Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin, through 7 games

12,516 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bobaloo
Brick Tamland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2012: 5-2 (2-2)
2013: 5-2 (2-2)
2014: 5-2 (2-2)
2015: 5-2 (2-2)
2016: 6-1 (4-1)
Old Wooden Ship
AG
Progress
Bunk Moreland
10-2
8-4
7-5
8-4
??

My guess is 9-3 or 10-2. My expectations this year were 10-2.

Edit. Had 2015 record one off.
No Spin Ag
Chavis has more to do with our wins than Sumlin.

If we still had the previous guy running that defense we'd be screwed because we wouldn't be able to hold a team in scoring to keep games like Tennessee and Arkansas close.

And no Sumlin shouldn't be given too much credit for getting Chavis. Any idiot would know to offer that man the moon, your wife, your adult aged daughter, and anything else he'd want to bring him on board.
moz
Perhaps show the conference game breakdown?
W
AG
the only question left...will 2016 be a better season than 2012...both overall record and conference record.

2016 will blow past 2013, 2014, and 2015 in the next 2 weeks
8T2
No Spin Ag said:

If we still had the previous guy running that defense we'd be screwed because we wouldn't be able to hold a team in scoring to keep games like Tennessee and Arkansas close.

And no Sumlin shouldn't be given too much credit for getting Chavis. Any idiot would know to offer that man the moon, your wife, your adult aged daughter, and anything else he'd want to bring him on board.
The buck stops here...oh, unless it's Sumlin...and he's winning...then the buck stops with someone else.

But, if we are losing, then yeah, the buck stops with Sumlin.

Got it.
C2 Ag 93
11-1... and yes, Sumlin deserves the credit. He's the CEO of the program. Someone really thinks he's just a figurehead and there's some sort of college football illuminati running the ship? Anyone that doesn't give him credit for hiring Chavis I'm sure won't give him grief for hiring Mazzone? Who cares if one is more obvious a hire than the other; Sumlin is still the decision-maker. Sorry "no spin", but the spin was strong there.
AgEngineer72
AG
Perhaps NoSpinAg should change his username to NothingButSpin. All spin, no clue. Clearly doesn't understand what it takes to recruit and sell top talent then close the deal. Also seems to lack any understanding of managing a large, complex organization while satisfying diverse politically charged stakeholders.

Yeah, the conference record after 7 games is different- Also better.
Olaf
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Sumlin should absolutely be given credit for recognizing a need and stealing arguably the best d-coordinator in college football away from a division rival
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Who hired Chief, then?
MassAggie97
AG
I love the job Sumlin has done at A&M. Period.
Brick Tamland
Added conference record through 7 games as well. I love Sumlin, by the way. I really hope he gets the LSU monkey off of his back this season, like he has the beating ranked teams at home monkey.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Olaf said:

No Spin Ag said:

Sumlin should absolutely be given credit for recognizing a need and stealing arguably the best d-coordinator in college football away from a division rival

Sumlin deserves 100% of the credit:

Hiring Kliff Kingsbury and turning him loose
Hiring Snyder and keeping him 2 years too long
Hiring Spav and keeping him 3 years too long
Hiring Christiansen and keeping him 1 year too long
Not keeping JTurner then rehiring JTurner 4 years later
Hiring DTurner and turning him loose
Hiring Chavis and turning him loose
Hiring Mazzone and watching him call bubble screen after bubble screen against Alabama.
Crumbling with multiple losses late in the SEC schedule year after year after year.
Playing Manziel
Running off Kyle Allen after throwing the kid under the bus
Promising Kevin Murray that Kyler Murray would play as a freshman
Allowing Kyler Murray to play when he wasn't ready
Being as arrogant SOB
Making $5MM per year off of Manziel's miracles
Chetos
AG
He said day one when he arrived on campus that he had to build size and depth to survive the sec gauntlet ... this is the first year we've made noticeable progress on that front... and we learned yesterday, we still arent all the way there. Not until you are so deep you have 4-5 stars on the bench like bama will sumlin have completed his initial and primary goal he set upon arrival...
Bunk Moreland
Chetos said:

He said day one when he arrived on campus that he had to build size and depth to survive the sec gauntlet ... this is the first year we've made noticeable progress on that front... and we learned yesterday, we still arent all the way there. Not until you are so deep you have 4-5 stars on the bench like bama will sumlin have completed his initial and primary goal he set upon arrival...

And in order to do that you have to stack top class on top class on top class Recruting. You can't let up.

Sumlin's questionable hires and undisciplined leadership for a few years meant some less than stellar recruiting classes. Not bad, but not sec contending quality.

