Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"After Another Mediocre Year Kevin Sumlin.......

18,703 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tango Mike
downhomeaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read an article today with Coach Sum's picture on it as the number one coach in the nation on the hot seat. The line read....."After another mediocre year Kevin Sumlin's back-to-back eight-win seasons and quarterback transfers,He is in need of a saving year."

I'm reading this and I'm thinking.....The guy is 36-16 in the toughest conference in the nation by far and then I looked up what we did the previous 7 years....

Mike Sherman was an even 25-25 from 2008-11
Dennis Franchione went 32-28 from 2003-07

And among all active SEC coaches his five-year start record ranks third. I REALLY hope Coach Sum can ring up a solid year. It would be a shame to see us go backwards into the Franchione/Sherman era.

Let's kick some Bruin tail and get this season started the right way!

GIG EM!
sleepybeagle
AG
Agree
Bird Poo
AG
Cupcake wins don't count. We need to measure success by conference wins. See Georgia.
Rod Tidwell
AG
Fran and Sherman should not be the bar we set
chipotle
I don't question the man's record. I question his salary.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
Cupcake wins don't count. We need to measure success by conference wins. See Georgia.

So I guess none of RC's wins count.
AggieSouth06
Worth keeping him just to keep Chavis. If Mazzone doesn't fix the offense, find someone who will.
CentexAg
AG
This is CentexAg and I approve OP's message
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He's not on a scalding hot seat, he is on a warm seat. 8-4 with bowl W and he'll be back, still on warm seat. 8-4 and bowl W or 7-5 regardless of bowl and he will be on hot seat.

It's about trend. As it stand right now his greatest success is with Sherman evaluated, recruited and developed players. Not his own. If you look at the 4 year run the most recent is probably closer to what Sumin really is than 2012. He is supposedly an O minded coach but couldn't even fix his own offense after it went completely off the rails and went from the best in the SEC in 2012 (thanks to Sherman's OL) to one of the worst in conference and nation last season with bad OL play, bad QB play, etc. RC never had a bad defense. Saban never has a bad defense. Leach never has a bad offense. Meyer never has a bad offense. Those coaches, their units of which they are former coordinators on that side of the ball, regardless of who they have for OC or DC their side of the ball never goes in the tank. The only explanation for Sumlin not fixing the offense last season was that he can't and it was Kliff behind the UH and A&M success. We now will be running Mazone's offense, not Sumlin's. Even though we pay him a Top 5 salary, I guess that is just to hire top OC and DC to run his team.

So, yes, I would say his seat deserves to be warm, but it's not hot yet.
Post removed:
by user
greg.w.h
AG
Prior to the season starting, there are always discussions about which programs are dealing with potential "hot seats". To some extent or another they reflect the conversation and then to another extent they LEAD the conversation.

I think Sumlin deserves to hear from fans their opinions. I also think there is a decent chance (70%) of significant improvement with the new coaches. I especially believe we'll be more effective at the passing game because of a better OL and that the running game will be significantly better. I think the defense is likely to slip into the top 20 if not the top 10, though some of that depends on how we cover the middle of the field. Of our position groups, QB and LB are suspect, ST and OL are to be determined, RB and DB looks good if not solid, and we're pretty talented on WR and have extremely talented DEs and GOOD DTs.

The weakness at LB could explode. The return of Jim Turner could require time. ST only blows up if we get awful kickers or the position coaches don't prioritize best athletes to ST. But there is STILL a lot left that could go very, very well.

But Sumlin doesn't get credit until the end of the season for positives and he has to listen to carping and negatives the whole time. Didn't do what it takes to squelch it last year and then had the two "5*" QBs leave. He's a grown up. He can endure it.
CentexAg
AG
quote:
He's not on a scalding hot seat, he is on a warm seat. 8-4 with bowl W and he'll be back, still on warm seat. 8-4 and bowl W or 7-5 regardless of bowl and he will be on hot seat.

It's about trend. As it stand right now his greatest success is with Sherman evaluated, recruited and developed players. Not his own. If you look at the 4 year run the most recent is probably closer to what Sumin really is than 2012. He is supposedly an O minded coach but couldn't even fix his own offense after it went completely off the rails and went from the best in the SEC in 2012 (thanks to Sherman's OL) to one of the worst in conference and nation last season with bad OL play, bad QB play, etc. RC never had a bad defense. Saban never has a bad defense. Leach never has a bad offense. Meyer never has a bad offense. Those coaches, their units of which they are former coordinators on that side of the ball, regardless of who they have for OC or DC their side of the ball never goes in the tank. The only explanation for Sumlin not fixing the offense last season was that he can't and it was Kliff behind the UH and A&M success. We now will be running Mazone's offense, not Sumlin's. Even though we pay him a Top 5 salary, I guess that is just to hire top OC and DC to run his team.

So, yes, I would say his seat deserves to be warm, but it's not hot yet.

RC never had a bad defense? You need to go back and look at his D's the last couple is seasons. The D his final season was worse than anything Sumlin has put on the field.
bigblackag12
AG
There are other coaches more deserving of being featured on a hot seat article.
Agsrback12
Where did Strong land on that list? He hasn't even had a winning season yet. And he coaches in the bdf. Something is off in that authors world.
45-70Ag
AG
1-7 against bama and lsu
Add auburn or ole miss to that and the record still sucks.
CrottyKid
AG
I am getting older now, and I think any coach should stay until he has back-to-back 6 win seasons.
rocky the dog
AG
How many recruits would we lose should he got fired?
letters at random
quote:
among all active SEC coaches his five-year start record ranks third.

