Aggressive Atricle on the "UH Ban" on 610 in Houston

15,680 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Junction1956
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.papercitymag.com/culture/tom-herman-610-am-ban-feud-nick-wright-university-houston-football-fight/

Wow! 1 year later and still sour grapes...
BQ_90
AG
Damn 610 will lose the five UH fans that want to talk UH football.
whatshappening
Watch the game Saturday. Then tell me if you think there's only 5 fans.
whatthehey78
AG
Okay...six!
runontexas
AG
Cougar Football and Tom Herman

I for one hope he stays and wins a title in Htown
The Collective
AG
quote:
Watch the game Saturday.

No.
LatinAggie1997
AG
I know 4 people that attended UH and are also big Texans fans. They don't care about UH football until they are in the top ten, undefeated, and on national TV, and even then they support the team by wearing a Coog hat. You simply can not expect these guys to drive all the way across town to support their team more than twice every four years. I don't believe I've ever seen them wearing a UH shirt outside something phenomenal happening with the team... twice every four years.
agz win
AG
quote:

Hopefully, a better turnout than last years conference championship held on Cougar High's campus.
Al Bula
AG
Yawn... Not an Aggie football related article. And anyone who brings up Kyle Allen is a moron.
The Debt
I hope that aggressive atricle doesn't result in a cardiac arrest.
allknowinag82
The Nick Wright homo hates A&M, too. Glad we don't have to listen to him in HOU anymore.

That said... can Sumlin or someone on the staff claim the radio spot for the FREE publicity in the Houston area?? It would be great to see more Ags and SEC media favor in Houston.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
LOL. My first thought as well.
Junction1956
Stupid move by UH.

Never get in a fight with a news entity that buys ink by the barrel.

Think rationally, you think that CBS Sports Radio cares about Tom Herman? 610 has the Texans, they care more about the Texans than UH.Let him pull his coachs' show. Should he have a successful year, you think he won't jump to LSU should Miles be canned? Auburn? Arkansas?

UH is not assured of the Big 12. A Florida school and Cincinatti have the inside track now. Sad fact, the big 12 doesn't need UH.

So what does UH do when Herman leaves and they don't make the Big 12?

They have pissed off a powerhouse media outlet and will have to eat a big **** burger, all caused by hubris on UHs' part.

Roll Tide

schmendeler
AG
People listen to sports radio? Who knew.
DGAG92
AG
It's Houston, who cares.....most of their sports teams and all of their sports radio stations suck.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Back in the late 90s until the mid 2000s 610 was decent. Then KGOW was okay and it ended up failing and now they're all very very bad. But Houston's Charlie Pulilo, without question is the best in the state and one of the best in the biz.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Houston is full of bandwagon fans. The hardest decision they make is whether to root for the Rockets or the Spurs that year. Makes sense it extends to college.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
Why is Houston a SEC town? If anybody cared about UH why didn't they build a bigger stadium?
bigblackag12
AG
quote:

Houston sucks. 40k fans on your best day isnt impressive
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I went to the u of h, Memphis game last year. My wife went to Memphis. Not going to lie, I was impressed by Houston's atmosphere. To me, it was more intimidating/impressive than Boone pickens 2009, Kyle field north 2010, or William Brice 2014.
The Debt
quote:
I went to the u of h, Memphis game last year. My wife went to Memphis. Not going to lie, I was impressed by Houston's atmosphere. To me, it was more intimidating/impressive than Boone pickens 2009, Kyle field north 2010, or William Brice 2014.

If you want to see zealous nondegreed adults cheering for an organization they have no affiliation with other than "geography pride" NRG stadium is open on sundays.
Texas A&M
I'd like to see UofH do well this year, but Herman comes across like a Belichick wannabe... a grumpy whiner who's act grows old very quickly.
Buck Nasty
AG
quote:
quote:

Houston sucks. 40k fans on your best day isnt impressive

They're only 10k fans away from the amount of people where sound maxes out.
Madman
AG
I work in Houston. We have two UH grads in the office. Both are younger than 30. One doesn't care about UH at all and the other pretends to be a longhorn.
phillyag92
AG
Uh is playing Saturday? Prime time? Oh right, 11am.

Coogs had one good year in their second tier conference and they are now world beaters? Hahaha.
goodAg80
AG
Everyone is getting publicity out of this. Boring.
DrZ
AG
Getting in a cat fight with the media is a losing proposition. It is akin to confronting the lady with the bad attitude at the DMV. You may be right but you are going to lose.
Sports media actually believe they are the reason people love sports. They aren't. They are a result of our love.
610 will never quit hounding them. They suffer from a severe inferiority complex. That is why they constantly make sexual innuendo references and bristle at any criticism.
That said Herman sounds like a jerk as well. Good coach but needs to be in the pros. College is to emotional for him.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I may be in the minority, but I'm with coach on this one. If the supposed "big guys" in sports radio in your own town disrespect your program (even when you are in the top 15), then f*** 'em. I wouldn't waste my time on them, either.

Why take 30 minutes out of your week to spend on their channel when you could use that time cultivating a rapport with another entity who will actually care about your program?

Of course, this just reinforces the whole inferiority complex the city of Houston has with their sports teams.
HeyMoe
AG
quote:
People listen to sports radio? Who knew.
I broke the sports-talk radio habit 5 years ago. Don't miss it at all.
ElCheAg
AG
So did Herman and Kyle Allen meet in Houston as 610 claimed?
RDV-1992
quote:
I may be in the minority, but I'm with coach on this one. If the supposed "big guys" in sports radio in your own town disrespect your program (even when you are in the top 15), then f*** 'em. I wouldn't waste my time on them, either.

Why take 30 minutes out of your week to spend on their channel when you could use that time cultivating a rapport with another entity who will actually care about your program?

Of course, this just reinforces the whole inferiority complex the city of Houston has with their sports teams.

Agreed.
Saint Arnold
AG
Houston sports radio sucks hard. They wouldn't think of interviewing important people / coaches / former players, getting expert opinions, discussing game opponents & strategy....

After waiting through :20 minute commercial breaks, they come back only to blab on about upcoming movies, which actress is hotter, and spend the rest of their time taking calls from barely literate dumbasses across town who mumble incoherently about whether the Texans make the Super Bowl. Then another :20 minute commercial break. Listen to any of the Houston sports radio stations and you'll want those minutes of your life back.
BillYeoman
Charlie Pallilo is great.

I think Sumlin "banned" 610 when he was at UH and I haven't heard him on 610 while at A&M either.

790 is the only sports radio station in Houston.

LonghornDub
quote:
Is an atricle to the right of a ventricle or to the left?

I'll tape the UH game and watch it if OU loses - my favorite type of game.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Junction1956
quote:

One year and Sagarin ranking of 90 after a bowl win doesn't earn respect. Play a big boy schedule and win consistently year after year then talk. CBS sports is rather large entity you don't want to piss off.

Myopic view for a program that wants to be big time. Grow a set, get thicker skin and learn a lesson from Coach Yeoman. Win with what you have against good schools.

Roll Tide
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.