Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tennessee Fan Looking for Visit Tips

16,121 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SA-AG72
johnnylongball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi All -

First, I apologize if this info is already on the forums somewhere. I thought there would be a topic on this question but I searched and couldn't find it. It's getting late in the afternoon and maybe it's my fault for not being able to find it from being tired of staring at this screen. If there is, a link to that discussion would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'm a Tennessee fan. We're making our first trip to College Station next weekend. I'm old (40s) and we've been going to a Tennessee away game for 20+ years. Kyle Field is the old SEC stadium we've never visited.

I'd like to get a few tips on maximizing our visit. What are some things we should be sure to take in so that we get the full Aggie experience? Places to eat and drink? Things to see?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

JLB
_mpaul
AG
quote:
I'm old (40s)
Easy there.
birddog7000
AG
Don't bring a 1 year old.
Gigem713
pack plenty of Vienna sausages. They are used as currency down here.
bigbama247
AG
You have to visit the Memorial Student Center. A lot of great history info in there.

Don't forget to uncover!! (take your hat off)

Welcome to Aggieland!
Brush Country
If we're kicking your ass, don't punch a random 50 yr old Ag in the face cuz if you do, we'll punch you back, arrest you, press charges, and try to track you down and ruin your life via the interwebs.

Other than that, howdy and welcome.
Miles711
AG
You're welcome to come chill at my tailgate. We'll be the ones wearing maroon, can't miss us.

Someone at a computer will be along shortly with a more helpful answer.
whatthehey78
AG
Make mid-night yell practice the night before and perhaps Bush Library if you have time and your leanings are in that direction. I'll leave reastaurants, bars, etc. up to the younger crowd.
JR Ewingford
Go to Northgate and drink a lot of beer before the game.
mOnion
AG
grew up in cstat, class of '12

places my fiance and I eat at everytime we're in cstat:
potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

while you're here, visit the MSC when you're on campus, really neat. lots of great gameday activities to do on the north end of kyle field. go to the Dixie Chicken, have a pitcher
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You can pee anywhere here. It's a strange tradition at first, but feel free to embrace it!
FriscoKid
AG
There is a really good thread that would help. Hope someone posts it for you instead. Enjoy your trip. I think you will have a great time, but a long and frustrated drive home.
Bigfoot In Aggieland
AG
Check out the Bush presidential library and the Dixie Chicken.

THEamc
AG
Never change, zoo.
EVA3
AG
By the way, you'll get a lot of silly answers here. Don't take it personally!

Hope you have a great time, except for the outcome of the game.
ShotOver
AG
Welcome to Aggieland....I'm sure you'll enjoy the Aggie fans. Feel free to saunter up to any tailgate and introduce yourselves....I'm sure your family will be welcomed with open arms.

In addition to the above suggestions, you might want to make some time to visit the bonfire memorial. I'd also try to make it over to the Quad to watch the Corps of Cadets step off, (1 1/2 hours before kickoff time, I believe..). At any rate, we're glad you're making the trip and it would be good to meet you.
Ragoo
AG
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

while you're here, visit the MSC when you're on campus, really neat. lots of great gameday activities to do on the north end of kyle field. go to the Dixie Chicken, have a pitcher
do not go to any of the restaurants mentioned above.
ghollow
AG
Don't miss midnight yell practice Friday night at Kyle Field. Just follow the crowd. It is an experience.

on game day, wear your Tennesse garb and walk through the Tailgates in Spence Park just east of the Kyle Field. I guarantee you will be well-fed and drink plenty of free beer. You will be welcomed.
pingpro4
AG
quote:
Welcome to Aggieland....I'm sure you'll enjoy the Aggie fans. Feel free to saunter up to any tailgate and introduce yourselves....I'm sure your family will be welcomed with open arms.

