Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Trevor Knight progress is encouraging

6,655 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PatAg
texag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/college-football/ams-kevin-sumlin-wont-provide-injury-details-on-st/nsgNT/

"Knight ranks 15th nationally in total offense and 16th in points responsible for in a game. He is one of two quarterbacks in the nation who already has exceeded 1,000 yards passing and 300 running. Louisville's Lamar Jackson, an early favorite for the Heisman, is the other."
Womackster
TexanJeff
AG
But but but his completion percentage!!!
Allen76
AG
It sure seems like there has been weekly improvement. I have all the games on my DVR, and even looking at a few minutes of those, it appears Trevor is simply more effective each week than he was the week before.

When he throws that pass to the sideline, behind the line of scrimmage, and it hits the turf down by the receivers feet, you just want to say WTF? But those are decreasing IMO. I still remember when Tannehill would throw a couple of short passes ten feet above the turf (about two feet above the receivers reach) you knew it was probably going to be a bad day.
Ag4coal
He's exactly what I expected. Serviceable. If we beat Bama, it's because we run the ball well. That includes knight.
Mr. Black
gigumaggie
AG
Love this kid....his leadership and team oriented attitude is infectious....something we've been missing since JFF
Schrute
After Arkansas, teams will be forced to pay attention to TK's running ability (more so than in the past). This should open up more in the passing game, and make the RPOs more effective.
saw em off
I just wish it didn't take him a quarter and a half to get his throwing warmed up.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
quote:
I just wish it didn't take him a quarter and a half to get his throwing warmed up.

It wouldn't have if Kirk didn't have 2 drops in 1Q....
Macarthur
He's never going to be a high completion % guy. The key is giving him manageable throws, using his legs to keep the defense honest and NO TURNOVERS.

If he doesn't throw picks, this defese will put the team into postion to win just about every game.
Yell Practice
Keep it going Trevor !
Obejuan03
AG
"The stat that matters most is wins..." - Kevin Sumlin
SARATOGA
He's coming along.

I'd favor a lot of QB runs in the 1st couple drives to calm him down. 1st play with JFF was always a run to get hit and settle in.

I'd happily make the trade of 65 percent completion percentage for 55 percent completion percentage if he doesn't throw interceptions.

A lower completion percentage and a punt is better for us than a turnover on a risky throw. I'll happily take a "game manager" who throws for 200 per game and runs for 100 per game.

aggiebrad94
AG
Two things have worked against him so far:

1) Our receivers not using their bodies to win some of the slant passes. This was most prevalent against UCLA. We had a couple of these early against Arky. WRs have to do a better job shielding the defenders and getting their arms extended to win these matchups more often.

2) Dropsies. We've had a handful and thankfully got them out of our system early against Arky.
2008and1
AG
He's gotten lucky on a few near interceptions where the throw was behind the WR and the DB dropped it or WR made a play to break up the pass.

I do feel he is becoming a better game manager week to week which is good because BAMA and Ole Miss DBs won't drop INTs.
Drum5343
AG
But...

quote:
Their quarterback can't throw the ball
Was he wrong?
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
But...

quote:
Was he wrong?
This was his next pass, so.....

clippituser.tv/c/aklnm

Agsuffering@bulaw
I thought he threw it a lot better vs Arkie, even in the first half before the run game got going.
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
quote:
But...

quote:
Was he wrong?
This was his next pass, so.....

clippituser.tv/c/aklnm

Texas A&M at 15:00
1st and 10 at TAMU14
TEXAS A&M drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at TAMU14
Trevor Knight rush for 2 yards to the TAMU16 (Deatrich Wise;Henre' Toliver).
2nd and 8 at TAMU16
Keith Ford rush for 18 yards to the TAMU34, 1ST DOWN TAMU (Dre Greenlaw).
1st and 10 at TAMU34
Trevor Knight pass complete to Josh Reynolds for 16 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN TAMU (Josh Liddell).
1st and 10 at TAMU50
T. Williams rush for 12 yards to the AR38, 1ST DOWN TAMU (Dre Greenlaw).
1st and 10 at AR38
T. Williams rush for 3 yards to the AR35 (J. Ledbetter).
2nd and 7 at AR35
Trevor Knight sacked for loss of 5 yards to the AR40 (Karl Roesler), PENALTY TAMU holding declined.
3rd and 12 at AR40
Trevor Knight pass complete to Josh Reynolds for 16 yards to the AR24, 1ST DOWN TAMU, out-of-bounds.
1st and 10 at AR24
Trevor Knight pass complete to F. Iheanacho for 7 yards to the AR17 (Josh Liddell).
2nd and 3 at AR17
T. Williams rush for 15 yards to the AR2, 1ST DOWN TAMU (Santos Ramirez).
1st and GOAL at AR02
Trevor Knight rush for loss of 4 yards to the AR6, fumble by Trevor Knight recovered by AR Dre Greenlaw at AR5.

