Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Officiating was just atrocious today, and has been all year.

17,530 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr. White
double fault
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now don't get me wrong. I am not going to blame the refs for this loss. If you think I am, then see me other thread. Bama is just too good.

But good God, the officiating was just incredibly lackluster again today, and it was last week for Bama vs Tennessee, and it has been all year whether it's been for us or for some other two teams playing in the SEC.

1) Speedy Noil should have gotten a Crown To The Helmet call when he was knocked back. They came back with he's not a defenseless player, but that is the wrong rule. Crown to the Helmet was the rule, and they didn't call it despite it being incredibly blatant.

2) Priest Willis Pass Interference Call - what a joke. Was playing the ball, arrived with the ball, he made a good defensive play. I concede that this is close and Priest may have been just a half step too early, but I still think he played the ball and played it correctly. It looks like he is grabbing him around the shoulder, but replay shows that his hand is actually free above his shoulder. I think this got called because his hand glances off of the helmet as he jumps up with the receiver.

3) We got a block in the back call, and then Bama had one that was far more blatant and somehow it's not called.

4) Armani Watts was taken down on an illegal cut block that was outside of the tackle box. (Edit: this is over-ruled after some research. an offensive player is allowed to cut block outside of the zone only if the block is to the front of the defensive player. That is what I have read anyway. However I have also read that an outside player cannot make a cut block on an inside player once the ball is outside of the zone. Ridley is clearly the outside WR to Watts safety position, so to be honest, on this call, I'm not sure, and I will assume the correct call was made.)

5) Keith Ford was taken down by horse collar when he was already out of bounds.

6) And don't even get me started with this:

Donovan Wilson's helmet-to-helmet was the correct call. Washington's Personal foul was the correct call. When we had a "block in the back" called against us, it was the correct call.

Just stupid how somehow the correct calls are made against us and yet Bama had very few critical calls called against them. I guess they are afraid of a Butt Chewing by Nick Saban, I don't know. They had blatant PI calls, at least 2 of them last week as well.

That is my soapbox. Credit to Bama. They are the best far and away and will win the NC.

But the refs have just been ridiculous. get it right.
golfgalag
AG
They hold us every damn play and not one holding call. I am sick of it!!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Gotta beat more than Bama to beat Bama. They're on Texas' level of favorable officiating.
BBDP
AG
I wanted them to review their 1st TD. Looked like he may have fumbled going in out of bounds.
RAB83
AG
It's worse than playing the sips. More blatant. More obvious.
bert harbinson
AG
It appears Bama only commits 5 yard penalties.
TrevorAgg2012
AG
Armani Watts went down on an illegal cut block on Hurts long TD.

"4. Once the ball has left the tackle box a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line."
From NCAA rule book on blocks below waist
Dawnguard
AG
bert harbinson said:

On the bright side, it opened up 3 different free long shots that gave us 30 yards.

Maybe Sumlin should start chewing on the refs a bit?
MaroonStain
AG
Bama is a protected team.
TrevorAgg2012
AG
The rules that are in place to protect players are the ones that should absolutely get called, like the face-mask shown on Garret, the cut block...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Don't forget the no-call horse collar out of bounds on Ford in the first half. Lucky he was ok.
TMF
AG
I am afraid this is true.
bert harbinson
AG
silverleaf said:

bert harbinson said:

On the bright side, it opened up 3 different free long shots that gave us 30 yards.

Maybe Sumlin should start chewing on the refs a bit?

Just wondering, can he ask for a review on the Speedy helmet-to-helmet?
double fault
Yep, cut block outside the tackle box, and the horse collar. Editing to include those.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Officiating was very biased and very unfortunate.
Indignitas
AG
This is a priori knowledge. The SEC has a pretty solid record of protecting its MNC contenders' records when it comes to officiation.

The Big XII had a pretty solid record of protecting tu's record when it comes to officiation.

In the long run, the SEC's system is more equitable, but it is particularly damaging to teams that are on a steep ascent, as we have been since September.

While we definitely beat ourselves today, the officiation could've easily been the difference in this game. At 26-14, the (uncalled) block in the back on Bama's punt return was worth a good 30-40 yards, and arguably worth 7 points, and potentially a pivotal difference in morale for our side. But still...this loss is on us.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Quote:

Armani Watts went down on an illegal cut block on Hurts long TD.

"4. Once the ball has left the tackle box a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line."
From NCAA rule book on blocks below waist
Good catch. This should have been called. No excuse.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Did Wilson actually get called for 'defenseless player' hit because it sure as hell looked like shoulder to shoulder to me? However, how they didn't call the crown of the helmet directly to Soeedy's face mask is beyond me.
Agsgirl
MaroonStain said:

Bama is a protected team.
They are CBS' cash cow, er elephant....
Deadwood
AG
Today was sip level f'ing.

i know Sumlin sent a video in with Garret getting absolutely raped. We should not let this drop. Texas bring tons of revenue to the SEC - milliions of eyeballs and millions of dollars. Dont f us for a state with a fifth of the people.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
On Reynolds touchdown catch, his jersey was stretched about 10 inches by bama CB while attempting to catch the ball...luckily he did because the flag was not thrown.

But in all seriousness, we lost this game in many other areas and lost key momentum on the Washington penalty.
bert harbinson
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
There was a flag on to Renyolds TD. They just didn't discuss it since he caught it.
Frisco - Ag
AG
It's egregious
Frisco - Ag
AG
Deadwood said:

i know Sumlin sent a video in with Garret getting absolutely raped. We should not let this drop. Texas bring tons of revenue to the SEC - milliions of eyeballs and millions of dollars. Dont f us for a state with a fifth of the people.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Deadwood said:

It would be great if some how this crap could be made public, embarrass the SEC leadership and officials into doing the right thing!
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

There was a flag on to Renyolds TD. They just didn't discuss it since he caught it.

I didn't see a flag
BowhunterAg83
AG
Bama is the money machine. SEC cashes in when they are in the playoffs every year.

Even with all the calls, we would not win. We had too many unforced errors and they are much better than us.

But we did try.

We just need to find a way to get well, get better, and run the schedule !
gigemags-99
AG
ScoutBanderaAg956 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I didn't see a flag

There was a flag thrown. It was in front of the play.

Regardless, there were still some horrible calls / non-calls
supper
Another star for OP.

Terrible officiating that could have changed the game.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
The officiating would not have changed the outcome of this game. It is what it is.
Deadwood
AG
We delivered 15 million eyeballs to the SEC. Time to own up and payback.
FJB
AG
Need to file a protest
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Indignitas said:

This is a priori knowledge. The SEC has a pretty solid record of protecting its MNC contenders' records when it comes to officiation.

The Big XII had a pretty solid record of protecting tu's record when it comes to officiation.

In the long run, the SEC's system is more equitable, but it is particularly damaging to teams that are on a steep ascent, as we have been since September.

While we definitely beat ourselves today, the officiation could've easily been the difference in this game. At 26-14, the (uncalled) block in the back on Bama's punt return was worth a good 30-40 yards, and arguably worth 7 points, and potentially a pivotal difference in morale for our side. But still...this loss is on us.

I can understand them doing that even though it's wrong, but we were contenders just as much as them going into the game.
Goose83
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

The officiating would not have changed the outcome of this game. It is what it is.
Oaky - Either we lost to Bama because they are the Number 1 team in the universe, or because the refs threw the game.

Doesn't matter to me, but choose one or the other.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.