In addition to the above suggestions, you might want to make some time to visit the bonfire memorial. I'd also try to make it over to the Quad to watch the Corps of Cadets step off, (1 1/2 hours before kickoff time, I believe..). At any rate, we're glad you're making the trip and it would be good to meet you.
This!
pingpro4
AG
quote:
Don't miss midnight yell practice Friday night at Kyle Field. Just follow the crowd. It is an experience.

on game day, wear your Tennesse garb and walk through the Tailgates in Spence Park just east of the Kyle Field. I guarantee you will be well-fed and drink plenty of free beer. You will be welcomed.
This
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Eat at the Republic on Friday evening. Great steaks and whiskey selection.

Go out on Northgate, the campus bar district, on Friday night. Lots of great bars there. Barhop until you find something that you like. Most will recommend stopping at the Dixie Chicken. Leave around 11:30 if you want to check out Midnight Yell at Kyle Field.

People tailgate all over our huge campus. I would recommend tailgating in Spence Park, the park right next to Kyle Field. Aggies are friendly - you'll be invited to join many tailgates.

Hope you have a good time. And that y'all lose!
mOnion
AG
quote:
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

make a suggestion then kid. hope you realize chili's and outback steakhouse isn't local cuisine.
malenurse
AG
quote:
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

Hey, Fuego's is awesome. Hit that for lunch.

I would go to Sodolak's for dinner.
mOnion
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

Hey, Fuego's is awesome. Hit that for lunch.

I would go to Sodolak's for dinner.
Forgot about Sodalak's. Easily best chicken fried steak in BCS
Sandman23
AG
1. Absolutely check out the Bonfire Memorial. Very good tribute for some wonderful Ags.
2. Go see the MSC on gameday, lots of good historical information and fun to be had (make sure to remove your hat indoors and stay off of the grass)
3. Go to Midnight Yell. It is a one-of-a-kind experience and definitely needs to be seen in person at least once.
4. Visit Northgate either on Friday night or after the game. Lots of bars in walking distance, each a little different, but all pretty fun.
5. Enjoy the atmosphere and post you impressions here afterwards!

Gig 'Em!
Gigemags382
AG
quote:
You can pee anywhere here. It's a strange tradition at first, but feel free to embrace it!
This
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Friday Evening - Have pitcher at the Dixie Chicken and take a stab at playing Texas 42 (dominoes) with one of the local tables in the Chicken. Aggies are probably the most welcoming home fan base you will find in America.

Friday at Midnight - Take in Midnight Yell at Kyle Field...Bring thick skin becauase it always starts with some jabs at the opposing team.

Saturday GameDay:
If it's a 6pm start, use the late morning to check out the George Bush Presidential Library and MSC (Memorial Student Center) just across from Kyle Field. Spend late after noon, munching on the best Texas BBQ you can find while socializing with resident Tailgaters. Watch the Fighting Texas Aggie Band march in, and don't pull this bull**** Kaepernick has been pulling. Take off your hat, cover your heart, and pay respect to the military and our GREAT flag.

If kick of is 2:30pm just do a condensed version of above.

all the best. Gig'em
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Breakfast - Hullabaloo Diner
Lunch - Chicken Oil Company
Dinner - Upscale - The Republic
Dinner - Casual - Sodolaks
Bar - Dixie Chicken
Midnight Yell
Bonfire Memorial
MSC
On gameday...see The corps step off at the quad, tailgate in Spence Park, wear cargo shorts and sneak booze into the game.
Have fun...Welcome To Aggieland!
wesag
AG
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

Or just go to the Shiloh Grill for the yellow gravy.
Galborathelion
quote:
quote:
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

make a suggestion then kid. hope you realize chili's and outback steakhouse isn't local cuisine.
jtamuk5
AG
When you say "we're," does this mean you and the rib? Are y'all swingers? Rule #1 damn it!
aeroag14
AG
Howdy,

Excited to host yall next weekend!
There are a few things you HAVE to do if it is your first trip down.

1) Midnight yell: It is quirky and kind of weird (if you have never seen it). But it is a one of a kind tradition that is unique to A&M. For the Tennessee game (since it will be a big game) yell practice will be packed.