well, except for those other three passes... all completions though.
SJEAg
AG
I am totally on board with Trevor - wish we had another year of him.

Yeah, he doesn't have pinpoint accuracy or an NFL arm. But he runs well, throws a pretty good fade, and is a strong leader that helps unite the team. I'll take that every season over the alternative until Johnny v2 comes along.

AgGrad99
AG
good point....

So he went 4/4, 131 yards and a TD directly after Bert mouthed off.

txagssweetie2014
He is a good college QB. If he can work on his accuracy and making decisions quicker then he will become a great college QB. I think all of us are very encouraged by what we've seen so far. He has 2 more games to improve before he faces a monster defense. Exciting times!
Bobaloo
Gamer who is an excellent athlete. He has moments in the passing game when he looks really good. He certainly looked better against Arky than UCLA. Seems to also be very coachable.
One Louder
AG
His greatest skill by far is catching those ungodly high snaps.
ScottishFire
AG
The guy completes over half his passes and doesn't turn the ball over. As long as those stats continue, our running back tandem stays healthy, and our defense holds teams to 21 pts or less, we will win ball games.
padreislandagfan
He's pretty good about throwing it away instead of forcing a tight window or taking a loss of yardage.
Every time he makes a smart decision to throw it away, his completion percentage goes down.
Stats be damned JUST WIN.
citizenkane06
Ags4DaWin
1) still fails to read the defense and identify coverages and blitzes presnap.
2) has no feel for the pocket and still routinely abandons the pocket early, and prematurely throws the ball away before a play has had time to develop
3) fails to work through his progressions. Either stares down receivers before making his throw or stares down his primary receiver, realizes they are not open and abandons the pocket and throws the ball away.
4) cannot seem to make most throws and hit our receivers in stride or make an accurate enough throw on short routes to protect them (his throws over the middle on crossing and slant routes are high or behind receivers making them difficult to catch and exposing receivers to potentially vicious hits). If I am a WR and my QB throws an unnecessarily high ball over the middle that I have to leap for, and I feel a linebacker lurking there to light me up, I am dropping the pass or letting it go. Not worth a broken neck.
5) when mechanics are sound, delivers the ball accurately. This is not the routine though. When footwork is poor (which is half the time) bounces bubble screens off the turf.

All of that being said, the kid is winning and that is all that matters. For all of you saying you wish we had him another year, I hope to God we have a better QB candidate in the wings than this. T. knight is what he is: T. Bow 2.0 He is a baller and so far has gotten lucky, Gotten away with some horrendous throws, and found a way to win. Take it for what it is. He is performing just how he performed at OU. That is not going to change over the course of this season.
QCAg93
AG
I agree with those above who say we have gotten what we have gotten from T. Knight. This is his last year, and I hope they keep winning which to me he may strive a little more to do better. I am not expecting the attitude of a freshman seeking to mold into the perfect quarterback. Football to me is always about how the X's and O's match up, the coaches, and player motivation.
Lungblood
quote:
I am totally on board with Trevor - wish we had another year of him.

Yeah, he doesn't have pinpoint accuracy or an NFL arm. But he runs well, throws a pretty good fade, and is a strong leader that helps unite the team. I'll take that every season over the alternative until Johnny v2 comes along.

Nick Assmadood says hello.
RedlegAg21
He's 4-0. Quit ragging on him. Sure, everyone can improve but he's been playing just how we need him to.
67walkon
If RSJ will get his ass in gear, Trevor's numbers could skyrocket.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
He was the Davey O'Brien QB of the week for the Arkansas game.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

He's exactly what I expected. Serviceable.

not just serviceable

he's a leader and he makes dynamic, game changing plays on long passes and with his legs.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.