Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Satellites at tailgates

5,826 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoCalAg97
AGGIE BAND
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried posting on another board, but they must go to sleep at 8.

I am a DirecTV customer and have for years wanted to get a satellite to bring to tailgates. I haven't had much luck on the web with details on how to go about it. I'm curious if there are any other Ags (or other fans) who have DirecTV at home and bring a satellite out to the parking lot on game day.I would like to stick with DirecTV, I cant imagine it being cheaper to have Dish at the stadium and DirecTV at home. I would assume DirecTV does some kind of a bundle deal

Do you have to buy an additional dish?
Is there a cheaper way to buy them not through DirecTV?
If you're a DirecTV customer how much more to they charge for this service?
Is it a real pain to set up or is it relatively simple?

And most of all, is it worth it for 6 days a year?

Thanks for any thoughts. Those who respond with informative input can go google Lindsey Pelas as a reward
htownag2006
You need a dish and a activated receiver box. You could technically take the dish and one of your home receivers and make it all work at kyle field. Most people get an extra dish and receiver just to avoid having to take it all down at home and put it back up later.
htownag2006
A much simpler option is just getting a cheap antenna and watching whatever games are broadcast over network tv. You miss the cable games but still get several options with way way way easier and cheaper set up
ScottishFire
AG
quote:
You need a dish and a activated receiver box. You could technically take the dish and one of your home receivers and make it all work at kyle field. Most people get an extra dish and receiver just to avoid having to take it all down at home and put it back up later.

This is what we do at our tailgate. Make sure to get the free receiver--Direct tv will try to make you buy another super genie and subsequently charge you and extra 40/month.
AG @ HEART
I Use the dish version. For my setups.

http://www.adventurerv.net/king-flex-vuqube-flex-portable-satellite-qube-dish-vq2100r-refurbished-p-32333.html
LostAg
If you are an AT&T mobile subscriber, the DirecTV app no longer uses up any of your 4G LTE data as of Sept 8. .. You can buy an HDMI adapter for your phone or tablet and hook it up to your tv and watch the games thru the app...
12thmanfootball
AG
Stream it to a projector or TV from your phone.
ScottishFire
AG
quote:
If you are an AT&T mobile subscriber, the DirecTV app no longer uses up any of your 4G LTE data as of Sept 8. .. You can buy an HDMI adapter for your phone or tablet and hook it up to your tv and watch the games thru the app...
This is an awesome idea, but I would be worried about the reception. My families' cell service is terrible around the stadium and at our tail gate. I guess it would work well, if you had a myfi hotspot of sorts.
LostAg
I was wondering that myself. All that game day population boost really clogs up those cell towers. One of the flaws of signing up on that unlimited plan is that AT&T takes the hotspot off your phone. We normally put up a dish but we are going to experiment with using the app for the UT game.
oldyella
AG
Been tailgating with directv at A&M for 15 years.

Do you have to buy an additional dish?
Yes you will want to buy an additional dish make sure it supports your type of receiver, SWiM for example
Is there a cheaper way to buy them not through DirecTV?
Flee bay, or google w/o quotes "directv dish" select site that begins with solid - they are reputable
If you're a DirecTV customer how much more to they charge for this service?
Zero if you do not mind bringing your home receiver, however I use a cheap HD receiver (additional receiver charge ~$7 per month). I do not bring my dvr's as they are more fragile with the hard drive than solid state chips. Also replacing a simple HD receiver is cheaper than a DVR/genie.
Is it a real pain to set up or is it relatively simple?
First time is a major PITA. I suggest testing at home if you live in Dallas/Houston/Austin/San Antonio settings for those locations should be "close enough". I bring a bubble level, the main thing is keeping level at all times and point south. Worse case I am lot 65 and will come in for the assist for a modest price (cold one paid on a working system) ask around people know I am the dish guy.
ccolley68
AG
Amazon FireTV or Appletv is the better option. Get a cheap hotspot from your cell phone company, or tap into Kyle Field Wifi if your close enough and call it a day. A little device the size of a thumb drive is a helluva lot easier to deal with than a satellite dish and big ass receiver box
Aggiemike96
AG
I'll echo OldYella. We tailgate in Penberthy and have DirecTV running every game, usually 2-3 TVs (yeah, we have a problem...need every possible game on).

You'll need (i) a dish compatible with your receiver, (ii) power supply for the dish, and (iii) activated receiver. I'm in Houston, so my dish's angle (asmunth or something like that) is pretty much the same. Here's my process:

- power-up the receiver (takes some time)
- level dish
- use "Satellite AR" app to find DirecTV sats in the sky and point dish in that direction
- use receiver's satellite signal feature to verify that I have pointed the dish correctly, adjust where necessary
- watch ESPN and drink beer

Entire process takes about 15 minutes, most of that is waiting for the receiver to load and "guide" to download.
BQ_90
AG
No way wifi will work, a mobile hotspot might, but big games the cell signal crashes

Get on eBay buy extra dish and tripod, get a bullseye level. The key is have a level dish. Then get a compass, point it about 200 degrees then fine tune. Best is to test at home first to get the elevation set.

