Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Breaking Down the Offense: Week 4

3,112 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Txag12345
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Data from Week 3

First observation. We scored often and we scored quickly. 3 of our 7 scores took less than 60 second and 6 out of 7 scoring drives were 2 minutes or less.

This marked the first time since 2015 South Carolina that we ran more than we passed. It also marked the first game where we ran under 60 plays since Arkansas 2015. Even with only 58 true plays (not counting kneel downs) we managed 600 yards of offense, which is outstanding.

I added a new stat, average yards gained, for first and second downs. That puts the "2nd Down Average Distance to Go" stat in perspective because it incorporates all the big plays on first down that lead to other first downs or touchdowns.

Here's an interesting detail about the new stat from this game. In the first half we only averaged 2.27 yards on first down and 8.1 yards on second down. But in the second half we averaged 8.6 yards on first down and a whopping 18.22 yards on second down! Obviously the 92 yard strike to Reynolds is included in that but it's still amazing to me.

Lastly our 3rd down conversion percentage was outstanding. Keep that up and we will win a lot more games.

Personnel Groups

Passing Chart

Conclusions

We didn't run very many formations vs Arkansas, and based on the results there was no reason to change anything. Every formation proved to be effective and a few big plays really make the stats pop.

Iheanacho looked OK in the action he saw after Seals-Jones went down with the ankle injury. Hopefully Nacho can fill in at a decent level while Seals-Jones gets healthy.

The passing chart was a mixed bag. There were zero completions beyond the line of scrimmage to the left side of the field. I know Noil has been discussed on these boards and while I think he's an outstanding athlete, his production seems to have never lived up to what we were expecting. I still hope and expect him to contribute but it won't surprise me when his stat line is bare.

I'm going to cut this post short because it's already late in the week and everyone is gearing up for South Carolina. I texted my buddy last Friday and I told him I had a feeling we would beat Arkansas by 2+ touchdowns. I have that same feeling for South Carolina.

I hope I'm right again.
aggiematt07
tex 93
AG
I hope you're right too.

The most pleasing stat to my eye is the greater percentage of run plays vs passing plays. IIRC, this is the first time that's happened this year. I've felt for awhile that we need to shift towards more run plays and the results look pretty good to me.
BaileyAg
AgsForTheWin
Kool
AG
Thanks for doing this, Codeno. You're awesome!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Love these
Sbisa04
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:
I added a new stat, average yards gained, for first and second downs.
Sheds some amazing light on the game. Thanks for including these.
Womackster
MarkPro
Thanks Codeno. Solid
DBill
AG
Thanks Codeno. Always a great read.
Bison
AG
Codeno gone MIA? This is the last thread I can find.

Also, interesting observation: average yardage gained on first down is 5.92, but the average distance-to-go on second down is 8.42. That seems ...odd. I'm thinking that either one of those numbers is wrong, or the AYG on first-down does not account for penalties.
RG20
Again, not utilizing the middle of the field. I thought the whole reason of the horizontal passing was to open up the middle.
TxAg76
AG
Noil needs to be used like Kirk in the slot
Txag12345
If you have a mean that is skewed by outliers then use the median and you can still call it an "average." Big time stats are great to look at and everything, but it doesn't make them useful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.