Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Serious questions for the Sumlin haters

17,768 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by maxnow21
ham98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
depends on how his contract extensions are structured
Confucius

Mr. Black
You know, In terms of "wish list" coaches, Gary Kubiak really would be THE ideal choice. Aside from being an Aggie QB, his years of NFL experience as a QB coach, coordinator, play-caller and head coach would make for a pretty smooth transition in terms of the actual game planning stuff. Surround him with a good staff and an ace recruiting coordinator and we'd be in business. Additionally, I reckon that his run-heavy offense, zone blocking schemes and play-action passing concepts would work really well in the SEC. Hell, with an athletic, dual-threat QB at the helm, a solid OL, and some skill guys like Kirk, Reynolds, Ford and Williams that would be an awesome college offense.

Oh well, back to reality.
ABATTBQ11
AG
vonmazor said:

Let's finish the year well before saying sumlin is the answer.

Prescient
Lateralus Ag
AG
Mr. Black said:

You know, In terms of "wish list" coaches, Gary Kubiak really would be THE ideal choice. Aside from being an Aggie QB, his years of NFL experience as a QB coach, coordinator, play-caller and head coach would make for a pretty smooth transition in terms of the actual game planning stuff. Surround him with a good staff and an ace recruiting coordinator and we'd be in business. Additionally, I reckon that his run-heavy offense, zone blocking schemes and play-action passing concepts would work really well in the SEC. Hell, with an athletic, dual-threat QB at the helm, a solid OL, and some skill guys like Kirk, Reynolds, Ford and Williams that would be an awesome college offense.

Not sure if serious. You just described Mike Sherman.
Mr. Black
Lateralus Ag said:

Mr. Black said:

Not sure if serious. You just described Mike Sherman.

Nope, not serious (Kubiak is an NFL man, that's clear). However, since you referenced Sherman, I have to say that I consider Kubiak to be both a better head coach and a better play-caller. If, by some strange turn of events, Kubiak did actually take over in College Station, I think he'd fare much better than Sherman ever did here. Just my opinion.
jmm6345
Kubiak
Dennis Allen - DC
Dan Campbell - Staff
Dat Nguyen - Staff

Chris Petersen - 2nd choice

farmerJohnny
With all due respect, but if you think Kubiak is a great coach you must be drinking something. The main reason Denver won the SB was due to Wade Phillips and the loaded defense. Kubiak could not make an offense work even thou they were loaded at receiver and quarterback.
Look at his track record with the Texans! He had all the time and draft picks to put up a team, yet he failed year after year.
Mr. Black
farmerJohnny said:

With all due respect, but if you think Kubiak is a great coach you must be drinking something. The main reason Denver won the SB was due to Wade Phillips and the loaded defense. Kubiak could not make an offense work even thou they were loaded at receiver and quarterback.
Look at his track record with the Texans! He had all the time and draft picks to put up a team, yet he failed year after year.

Nobody who has served as the Texans head coach has enjoyed any meaningful success with that franchise. There's lots of reasons for that, and I'm sure that you're aware of at least some of the issues that have dogged that moribund expansion team since they began playing football during the 2002 season. Bad drafts, bad QBs, bad free agent deals, etc., I don't think Kubiak can be held accountable for that mess of a franchise.

Outside of his years with the Texans, Kubiak has an awesome track record of success as both a Super Bowl winning coordinator/play-caller (Super Bowls XXXII & XXXIII) and also as a Super Bowl winning head coach (Super Bowl 50). In his 11 seasons as offensive coordinator/QB coach for the Broncos, their offense accounted for 66,501 yards and 465 TDs (most in the NFL during that span). That's in addition to the back-to-back Super Bowl victories.

Last season's triumph by Denver was due in large part to their outstanding defense (Gig 'em, Von!), but don't underestimate Kubiak's stewardship of their opportunistic offense. Manning was literally a shell of his former self and was physically unable to make many of his customary throws. Statistically, Manning had just about his worst season as a pro last year (career low 67.9 passer rating). Kubiak worked around that major impediment and crafted an attack that helped Denver win another Super Bowl in his first season as their head coach. That's damned good, no matter how you slice it.

So, yeah, he's pretty good at this whole coaching thing, bro.
85Photon
AG
Consistently beats Nick Saban? You want Mrs Saban!
C Loves L
Lateralus Ag said:

If you include B1G, ACC, Pac 12, SEC and ND there are 14 coaches that have a better career winning percentage than Sumlin.

So, pick one of them. Throw out ND. So there are 13.

Pick one.

Given all the circumstances, no thank you. I'll stick with Sumlin.
C Loves L
Confucius said:

Assuming he didn't live up to the texags standard. Y'all would ask be clamoring how "he only won because he had the greatest QB of all time and Von Miller"
Bieber
I'd take Dabo Swinney in a heartbeat. Why does no one ever talk about him? A&M has a lot more resources than Clemson.
C Loves L
Bieber said:

I'd take Dabo Swinney in a heartbeat. Why does no one ever talk about him? A&M has a lot more resources than Clemson.

He only wins because he has a Heisman type quarterback[/texags
Lateralus Ag
AG
Wait, you title a thread as a shot at "Sumlin Haters" and then act like a child when people bring up Sumlin?

Credibility lost.
awinlonghorn
mack brown didnt win the mnc or big 12 tiill year 7. just sayin.. the big 12 was a better conference than the sec back than.

we would give an arm and a leg for sumlin.
maxnow21
awinlonghorn said:

mack brown didnt win the mnc or big 12 tiill year 7. just sayin.. the big 12 was a better conference than the sec back than.

we would give an arm and a leg for sumlin.

Obvious troll is obvious
maxnow21
Name 10 coaches that were gifted Johnny Football from the previous scout team.
Name 10 coaches that have a higher salary.
Name 10 coaches that have better facilities to recruit with.
Name 10 coaches that are situated in a better talent pool than being right in the middle of DFW, Houston, and East Texas.
Name 10 coaches with a larger student body.
Name 10 coaches with larger and wealthier alumni base.
I get so tired of people comparing our current ****ty results to the previous 50 years of even ****tier results. Texas A&M isn't ****ing TCU or Baylor. We're no longer all male, all military. We're all grown up now have a seat at the big boy table. It's high time we start acting like it.
Demand excellence and expect success, Aggies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.