Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

RC at Lsu ....couldn't even imagine it!

9,514 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cisgenderedAggie
jmm6345
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About halfway down the article:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17663682/les-miles-turned-michigan-wolverines-job-2011-says-former-lsu-tigers-ad-skip-bertman
Claud
That won't happen.

I could actually see Chip Kelly though.
jmm6345
It refers to RC being an option as Coach before Lsu hired Miles in 2005.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Congrats on the clicks.
GetThoseKeysMilo
This is actually a pretty good article giving insight to what goes down during a big-time coaching search. It's LSU's former AD spilling the beans on the Les Miles hire and also the run Michigan took at him in 2011.

quote:
"I swear to God that's true. He turned it down," Bertman said. "LSU had just given him this new contract, and the president of Domino's Pizza flew down on a Domino's plane and offered him [the Michigan job], and he says, 'You've got to tell me tonight, Les, because if you don't say yes, I'm going to get Brady Hoke.' And sure enough, he took off and the next day you read in the paper that he hired Brady Hoke."

quote:
Bertman rattled off a long list of candidates that LSU considered in some capacity when Saban left for the Dolphins:

* Louisville coach Bobby Petrino rubbed him the wrong way.

* Bertman liked the idea of hiring Steve Spurrier if Saban left, but Spurrier was impatient and accepted the South Carolina job in November, a month before Bertman hired Miles.

* Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer did not seem interested in the job.

* President George H.W. Bush personally called to vouch for ex-Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, but Bertman didn't consider him a viable candidate.
phatbeast
AG
HW vouching for RC.
dcowboy808
AG
HW vouching for HRC
TMartin
Bertman didn't consider RC a viable candidate ?????
8T2
quote:
This is actually a pretty good article giving insight to what goes down during a big-time coaching search. It's LSU's former AD spilling the beans on the Les Miles hire and also the run Michigan took at him in 2011.

quote:
"I swear to God that's true. He turned it down," Bertman said. "LSU had just given him this new contract, and the president of Domino's Pizza flew down on a Domino's plane and offered him [the Michigan job], and he says, 'You've got to tell me tonight, Les, because if you don't say yes, I'm going to get Brady Hoke.' And sure enough, he took off and the next day you read in the paper that he hired Brady Hoke."

quote:
Bertman rattled off a long list of candidates that LSU considered in some capacity when Saban left for the Dolphins:

* Louisville coach Bobby Petrino rubbed him the wrong way.

* Bertman liked the idea of hiring Steve Spurrier if Saban left, but Spurrier was impatient and accepted the South Carolina job in November, a month before Bertman hired Miles.

* Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer did not seem interested in the job.

* President George H.W. Bush personally called to vouch for ex-Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, but Bertman didn't consider him a viable candidate.

If you all will recall, Herbstreit announced that Les was taking the Michigan job just before LSU's game that Saturday. Miles was furious and called a press conference to deny that he was leaving LSU. Many believed at the time, and still do, that Miles had accepted the Michigan job, but wanted it kept quiet until he had time to inform his team after the game. When someone in the athletic department scooped the announcement to Herby, Miles became furious and changed his mind, staying at LSU.
Stupe
S

quote:
If you all will recall, Herbstreit announced that Les was taking the Michigan job just before LSU's game that Saturday. Miles was furious and called a press conference to deny that he was leaving LSU. Many believed at the time, and still do, that Miles had accepted the Michigan job, but wanted it kept quiet until he had time to inform his team after the game. When someone in the athletic department scooped the announcement to Herby, Miles became furious and changed his mind, staying at LSU.

I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Nice recall.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I've always wondered if Herbstreit's sources were from Ohio State, just trying to mess up the hiring of Miles at their arch rival.
8T2
quote:
quote:
I've always wondered if Herbstreit's sources were from Ohio State, just trying to mess up the hiring of Miles at their arch rival.
Heh. If so, it kept tOSU on top for another 4 years.
rbcs_2
AG
quote:

Always had a hard time believing that story. Just like the story where Jerry Jones was about to draft Manziel but his son took the draft card away.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:

Always had a hard time believing that story. Just like the story where Jerry Jones was about to draft Manziel but his son took the draft card away.
That might be because from Miles to Brady Hoke is just too big of a leap??
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Did RC attempt to coach anywhere after he was fired here? Were any schools interested?
marble rye
AG
No. He stayed on here as a University Representative for a million a year or something.
SilverTongueDevil
quote:
Did RC attempt to coach anywhere after he was fired here? Were any schools interested?
There was some talk that he was seriously considered for jobs like Kentucky and Baylor shortly after being fired/reassigned. I think he knew that he was never going to get a top job again and didn't want to go to a mid major caliber program.

