Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Stop it with the 36-16 record for Sumlin

48,802 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rbcs_2
cmsaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2012 - SMU, LaTech, SC State, Sam Houston St.
2013 - Rice, Sam Houston St., SMU, UTEP
2014 - Lamar, Rice, SMU, and La Monroe
2015 - Ball St., Nevada, Western Carolina

Man, what a bunch of powerhouses! You could argue that we are expected to win those 15 games. Plus we have played Vandy twice- which Vandy is clearly an inferior program.

That's 17 games right there. You could argue that Sumlin's record is more appropriately stated at 19 - 16.

Now some people look at our division (the toughest in College Football period) and say that is not too bad considering our status in the Big 12 5 years ago. Others look at the facilities, the recruiting, the money funneling into the program, and think we deserve better.
FW Declerk
k
texancanuck11
He replaced a guy that went 25-25 in the BDF. Still an upgrade.
Hulla Baller
AG
For the OP...
Amazing Moves
amercer
AG
THE ONLY WINS THAT COUNT ARE THE ONES AGAINST TEAMS THAT FINISH THE SEASON UNDEFEATED!!!!
Mr. Black
quote:
...You could argue that Sumlin's record is more appropriately stated at 19 - 16...

Yes, you could, but you'd be incorrect.
Agsrock44
Why don't you throw up a list of "powerhouses" RC and Sherman beat? What's your point? How about letting this season play out before you start pot banging to run him off? What a miserable human being you must be to post this, when most Ags are excited for the start of the season. Pathetic.
The Collective
AG
A lot of coaches have a pretty mediocre record if you look at it against teams that have winning records. It is what it is.
birddog7000
AG
Arkansas State
Tech
Baylor (pre-Briles)

ag_eet
AG
This isn't a 30min sitcom where everything is resolved on a neat palatable warm and fuzzy schedule. We had to go from Sherman's mediocre BDF team to a competitive SEC team. This doesn't happen in a short period of time.
Clavell
AG
How about Stop it with tearing down our program before the season even starts?
RGLAG85
AG
quote:
THE ONLY WINS THAT COUNT ARE THE ONES AGAINST TEAMS THAT FINISH THE SEASON UNDEFEATED!!!!
cmsaggie12
AG
quote:
Why don't you throw up a list of "powerhouses" RC and Sherman beat? What's your point? How about letting this season play out before you start pot banging to run him off? What a miserable human being you must be to post this, when most Ags are excited for the start of the season. Pathetic.

Miserable human being??? Really dude. Show some respect. I articulated my point with respect. I didn't say what a loser Sumlin is and that he should be fired.

I said that I think saying a coach has a 36-16 record is misleading. Especially one that has never been close to winning our division, let alone our conference. I think Sumlin has delivered mediocre results thus far. But for years all I have heard from Coach Sumlin is the lack of experience at key positions. Well this year the QB, the WRs, the secondary and the D line is all mostly Juniors and Seniors. So let's see what he can do! I support Sumlin and wish him the best of luck this season. He deserves it! Gig 'Em!
fredfredunderscorefred
I agree man. You should write to the record books and let them know that Bobby Bowden really didn't have 357 wins and bear Bryant really didn't have 323 wins. But you probably need to analyze eachs schedule for the cupcakes so that the books can get it correct...

Geez....cupcakes are a part of football. They're a part of every sport. There is nothing earth shattering about the fact that a record includes very inferior teams. Nothing. At all.

Edit: In fact, using your 19-16 would actually be misleading because EVERYONE knows that records include cupcakes. So someone looking at a 19-16 record would think "damn that kinda sucks considering there had to have been cupcakes on the schedule". Everyone exempt the OP of course....
SARATOGA
0-4 Against LSU
1-3 Against Bama
2-2 Against Miss
3-1 Against MissSt
2-2 Against Auburn
4-0 Against a state that doesn't deserve a college

So that is 12-13

If that is incorrect feel free to correct me....

It should also be noted that I think Sumlin is a pretty good coach, but slow to learn. He has learned. But now its much harder because the wins aren't there.
TulaneAg
ClassOf17
Leaving out info to fit your agenda, perfect.

How about beating #1 and national champion Alabama? Or #3 Auburn? What about straight torching OU or being 6 points away from an undefeated season? What about hiring the best DC in the nation? Wether you like it or not, Sunlin brought this program to heights we've never seen before.

I'm not saying he's the best coach, but damn give the man credit for what he's done and not just what he hasn't.
RDV-1992
quote:

How about beating #1 and national champion Alabama? Or #3 Auburn? What about straight torching OU or being 6 points away from an undefeated season? What about hiring the best DC in the nation? Wether you like it or not, Sunlin brought this program to heights we've never seen before.

I'm not saying he's the best coach, but damn give the man credit for what he's done and not just what he hasn't.
But but but I hate him so none of that stuff counts!!!! Only the cherry picked stats that support my agenda are worth scrutiny!
RDV-1992
ps - that is sarcasm.
ashley
quote:
2012 - SMU, LaTech, SC State, Sam Houston St.
2013 - Rice, Sam Houston St., SMU, UTEP
2014 - Lamar, Rice, SMU, and La Monroe
2015 - Ball St., Nevada, Western Carolina

Man, what a bunch of powerhouses! You could argue that we are expected to win those 15 games. Plus we have played Vandy twice- which Vandy is clearly an inferior program.

That's 17 games right there. You could argue that Sumlin's record is more appropriately stated at 19 - 16.

