Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chavis' Defensive Philosophy

12,567 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FarmersFight95
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I, along with every other Aggie, absolutely love Chavis and I couldn't believe we took him from LSU. I knew at that moment Sumlin was ready to make A&M a true SEC team and I feel adding Chavis was a turning point for Sumlin in his coaching career.

As some of you know I do a weekly breakdown of the offense on these boards. I chose the offense back in 2014 because it was our first year post-Johnny and Mike, and I wanted to see how our offense would operate with a new QB and a new offensive system.

Fast-forward to when Chavis was hired and before I had a son, I had dreams of doing both the offense and defensive weekly breakdowns. To get a feel for Chavis, I started Googling him and I read any and every article I could about his defensive philosophy at LSU and what made his defenses so great.

Then I stumbled upon a coaching clinic website. It had a PowerPoint presentation detailing Chavis' 2002 Tennessee defensive playbook.

At the beginning of the PowerPoint, before the different alignments and blitzes, were a few slides on Chavis' coaching philosophies. It's no wonder why our defense (and LSU's old defenses) play so hard.

On tackling:

On turnovers:

On pursuing the ball:

And finally, his defensive philosophy:

I think Chavis is an outstanding leader and I feel like he's rubbed off on Sumlin. I know people have been discussing Sumlin's demeanor ad nauseam on these boards, and I've always agreed he came off (sometimes) as smug/confrontational/etc. I still think Sumlin has a bit of that attitude but I feel like his overall approach to the team has changed. His demeanor almost feel's Saban-like, focusing on the process and focusing on doing your job. I wonder where I've heard that before?
agspirit_09
AG
Thanks for this... As a young coach, I put one of these together, but it's not as polished as this. I can use this
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Awesome
MaroonStain
Chickenhawk
Lawyers
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Chief!
Nevii
Womackster
AG
Good find
agsquirrel97
AG
Way to go OP! This is how you DO YOUR JOB when you are OP!

rocky the dog
AG
Traveler
AG
"TL/DR"

- Texags
Traveler
AG
Thanks for posting Codeno
Sbisa04
citizenkane06
greg.w.h
AG
OSKIE!!
crunchyo
Solid post
TicoLoco
FarmersFight95
AG
Not used to seeing such a solid post in the zoo. Good stuff.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Very Awesome! Great find Code
Grapist
AG
mmmmm yes. Explode through the hips.
schmendeler
AG
I'd say we are really seeing these things put in to practice by our defense this season.
fessparker
AG
Wait, what? I thought I would have my intelligence insulted. Is this the zoo? I am considering contacting the AG about truth in advertising.

This is beyond the pale and does not belong on the zoo. Who would expect an illuminating discussion of football on the football forum. I have had enough of this.

Delete thread, ban OP!
CrottyKid
AG
I agree that Sumlin seems to be evolving before our eyes. He doesn't have to babysit the offense or the defense anymore. He can work on motivation, organization, and cooperation.
JMR
S
Solid as always

Thanks for sharing Codeno

I think I've seen something different about Sumlin also, not on the saban level but his sideline intensity and where he goes with his presser responses mid week are different this year.
McJulie-O
AG
Well done,Well done!
BadMoonRisin
AG
quote:
A man's value to his team can be measured in his distance to the football when the whistle blows!"

I really like this one
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:
I think Chavis is an outstanding leader and I feel like he's rubbed off on Sumlin.
I hope so. Great leaders surround themselves with people who make them better. I hope everyone of our coaches rubs off on Sumlin in a positive way.

Great find!
W
AG
I like the condensed version...

"stop the run with numbers...rush the passer with speed"
AeroAg03
Great read. Thanks for the effort.
Coach823
AG
Mind sharing which clinic website you found it on?
InnerCityAg
Great, now combine this with the Mazone VHS tapes and everyone knows how to beat us.
GinMan
AG

texag86
LihaiAg06
AG
Just awesome
cretzloff
AG
Really, really hope this man retires as an Aggie.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.