him Fran 2.0. I just pointed out that the guy with less than 2 years HC experience has not impressed AT EFFIN ALL in year 2.

Maybe you just like coaches who kiss doods.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.