Now some people look at our division (the toughest in College Football period) and say that is not too bad considering our status in the Big 12 5 years ago. Others look at the facilities, the recruiting, the money funneling into the program, and think we deserve better.

Didn't you know this was coming when we went to the SEC or did you buy that stuff that every good player would want to come to us because they want to play against the best.
ebag02
AG
113 - 86
56.7%
That was our entire big 12 record with cupcakes included. I guess mediocrity is a step up for us.
AGinHI
AG
Dad-O-Lot
AG
YEAH!! THE ONLY TEAMS WE'VE BEATEN SINCE SUMLIN BECAME COACH WERE TEAMS THAT LOST TO US!!! THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH -- WE NEED TO WIN AGAINST THE TEAMS THAT BEAT US!!!
CentexAg
AG
CMS- get the hell outta here! Seriously. I'm sick and tired of you and all your pessimistic a-Hole compadres trying to tear down the season before it even starts. At least wait until Bama to do that.
khaos288
AG
quote:
0-4 Against LSU
1-3 Against Bama
2-2 Against Miss
3-1 Against MissSt
2-2 Against Auburn
4-0 Against a state that doesn't deserve a college

So that is 12-12

If that is incorrect feel free to correct me....

It should also be noted that I think Sumlin is a pretty good coach, but slow to learn. He has learned. But now its much harder because the wins aren't there.
What's funny is if you asked what people expected in the first four years of SEC play the day after Sherm lost to texas, they would have said

0-4 Against LSU
0-4 Against Bama
3-1 Against Miss
2-2 Against MissSt
1-3 Against Auburn
1-3 Against a state that doesn't deserve a college

Which would have been 7-17 Had to correct your loss column, because you didn't add correctly.
Drake aTm
AG
I agree with OP. FIRE HIM BEFORE THE SEASON STARts!
ahlongslide
AG
quote:
cmsaggie12
AG
quote:
I agree with OP. FIRE HIM BEFORE THE SEASON STARts!

That's not what I said. Scroll up and read my last post.
cmsaggie12
AG
quote:
CMS- get the hell outta here! Seriously. I'm sick and tired of you and all your pessimistic a-Hole compadres trying to tear down the season before it even starts. At least wait until Bama to do that.

Stay classy sir. Scroll up and read my last post.
UntoldSpirit
AG
Alabama 28-4
LSU 20-12
A&M 17-15
Ole Miss 17-15
Miss St 17-15
Auburn 13-19
Arkansas 9-23

Maybe it doesn't meet some expectations, but all things considered, it's not a bad performance, and it should look better after this season.
CentexAg
AG
quote:
Alabama 28-4
LSU 20-12
A&M 17-15
Ole Miss 17-15
Miss St 17-15
Auburn 13-19
Arkansas 9-23

Maybe it doesn't meet some expectations, but all things considered, it's not a bad performance, and it should look better after this season.

POTD
aglaes
AG
We all understand that 3 games a year are gimme's - so yes in 4 yrs, of Sumlin's 36 wins, at least 12 were gimme's. So out of the tougher conf and 1/yr tougher non-conf games he's 24-16. Not great, but not terrible either, considering we are in the toughest division of the toughest conference.

This is season 5 so presumably about 90% or better of the players are now Sumlin recruits - only FR that got a RS from his 1st year remain that were not brought in by Sumlin's staff. You could argue that they were Sumlin recruits too since he had already signed on as coach when those players signed, but most of that class had already been committed when Sherman was shown the door.

Sumlin has definitely made mistakes - especially with coaching hires and retaining coaches too long (Spaz), but I like the changes made to the staff in the last couple of years - Chief, Turner, Mazzone - all appear to be upgrades. Also seems to have issues with managing team chemistry and player egos. Last year was a cluster. The dissention and chaos was a huge issue. The team lacked leaders and maturity. And much of that has to fall on the head coach.

Recruiting has been good, but still missing in key areas. We still aren't sure we have SEC caliber LB's and this year our O-line 2 deep only has 2 upper classman. We have a true fish and RS fish penciled in to be starters on the OL. I hope their really good, but my guess is we will see that as a big weakness this year. Not really landed a true stud running back yet either - is this an issue with Sumlin's system?

But overall, I'm optimistic. I think the D will be much improved in Chief's 2nd year and if we can get some decent LB play to stop the run, our D could be REALLY good.

We have some incredible playmakers on O and D and it should be an exciting season, but 9-3 is probably the best a reasonable person would predict for this team. That's my expectation for this year.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
"I only count wins that fit my agenda." - cmsaggie12
cmsaggie12
AG
quote:

That's not my agenda. I love Sumlin. I think the man is an outstanding coach. I love the energy he has brought to the program and I'm hopeful he sticks around in College Station for a very long time. I just disagree using "36-16" as a clear indicator of what Sumlin has brought this program in terms of success. Urban Meyer is 50-4 in the same tenure as head coach at Ohio State. They compete for conference and national championships every single year. I'm sorry. Looking at 36-16 you would think maybe we have sniffed a division title maybe twice and a conference championship once in 4 years. That has not been the case. We had a magical 2012 season with a once in a lifetime player. That's the story of Sumlin. I don't think 36-16 is an accurate depiction of Sumlin's tenure here.

I think the man is a great coach. I want him to have success here. I will be yelling all season at every game for success.

I'm sorry y'all disagree but at least show some respect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.