Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

College Football Blue Bloods (and the rest ranked)

5,704 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

T 1 Alabama
T 1 Notre Dame
T 1 Ohio State
T 1 Oklahoma
T 1 USC
6 MIchigan
7 Texas
8 Nebraska
9 LSU
10 Penn State

T11 Florida
T11 Georgia
15 Tennessee
16 Auburn
20 Texas A&M
25 Arkansas

31 TCU
T 32 Ole Miss
43 Mississippie State
T 49 Missouri
T 49 South Carolina
56 Texas Tech
T 59 Baylor
62 Kentucky
T 63 Houston
66 SMU
T 73 Rice
79 Vanderbilt
T 101 North Texas
T 101 UTSA
T 101 Texas State
Ragoo
AG
To be honest, horn isn't a blue blood.
rollingwoodaggie
I hate the sips. But they are the 2nd winningest program of all time. But then again a mnc every 30 or so yrs isn't like a blue blood
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I hate the sips. But they are the 2nd winningest program of all time. But then again a mnc every 30 or so yrs isn't like a blue blood

They're pretty good, but certainly a step or more behind those #1 teams for sure.

They've had some real periods of struggle just like LSU, Nebraska and those other programs around them.

Hard to argue though that they're too high. Not many programs below them have much of a strong argument.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Penn st and Nebraska are better over their history. It is laughable horn claims the 1970 mnc. Horn beat up on a bunch of teams in the second half of the list, similar to us but with a significant advantage.
Pretty good list
Bigsteve713
AG
Cancelled
AG
Lol @ notre dame and penn state
12thmanfootball
AG
One of these days the Football Gods will smile on us.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Don't like and don't understand four way ties for first. I can fathom a two way tie for first and a two way tie for second but wouldn't like that either.
TheOC16
AG
quote:
Don't like and don't understand four way ties for first. I can fathom a two way tie for first and a two way tie for second but wouldn't like that either.
Yeah, that is a bit odd. I think it comes because their goal wasn't so much to rank all the teams, but to identify who the "Blue Bloods" are. So rather than putting them in order, they are just evaluating how close the team is to being a blue blood. And five teams were unanimously considered a blue blood by everyone on the panel, resulting in the teams "tied" at the top.

I guess ESPN would have you view it more as a consensus tier 1 rather than a tie.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with where A&M fell. I was afraid we might be ten spots lower.
sellthefarm
AG
SEC - average 30.1, median 22.5
BDF - average 42.2, median 45.5

Honestly I thought the average gap would be greater. Ole Miss and Miss State over-performing recently has really helped the perception of the SEC

The median gap is huge.

Edited to include....

PAC - average 32.1, median 36.0
ACC - average 40.4, median 38.0
BIG - average 36.9, median 34.5

Wow, it's not even close.
wesag
AG
Yet tu is still in the BDF and their season ticket holders get to see those awful games at home.
TheOC16
AG
What is absolutely amazing to me is that the ACC is the only "Power 5" conference without a unanimous Blue Blood, and they don't even have one in the Top Ten! Yet, their average (38.4) is still better than the Big 12!

And I got different results for the ACC than you did, guess I typed something wrong in my spreadsheet. Either that or the two statistics classes I taught failed to teach me how to calculate average...
Windy City Ag
AG
You have to credit a program for its entire body of work and competitiveness over long periods. While the majority of the Horns pedigree took place during the Royal era and early Akers era, it has been a highly ranked program more often than not. Now if Mack Brown never came along and won that title you could start lumping them in with mid-tier programs past their prime.
bigdad
AG
So being a blue blood gets you what, the right to act like a ****** bag?
W
AG
one anomaly...

TCU at #31
Houston at #63

-----
the Cougars were a much, much better program when both were in major conferences
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
one anomaly...

TCU at #31
Houston at #63

-----
the Cougars were a much, much better program when both were in major conferences

Yeah, the list is a little inconsistent. TCU was good from the 1950's and earlier but then pretty much sucked for 50 years until Patterson made them a big fish in a small pond. I don't know that their resume is that much better than UH.

Also, how is ND tied for #1 when they haven't won a title since 1989. All the others have at least 2 in that span if you allow OU from 1988.
Ragoo
AG
it is inconsistent because those polled are biased based on recent success. they may say otherwise but it is hard to really be objective and a human voter.
TxAgswin
AG
A five-way tie for first?

Real ballsy ESPN.
W
AG
my 2 cents worth...

on these all-time lists...I would break them down as...

(1) post-World War II-to-present

and

(2) post-integration/scholarship limitations-to-present

all 3 of the Florida schools would rank considerably higher. And the midwest schools like ND, Michigan, and PSU would be considerably lower
TAM85
seems ok
sleepybeagle
AG
Nebraska was a great program. I doubt they will ever be great again.
TheOC16
AG
quote:

I would love to hear opinions on this: I totally agree. I've always wondered how Oklahoma has maintained success. How do you recruit to the middle of no where? I feel like if they were to suffer a long term drought like Nebraska, they might fall into that same boat. They're really close in this ESPN ranking, and I feel like facilities and a historic and current success record keep them afloat. Also they're closer to Texas and our recruits than Nebraska, so I guess that helps. Just amazed that kids go to Lincoln and Norman.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
my 2 cents worth...

on these all-time lists...I would break them down as...

(1) post-World War II-to-present

and

(2) post-integration/scholarship limitations-to-present

all 3 of the Florida schools would rank considerably higher. And the midwest schools like ND, Michigan, and PSU would be considerably lower
vt, Boise, Oregon would be higher too
AustinAg2K
quote:
quote:

I would love to hear opinions on this: I totally agree. I've always wondered how Oklahoma has maintained success. How do you recruit to the middle of no where? I feel like if they were to suffer a long term drought like Nebraska, they might fall into that same boat. They're really close in this ESPN ranking, and I feel like facilities and a historic and current success record keep them afloat. Also they're closer to Texas and our recruits than Nebraska, so I guess that helps. Just amazed that kids go to Lincoln and Norman.
Oklahoma made a great coaching hire. That's how they've maintained their success. There was a gap after Switzer and before Stoops where they sucked pretty bad. I wouldn't count Nebraska out. The #1 thing recruits care about is winning games. If Nebraska makes a good HC hire again, they could be a force. They'll have plenty of money in the Big 10, so they should be able to keep up with facilities. They just need to find the right guy again.
sellthefarm
AG
Nebraska made a great moving to the big 10. No way they could compete against Texas schools for southern recruits. They'll right the ship and start pulling in Midwest recruits before too long.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
Clemson and Mich St ahead of Texas A&M?!?

ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
quote:

Yea, we prefer a MNC every 80-100 years.... I hate them more than almost anything - I would root for ISIS over tu.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Nebraska made a great moving to the big 10. No way they could compete against Texas schools for southern recruits. They'll right the ship and start pulling in Midwest recruits before too long.
Osborne made tremendous hay with partial qualifiers. So did Switzer, for that matter. Once those partial qualifiers were no longer acceptable, the decline was slow, but unmistakeable.

OU managed to keep recruiting up in the DFW metro area. Nebbie didn't and it showed.

Lincoln is just a hard place to get to, with few recruiting grounds nearby. Now, could a really good coaching hire change that? Sure. But they are still in the Pelini-hangover phase.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.