2) The Dixie Chicken: The Chicken is the most famous bar in college station. As far as a great late night bar scene? Its not the best. But, it is the most Aggie place on earth. Swing in, get a burger and a pitcher of Shiner. Play some pool or dominoes and then order another pitcher!

3) North Gate: North gate is the bar district right across the street from campus (The chicken is on north gate as well). There are ~25 bars in a couple block radius, all directly across the street from campus. If you go later on Friday or Saturday it will be packed with students enjoying themselves. Its still a fun place to hang out, even if youre older. If the weather is nice, go to The Corner Bar and go get drinks on their third floor roof. Swing by the chicken. If you want a nicer environment and a cocktail, swing by Rough Draft Whisky bar or head down to West End Elixir.

4) The MSC. The MSC is the equivalent of a student union at other schools, but it is SOOOOOO much more than that. MSC stands for Memorial Student Center and is often described as the "living room of campus". In addition to all of your normal student union type things, the building itself is a memorial to Aggies who have given their lives in defense of our country. For that reason you are asked to "Uncover" or take your hat off when you are in the MSC. Outside of the MSC is the grass that Aggies are oft made fun of. The grass in front of the MSC is a living memorial to fallen Aggies/Americans and it is asked that you respect that memorial by not walking on the grass.

5) The Bush Presidential Library. It is a very good presidential library, bur for a football weekend it may be a bit lower on my list.

6) Tailgating: If you don't already have a tailgate in mind, I would recommend just kind of wandering around Spence Park (on the east side of Kyle Field). It is a big park that is full of tailgaters and I am sure more than a handful will invite you in, give you a beer and be happy to make sure you are enjoying your visit. Another good tailgating spot is at Reed Arena (the basketball arena). You lose the shade of spence park if you go to Reed Arena BUT the tailgating is every bit as good imo. We usually do a little tailgate in the rec parking lot (right across the street from reed), so if we bump into each other we have a beer or two with your name on it.

7) The Corps March in. Before the game the Corps of Cadets marches into the stadium. However, to see this you have to be in the game over an hour before kick off. As an alternative, I would recommend tailgating in Spence park and then watching them march in down Houston Street (the street just east of Kyle Field).

8) The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. At half time do yourself a favor and don't just ignore the band by going to the restroom. The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is a unique band and highly entertaining/impressive. Despite how the game is going, the Aggies always win half time. That should give you some insight into how good they are .

Ok so as far as restaurants the ones I would hit up are:
Fuego: Best tacos you've ever had

Corner Bar and Grill: Right across the street from campus and Rooftop is very nice if weather is good.

Dixie Chicken: Discussed above. A must do imo.

Blackwater Brewing Company: Also on north gate. They brew their own beer and have a great relaxed atmosphere

Hope yall have good travels and enjoy your trip (besides the game)! Welcome to Aggieland!
AggieRugger04
AG
Bonfire Memorial is a must.
So is midnight yell.
My bar of choice is always duddley's draw next door to the Dixie Chicken on northgate.
Chicken oil company for good eats.
Any tailgate is good but Spence park is my favorite and a good place to watch the corps March in.
Take a walk through campus and check out the memorial student center.
Welcome to Aggieland!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

potato shack or
wings n more or
fuego or
koppe bridge or
harvey washbangers or
ozonas

This is like the Disneyland version of College Station.

Besides MSC, Dixie Chicken, Koppe Bridge, and then Fuego for late night drunk food.
Ags06Win
AG
WELCOME TO AGGIELAND....

I have been blessed to attend a game at Neyland... and will definitely go back when the Aggies head your way!

1) Northgate... Spend some time at the Heart of Aggieland... the Dixie Chicken!

2) MSC.. Memorial Student Center (Middle of Campus, across the street from Kyle Field)... Take off your hat to honor our Veterans!

3) Watch Band/Corps March In.... This will occur 90 minutes prior to kickoff in front of Kyle Field. The Band, the Corps, and the Cannon will all head towards the stadium in step!

4) Midnight Yell... The night before the game.. Gather at Midnight at Kyle Field for an experience you will never forget!

Enjoy the Experience!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.