Do you have the numbers on this? How many current SEC coaches have been at their school 5 years? I'm assuming Miles and Saban are the two who are above him.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
quote:
1-7 against bama and lsu
Add auburn or ole miss to that and the record still sucks.

Aren't we 4-4 vs Auburn and Ole Miss?

The way I see it is the last two years we've been average in the best conference in football. Before that we were pretty good in the best conference in football. We have a chance to be pretty good again this year.

If you want to compare our program to what Nick Saban (maybe the best coach of all time) does every year you're bound to be disappointed.
GreatSullysGhost
quote:
Every win counts. I would still like to see more conference wins by far, but every win counts.
Lungblood
Mike Sherman lost to Arkansas State... At home.
Bottlehead90
AG
KDS
fightinag
Lets schedule TLU and Blinn every year and we'll at least stay at 50-50

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR
W
AG
8-4 is not mediocre
chase128
AG
Our conference record is meh.

Our record at home against conf foes is abysmal.
AggsRule
Case had more to do with sumlins success at uh, more than cliff did.
Deputy Travis Junior
Excluding that magical first year, he's had a losing conference record, an embarrassing home record, and a 3-12 record against ranked teams (wins over Vanderbilt and Duke in year 2 and a win over Auburn in year 3. No ranked wins last year).

"Rabble rabble SEC!" isn't that impressive when you're losing almost all of the ranked games. And I simply don't care about his record against creampuffs unless there are too many Ls on it.
NevadaAg
AG
quote:
As it stand right now his greatest success is with Sherman evaluated, recruited and developed players. Not his own.

Please explain how this is a negative against his ability to coach. He took Sherman's recruited and developed talent that went 6-6 the previous year in the Big 12. A team that gave up 2nd half leads in 5 games that year. Sumlin took that team with a redshirt freshman QB, into our first year in the SEC and went 11-2. Not to mention without a bye week. I don't understand how people consider this a negative.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
8-4 is not mediocre

When your 4 losses are to teams that consistently finish the season above you in conference standings, it most certainly is.

It pretty much is regardless, but the nature of the losses solidifies it as such.
maroonsock
quote:
quote:
As it stand right now his greatest success is with Sherman evaluated, recruited and developed players. Not his own.

Please explain how this is a negative against his ability to coach. He took Sherman's recruited and developed talent that went 6-6 the previous year in the Big 12. A team that gave up 2nd half leads in 5 games that year. Sumlin took that team with a redshirt freshman QB, into our first year in the SEC and went 11-2. Not to mention without a bye week. I don't understand how people consider this a negative.
Whatever happens this fall is all on Sumlin. No matter how you slice it, Sumlin has JFF to thank for his big fat contract and at least 6 wins on will alone.

The o-line now, the qb now, and all the other can only be attributed to Sumlin. This is year 5, and there's other $5M/year coaches that won it all before year 5. I say time's up....put up or shut up. I'll just about bet my left one we go 5-7 and with the "don't feel any pressure" comment, I wouldn't doubt 4-8. A decent high school coach ought to be able to get 5 wins with this team, for about $4.9 million less dollars. So far, we aren't getting our money's worth. This is business, and sometimes when you're losing money you have to cut your losses.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Um, no, you need to get a clue. If we had that defense from 2002 in 2013 we win the NC. True it was once of RCs poorer defenses, but was in the top 40 nationally in every category ~.

Regardless, the point is spot on, and our supposed great offensive coach put an absolutely TERRIBLE offense on the field last season.

Sumlin is not a bad coach, but he isn't a great coach, just an average guy with a whistle and some SWAG and a helicopter available to him. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can be proven otherwise over the next 12 games, but 6-6 is as likely as 10-2. 7-5 to 9-3 is most likely, and 9-3 would be fantastic and have his seat comfortable and 72 degrees.....
marble rye
AG
I think anyone that starts a thread about Sumlin not getting it done or being on any watchlist, should have at least 3 candidates listed that we could realistically bring here to replace him.

Tom Herman can't be on your list. He wants sip job.
czar_iv
AG
So Sumlin won with Sherman's guys; hell Sherman couldn't win with his own guys in the freakin Big 12. You guys are stupid sometimes.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Because that is one side of the coin, and a large part of his job is to be able to evaluate and develop talent. Not like in the NFL and you buy talent.

Sherman signed Mike Evans and Ryan Swope and made them into NFL players, EZ also. Evans had ONE major scholly offer, one, but look what he developed into after RS and learning. Conversely other than Josh Reynolds and now Kirk, the skill position players are highly rated in HS but average performers in college (ahem, RSJ). RB can't even be compared with any measure of seriousness.

SEC is a LOS league, presumable Sumlin knew this when hired, and yet the OL went from best in the country to awful in 4 years due to mediocre recruiting and terrible coaching.

All the above is why him coaching up 2012 can be seen as a negative. Who knows what 2012 would have been without #2, but I do know years 4 and 5 are 1000000% Sumlin and will tell us all we need to know.

BTW I am officially predicting 9-3 this season, a good season, hopefully with a bowl W to get to 10. The staff we have is finally very solid and Sumlin gets credit for that. Just as he must take the hits for Spav, 2 bad OL hires, poor RB and LB recruiting overall, etc., etc.
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
I'm beginning to think Les Miles will be our coach next year
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.