We're losing a lot of talent from those earlier better classes heading into next year. We're going to see the effects of it beginning in 2017 I'm afraid. He needs to finish this year with a top 10 class and a handful of real difference makers.
Brick Tamland
We already have more SEC wins than all of 2014 and 2015, and have equaled our SEC win total from 2013.
brotheraggie
Coach Sumlin has done a very good job this season. There will always be people that will want perfection but it does not happen that way,

Hopefully, the Aggies can run the table and have the opportunity for post season play.,
AgEngineer72
AG
No matter how good the season, no matter how much the progress there are a handful that never miss an opportunity to beat up Sumlin or the team. There's a difference between being "brutally honest" and being just brutal- constantly negative no matter what. I can't figure out what purpose that serves since it's obvious those posters have no interest in the team other than be a constant complainer.
Ragoo
AG
We basically have 3 gimmie games left. This year's 6-1 is different in that our schedule was front loaded. This season is the best coaching job Sumlin has done here.
Bunk Moreland
Edit, read your post too fast.

9-3 is the floor. Msu is awful. And 9-3 would be pretty disappointing imo because it'd mean yet another loss to lsu, and 2 more home losses in big games.

Need to go 10-2 or 11-1
Ragoo
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Ragoo said:

We basically have 2 gimmie games left.

Fify.

9-3 is the floor. Msu is awful. And 9-3 would be pretty disappointing imo because it'd mean yet another loss to lsu, and 2 more home losses in big games.

Need to go 10-2 or 11-1
new Mexico st, miss st and utsa. I count 3.
jsamjenkins
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Chetos said:

And in order to do that you have to stack top class on top class on top class Recruting. You can't let up.

Sumlin's questionable hires and undisciplined leadership for a few years meant some less than stellar recruiting classes. Not bad, but not sec contending quality.

We're losing a lot of talent from those earlier better classes heading into next year. We're going to see the effects of it beginning in 2017 I'm afraid. He needs to finish this year with a top 10 class and a handful of real difference makers.
I'll agree with the first line, but not so fast with the other two comments. Sumlin has not reached Saban's level of stature and never will, but despite the ups and downs, he has righted the ship. Building upon this years' success he can make us a consistent top-tier program. Who on this board would have thought at the beginning of the year we would have been 6-0 and would have been able to take 'Bama into the 2nd half with a reasonable chance to win? Take away the roughing the passer play and yesterday's game had the chance of looking a lot different.
Bunk Moreland
Read your post too fast. Thought it said we basically have 3 games left. Not gimmie games.
chipotle
3-10 vs LSU, ol mrs, and Bama

0-7 vs those guys the past 3 seasons
Muy
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Chavis is on Sumlin's coaching staff.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Who on this board would have thought at the beginning of the year we would have been 6-0 and would have been able to take 'Bama into the 2nd half with a reasonable chance to win?

I did. My expectations were 10-2.
Ragoo
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Read your post too fast. Thought it said we basically have 3 games left. Not gimmie games.
and ole miss could be mentally out by time the arrive in CS. Very likely they are 4-5 coming to Kyle field.
sellthefarm
AG
4-1 instead of 2-2 is the important part of that. Still in great shape to get to a New Years six bowl
Ragoo
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Who on this board would have thought at the beginning of the year we would have been 6-0 and would have been able to take 'Bama into the 2nd half with a reasonable chance to win?

I did. My expectations were 10-2.
same, had us losing to bama and lsu. Although I think lsu is beatable. They've looked real good the last few weeks. They have a tough road to get the thanksgiving though.
brownbrick
AG
Anyone who has expectations that we should beat this Bama team every year is nuts. At least while they have Saban and continue to have a massive talent advantage. Is the goal to get ourselves into the same position? Yes.

Posters like BanderaScout are the worst type of fans. If you can't watch this team this year and enjoy it, you are doing sports wrong. We stoned Bama in the redzone multiple times. You won't see that problem for them again this season.

Enjoy the rest of the ride, I don't think we lose another one.
aggieclay
Sumlin has done a good job imo. We just need to learn to recruit with the big boys! If it takes $ then so be it. Sips don't mind.
NattyOrBust
AG
People say we still aren't "there" yet. Really?? If you mean we aren't on Alabama's level yet, then you're right. Then again, NOBODY ELSE IS ON ALABAMA'S LEVEL EITHER!! We are a top 10 team and can hang with or beat anyone else in the SEC! Appreciate what the man has done, people! We ARE there. This IS there. We have a legit shot at 11-1 and a New Year's Day bowl game, and an outside shot at the playoff if the dominos fall right. Come on!!
TMartin
Kevin Sumlin said he wanted to be the "administrator" of a major college football program when he came to A&M.. Five years into his on the job training program at A&M he now has two coordinators worthy of SEC West programs. Now if Sumlin can just hire an SEC West caliber recruiter he should be fine. The up and down hit and miss recruiting classes and not being able to capture the top talent in Texas is a big problem. Currently this year's recruiting class looks like a long term development program and next year the starters will most likely take a step back from 2016. There doesn't appear to be a real succession program for players at A&M. i.e. Sumlin has known for three years Garrett and Hall were leaving after 2016.
OKC~Ag
We are not "there" yet... If I have to explain why, there is no hope for you.

but I will try any way,,,
There is no reason why we can't achieve success of Clemson, FSU Oregon and alike university.

We;re better in every metric vs above except recent success on the field. Lack of success on the field is due to failure of coaching.

11-1 or 10-2 and good bowl win is a good year but,,,some ags will not satisfied.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.