I remember the LSU think where GHWB called on his behalf to get him an interview. Big waste of time.

Spurrier would have been a great hire at that time for LSU. Miles success (almost all of it before Saban got things rolling at Bama) but Spurrier probably could have done a lot more. And Im guessing he would have gone head to head with Saban better than Miles did.
rbcs_2
AG
quote:
That might be because from Miles to Brady Hoke is just too big of a leap??
Nah it just sounds like a ridiculous story. Hoke was the (slightly less hyped) Tom Herman of his time.
AgNav93
AG
quote:
Bertman didn't consider RC a viable candidate ?????
You obviously are suffering from euphoric recall concerning RC. His final years were painful and telling. There is a reason he never coached again.
CentexAg
AG
The RC bashing is trite and juvenile. He was a good coach who at 1 point had more players in the NFL than any other program. He was a GREAT representative of our university. Why can't you'll leave well enough alone?

LSU did extend an offer to him- in '99. He considered it then turned it down when bonfire collapsed.

Yes- he struggled in his final years with Mac at tu, Saban at LSU, Stoops at OU and Leech at tt, but he never stopped believing in this University and coached with class and dignity right up until his last game. His tenure was very similar to Les Miles tenure at LSU in a lot of ways.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
The RC bashing is trite and juvenile. He was a good coach who at 1 point had more players in the NFL than any other program. He was a GREAT representative of our university. Why can't you'll leave well enough alone?

LSU did extend an offer to him- in '99. He considered it then turned it down when bonfire collapsed.

Yes- he struggled in his final years with Mac at tu, Saban at LSU, Stoops at OU and Leech at tt, but he never stopped believing in this University and coached with class and dignity right up until his last game. His tenure was very similar to Les Miles tenure at LSU in a lot of ways.
And he continues to be an ambassador for Texas A&M. He loves A&M as much as anyone and is a terrific representative of Aggieland.
ccolley68
AG
I love RC, love what he did as a coach, love his time after and his fine representation of the University. He is a man of honor and class, and the school is lucky to still have him around after the way they treated him.

That said, I wouldn't consider anything posted on this thread to be mean or RC bashing. His final years were painful and his style of play was a generation behind the rest of football, much like Miles. As far as not being a viable candidate for the LSU job in '04, why would that be surprising? He had been fired by us, he was up there in age, and he was unemployed a full season at the time LSU was searching. He was a great man, but a legit candidate for an SEC team that had just the year before won a national title? I'm sorry, but no.
The Debt
Rob Childress would never leave Olsen
Obejuan03
AG
My school years coincided with Slocum's final years. Not many people from that era would begrudge Slocum a special place in the Aggie pantheon of greats based upon his body of work in the SWC. That being said, the latter years were as much full of euphoric highs as much as lows. For every Big 12 Championship appearance, there was 51-6 drubbing by a then still up and coming OU program. For every defeat of #1 ranked OU with a flashy young QB Reggie McNeal coming off of the bench (my favorite Aggie game that I attended of all time), there was a follow up turd of a loss to extremely mediocre MU.

In hindsight, I would have rather kept him than go through the Fran years, but a change was needed, unfortunately. Looking at it from Slocum's perspective, it makes a ton of sense to ride out in the sunset with a cush job living in a place where people largely revere you. If I was his age, I would do it no other way.
neAGle96
AG
In 1999 they reached out to RC prior to hire big Saban from Michigan State
Aero95
AG
Don't forget halfway thru his final season, he finally got a great offense going when he promoted one Kevin Sumlin to OC to replace the inept Babers. KS with Reggie was exciting, and could've been great to watch in the coming years with a good Slocum defense but it was not to be.
cisgenderedAggie
quote:
HW douching for HRC
Wood Watch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.