Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Objective Reaction to the Game

5,481 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoTxAg
cmsaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1. Mazzone out coached. Too much side to side ****.
2. Bama took Trayveon Williams out of the game. Too small.
3. Turning point of the game was Washinton penalty. Took away all of the momentum.
4. Too many dropped passes. Ford dropped 3. Ricky Seals can't catch! He cannot catch! Bama double covered Reynolds and conceeded short passes to Kirk or RB. TOO MANY DROPS.
5. Myles Garrett is hurt. Period.
6. Daylon Mack played the best game out of anyone on the team.
7. Erik McCoy needs to practice snapping the ball.
8. Thank you Chief. Held Bama to 26 points on defense.
9. Trevor Knight for a 10th year senior looked scared. Hold onto the ball with 2 hands.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Agreed.
Left out not wrapping up consistently.
claycope
AG
Almost agree. RSJ had the tip toe catch that was huge on the scoring drive, and he's a good blocker.
aggiebq03+
Turning point was actually when we fumbled without contact and then let them walk it in for a defensive TD.

Other than that well summed up.
Rebel Yell
AG
We made bonehead mistakes and had some play calls that my daughter knew were stupid.

You can't do that against Alabama. We needed to be perfect to win. We weren't.

It was a good game with solid effort. But Bama was the better team.
Charlie 31
AG
WE LOST!!! DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Good summary.
Al Bula
AG
Pretty good assessment but don't think Washington penalty decided the game. See 19 point differential.

Bama is a great team. Swinging momentum based on defensive penalty didn't matter.

Queue the goal tending "but you don't understand how momentum can change a game" comments.
Wreckncrew96
AG
Too much youth on O line vs that D line was a recipe for a long day no matter what you call...can't run inside or outside, no time to go down field, so you throw to the perimeter and their speed kills the play...
AGDAD14
Keeping it simple... this was Sumlin's biggest game of his coaching career (doesn't matter whether he admits it or not)... Two weeks to game plan.... and the game plan was awful!
FrontPorchAg
cmsaggie12 said:

1. Mazzone out coached. Too much side to side ****. We have three freshman in the middle of the line that are getting dominated
2. Bama took Trayveon Williams out of the game. Too small. I think Sumlin wanted more beef
3. Turning point of the game was Washinton penalty. Took away all of the momentum. 100% Agree
4. Too many dropped passes. Ford dropped 3. Ricky Seals can't catch! He cannot catch! Bama double covered Reynolds and conceeded short passes to Kirk or RB. TOO MANY DROPS. Dead On
5. Myles Garrett is hurt. Period. Yes
6. Daylon Mack played the best game out of anyone on the team. I would say Hall then Mack
8. Thank you Chief. Held Bama to 26 points on defense. All in all Good D. Any time you hold bama to Bama to 26 points you have to feel good about it
9. Trevor Knight for a 10th year senior looked scared. Hold onto the ball with 2 hands. Again we are dominated in the middle of the Oline.
I would add if you took away the Washington penalty and our recievers made the catches they should have I think we could very well have won this game.
Famous Shoes
AG
Enough said!
FrontPorchAg
AGDAD14 said:

Keeping it simple... this was Sumlin's biggest game of his coaching career (doesn't matter whether he admits it or not)... Two weeks to game plan.... and the game plan was awful!
Wrong on every point.
Bison
AG
Even without the turnovers, Bama wins 21-14. Their defense was simply too good, although I am wondering why we kept trying the outside screens when clearly their guys were too strong and clever. Also, no tight end dumps at all? Mazzone may be slightly to blame for calling a less-than-perfect game, but the point is that to beat Bama requires perfection.

Oh, and the no-call on the Speedy hit was bullshyte.
Rebel Yell
AG
AGDAD14 said:

Agreed. The game plan was not there. We were outmatched physically that was obvious, but for $5 million a year we should be able to scheme around that. Side to side play calling was atrocious against a team with speed like Bama. Calling RB dive on 3rd and 19 was ridiculous.
Azariah
AG
Mazzone stopped going east/west when it wasn't working. He gets credit for abandoning something that wasn't working.

Trayveon Williams is an amazing 18 year old whose body isn't ready to play Bama. Keith Ford picked up the slack admirably, though. Again, credit to Mazzone for making the change.

100% correct on the penalty turning the game.

Drops have plagued this team since we built this amazing receiving corps. We are better now, but still need work. If Will Fuller can get drafted though, RSJ has a spot inthe NFL.

Myles Garrett is fine, he's just out of game shape. This wasn't an injury, he was exhausted from the beginning.

I'm excited to see Mr. Mack step up. He played well for most of the day.

