Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chavis' Defensive Philosophy

12,566 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FarmersFight95
Obejuan03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think this can all be summarized with the pithy statement made by Chief prior to the Arkansas game, "The strength of the wolf lies in the pack, the strength of the pack is in the wolf...Nobody eats until the prey is dead."
riverrataggie
AG
Great find! Lot of that could be used for real life as well.
DCoastal
Thanks for sharing, had a similiar written philosophy when I was a young dc 20+ years ago. The magic isn't in the written philosophy, the magic is Chief's ability to truly get his players and coaches to live/apply it, he does that incredibly well (I didn't...hence no longer a coach).
ktweaverbird
This thread.
Cannonball!
AG
I've been curious about Watts's tackling technique. He always seems to spear and not wrap up. That said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and it definitely ain't broke. Maybe his talent transcends fundamentals.
Jason C.
AG
I'm a mid-thirties guy who hasn't played in 15 years, but as I read that I wanted to stand up and destroy my office and go tackle someone.
Codeno
AG
quote:
Mind sharing which clinic website you found it on?
http://www.playbookexchange.net/playbooks/Defense/02060201-Tennessee.pdf
Jarrin' Jay
AG
The "man's value to his team..." quote is nothing but pure awesomeness!!!!

Chied is not a job hopper and he is extremely happy here. He will stay as long as Sumlin is here for certain.
RAB83FM
great post
Lukeno
AG
Good Stuff
LSU Baseball Fan
Always cool to see the details of what coaches are thinking like this. Tackling fundamentals are not taught like this nearly enough. It's easy to see why there are so many concussions in football when so many players lead with their heads. I honestly think wearing helmets encourages it. When you watch rugby, the players almost never lead with their heads when making a tackle and traumatic injuries happen way less often.

To some extent, football might be safer without so many pads, since players would be way more careful about protecting their bodies and using proper fundamentals. I watch a lot of rugby, and injuries are a lot rarer than in football.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Always cool to see the details of what coaches are thinking like this. Tackling fundamentals are not taught like this nearly enough. It's easy to see why there are so many concussions in football when so many players lead with their heads. I honestly think wearing helmets encourages it. When you watch rugby, the players almost never lead with their heads when making a tackle and traumatic injuries happen way less often.

To some extent, football might be safer without so many pads, since players would be way more careful about protecting their bodies and using proper fundamentals. I watch a lot of rugby, and injuries are a lot rarer than in football.
there have been articles written about the perverse affect safety technologies can have. they make things safer, generally, but can cause people to act more recklessly than they would otherwise. another example is seatbelts and airbags. they generally make things much safer, but they can also encourage people to drive faster than they would otherwise.
Ulrich
Our coaches are way better at coaching football than they are at making presentations.

I'm OK with that.
Coach823
AG
Thank you!
levimod
AG
Makes me wonder if I should go coach something! Thank you.
aggiewhoop1
AG
Delete thread, Ban OP
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
The Chavis System: Look impressive for the first 5 games, then rank towards the bottom in every statistical category for the rest of the conference games.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
How on earth do we still not know how to tackle?
BrandoC
AG
We are obviosly not watching the same man named Kevin sunlin.
FarmersFight95
AG
Wow, this went south quickly....
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.