I take receiver from bedroom, but you can buy another or get one for free from direct but you'll pay extra for it each month

Jarrin' Jay
AG
quote:
A much simpler option is just getting a cheap antenna and watching whatever games are broadcast over network tv. You miss the cable games but still get several options with way way way easier and cheaper set up

I second this and it is what we do, 2:30 CBS SEC game crystal clear.

Any of that do this have issues with the ABC night game? We can only get it tuned in 50% of the time.
LuvMarley
quote:
I'll echo OldYella. We tailgate in Penberthy and have DirecTV running every game, usually 2-3 TVs (yeah, we have a problem...need every possible game on).

You'll need (i) a dish compatible with your receiver, (ii) power supply for the dish, and (iii) activated receiver. I'm in Houston, so my dish's angle (asmunth or something like that) is pretty much the same. Here's my process:

- power-up the receiver (takes some time)
- level dish
- use "Satellite AR" app to find DirecTV sats in the sky and point dish in that direction
- use receiver's satellite signal feature to verify that I have pointed the dish correctly, adjust where necessary
- watch ESPN and drink beer

Entire process takes about 15 minutes, most of that is waiting for the receiver to load and "guide" to download.
Can you get HD when you do this?
Aggiemike96
AG
Yes. Only limited to the boundaries of the receiver and the TV. The signal is usually in the 97% or higher range. We have zero issues with HD signal.
Shooz in Katy
AG
For.
bluebolt09
AG
Does anybody know of a self aiming dish for DirectTV that has HD? I'm looking for something comparable to the King Tailgater for Dish. King makes the Quest one that works with DirectTV but it only allows SD.
AG @ HEART
Yes I posted a link to one above.

http://www.adventurerv.net/king-flex-vuqube-flex-portable-satellite-qube-dish-vq2100r-refurbished-p-32333.html
MikeyElko
AG
Avoid all the drama. Go to your nearest camping world, buy a "Tail Gater" dish network system or whatever is the equivalent for Direct TV. It is simple plug and play from their. The satellite auto sets up a and finds the signal for you.
AWP 97
AG
I have tried using the DirecTV app when dove hunting. Unless something has changed, you can't watch the games on CBS.
ScottishFire
AG
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Set-Up-a-DirecTV-Satellite-Dish-for-Tailgating-/10000000205254091/g.html

Here is a link to ebay explaining how to set up Direct TV for tailgating. They also have hyperlinks for equipment--should your read about an element of setup you don't yet own.

Hope it helps.
SARATOGA
Satellite + Receiver

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep

Boooop Boooop Booop Boooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop Booop

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

wbt5845
AG
quote:
Satellite + Receiver

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep BeepBeep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep

Boooop Boooop Booop Boooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop BooopBoooop Boooop Booop

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

You left out the intermittent:

"Honey is it working yet?"

"Do you need some help"

"Honey there's people here why isn't it working yet?"

"When are you going to get this working?"
Azariah
AG
quote:
Streaming anywhere in the vicinity of Kyle Field is going to work quite poorly.
bluebolt09
AG
Those will not support HD for direct TV. Only hd for dish.

http://kingconnect.com/product/tailgater-flex/

From that page

"Does not receive DIRECTV HD programming.
Not compatible with DIRECTV Ka band satellites or SWM only receivers."
BoobieMiles
Break down and get dish tailgater with receiver and remote $300 refurbished from camping world .
Do dish pay as you go ( 3 mos of football season = + - 200 ) the tailgater is super light and all of the equipment plus extension cord , plug in strips extra batteries etc fit in the box. Also get a HD air antenna for $15-20 from amazon and pick up 20 local channels in CS including cbs NBC etc For your 2nd tv
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
MarathonAg12
Just run a cable from someone's house.
AGGIE BAND
AG
Does anyone have luck with the clear floppy HD antennas? I've looked on the FCC website and it says the signal strength for everything but CBS is pretty poor? I'm hoping to stay late and celebrate while watching FSU-Miami.

VanZandt92
You need to check with an RVing forum. They'll know better. Lots used Dish as of a few years ago I think, not Directv
Builder93
AG
AGGIE BAND said:

Does anyone have luck with the clear floppy HD antennas? I've looked on the FCC website and it says the signal strength for everything but CBS is pretty poor? I'm hoping to stay late and celebrate while watching FSU-Miami.

I live in Bryan near campus and CBS is the only station that comes in clear with that setup. I tried it a year ago. May be different now.
SoCalAg97
AG
BoobieMiles said:

Break down and get dish tailgater with receiver and remote $300 refurbished from camping world .
Do dish pay as you go ( 3 mos of football season = + - 200 ) the tailgater is super light and all of the equipment plus extension cord , plug in strips extra batteries etc fit in the box. Also get a HD air antenna for $15-20 from amazon and pick up 20 local channels in CS including cbs NBC etc For your 2nd tv
thinking this may be the way to go. we tried two things this weekend, neither of which worked. we tried a) running my slingbox off a hotspot and b) amazon fire stick off the hotspot, neither of which worked. basically, running off a hotspot doesn't work with that many people around.

I've looked at those portable satellites, but as someone said above, can't get HD quality with Direct TV.

so now im wondering if its worth switching from Direct TV to Dish just for this reason alone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.