Erik McCoy just needs reps. About 10,000 correct snaps and he should get it down. Fortunately we have a veteran back there who can handle it.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Knight was running for his life.

Myles was held 50%+ of the time he was in the game!

We still don't have any LB's that can fill a gap or tackle.

OLine and DLine were DOMINATED, SPANKED, and sent home hungry!

ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Mazzone tried stupid throws to the flats on the last two drives... That isn't learning anything!
aggiehawg
AG
cmsaggie12 said:

3. Turning point of the game was Washinton penalty. Took away all of the momentum.
4. Too many dropped passes. Ford dropped 3. Ricky Seals can't catch! He cannot catch! Bama double covered Reynolds and conceeded short passes to Kirk or RB. TOO MANY DROPS.
9. Trevor Knight for a 10th year senior looked scared. Hold onto the ball with 2 hands.
Targeting calls were spotty. Two missed on Bama by both refs on the field and the SEC Review booth. Made up one against us when we intercepted. But, those really bad calls/no calls were not the reason we lost.

Bama is that damn good. That's why we lost.
Claud
I actually think T Williams should have played more. Should have run short passes to him instead of Ford.
AGDAD14
Ok I'm wrong. When did Sumlin have a higher ranked team playing the #1 team in the country?

BTHO NM ST!
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Just seems like there must be some other option to deal with the rush and quick defenders besides throwing it to the sidelines. Is a quick slant out of the question somehow?
AGDAD14
I agree. A coaching staff can have a good game plan and still not win. Also, I consider execution part of the game plan. It's not much of a game plan if the players can't execute it.

I like and support Sumlin and his staff, so I didn't make my comments lightly.

BTHO NM St!!!
LB12Diamond
AG
Washington play was big bc prior to that Hurts was starting to play like a Fish with us taking the lead. They punt and the O stay hot, who knows what happens.
agsquirrel97
AG
cmsaggie12 said:

Spoiler alert, hello - I dvr'd the game and haven't got around to watching it....jeeez
ATM9000
AG
Too much thought in this. Both of their lines dominated ours. That was damn near the entirety of the story on both sides of the ball. Complain about Mazzone playcalling all you want... but he was scheming around a physically dominating team about the best he could. And Washington's penalty was big... but defense had 50 yards and a lot of opportunities to stop and didn't do it after that play. What happened there is exactly why they say you have to play a perfect game against Bama. Saban coached teams are just in a class of their own when it comes to amount of opportunities they give up to teams and how successfully they capitalize on opportunities. There were other equally as huge blown plays as the Washington penalty and I'd argue some that were way bigger.
72jag
AG
OP right on all points. I might add that our game plan played right into Bama's strengths. And that has been Sumlin's gp since he has been here. No imagination. And when you are playing a team like Bama, you better have a game plan that plays to their weaknesses, which is their safeties and cornerbacks but since our QB can't throw long and our receivers can't catch, that is a mute point.
Czechs Out 03
AG
The only rebuttal to you is that I'm not not sure their LB's were causing the penetration and therefore not out of coverage for a slant route.
ATM9000
AG
Well what's your plan to get the ball in a spot to exploit your safeties when their line is in your backfield on 2 Mississippi basically every play?
YankAg13
AG
Rebel Yell said:

Agreed. The game plan was not there. We were outmatched physically that was obvious, but for $5 million a year we should be able to scheme around that.

But what if they have a guy being paid $6 million a year to prevent us from doing just that? Doesn't that make the advantage go back to the team with the better players?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Three plays lost us the game.

- The roughing the passer on third down in the third qtr. Had the momentum and completely lost it.
- Knight running backwards and being sacked losing ten yards in the third qtr when it was 20-14.
- Fumble and pick-up for the score.
Wooahhhh
AG
2 freshman on the OL against NFL players (upperclassmen) doesn't help. We need to stockpile both lines, RS, and play Jrs./Srs. We're not there. I think that's not something Texags posters have the time for.
moz
Alabamas defense is incredible. Offense is suspect. They are beatable.
AGC
AG
The vibe I got was that bama wanted to play mistake free football, but not in the invincible juggernaut way. In other words, I feel like they had to play perfect to win, but even then it wasn't a sure thing.

Hurts seemed to read the first receiver and run if it wasn't there, content to take a loss if necessary. Don't lose the game, just hope you can grind out the win.
BulldogAg
AG
Honestly, I agree 100% with OP. But holy crap. Bama in the first quarter looked like an NFL team. Thank God for goal line defense.

I'm proud of the boys. A few plays swung the momentum so quick it's insane. We were up 14-13. Next thing I know we are done. But we played much better than. I thought

Bottom like is we can beat ole miss and LSU. No problem. We should win out. If we don't, most of us will be disappointed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.