Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Noel Mazzone

8,616 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MondayMorningQB
Tommyboy26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry if this topic has been discussed at length, but what can we realistically expect from our new OC? drastic change in play calling, or entirely new offensive scheme?

just read his bio, seems like he either a) gets a lot out of his QB's, or b) has been fortunate enough to work with great QB's. (or both)

I'll hang up and listen.
Post removed:
by user
hunter2012
AG
We'll run that play that scores touchdowns more than Spav ever did.
Amazing Moves
TE position will be used. We will run the ball more. More of a vertical passing game that uses the whold field. Veteran decision making. Tempo used but, slowed down when needed.
Uncle Jimbo
quote:
TE position will be used. We will run the ball more. More of a vertical passing game that uses the whold field. Veteran decision making. Tempo used but, slowed down when needed.

Someone believes everything they read in preseason practice reports.
Obejuan03
AG
Hopefully more bubble screens.
RDV-1992
I think that we will see lots of short passes to the sideline and bubble screens to force defenses to play closer to the line of scrimmage and pull them out of the box. And then we'll run the ball between the tackles. And repeat, with the occasional vertical pass thrown in. This offense won't change as much from last year as people are hoping.

But hopefully with an experienced play caller and with more of an emphasis on the run we will perform better.
marriedtoanag2013
I never thought that Spav had a good feel for the game. His head was always down looking at his index cards. He would get rattle at times and only stick to 3-4 plays even if they never worked or never step up the big play. What makes a good OC I think is knowing when to call a play at a specific time. Mazzone has been around for a long time so his experience of calling plays should translate to better play calls on Saturday.
class12of
AG
Closer to 2012 tempo.

And no note cards.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
This offense won't change as much from last year as people are hoping.

If we don't see numerous play action passes on 3rd and 15 like last year then I will be delighted.
Chavis Sweet Stache
AG
I don't know what kind of respect Spav had in the locker room, but I can't imagine Mazzone taking any s*** from anyone, except for maybe Chavis.

Pretty confident he's not going to placate to egos. He seems like a, "Get out there and freaking hit somebody," kind of guy which is what our offense seems to have needed for a while.

Then again, I'm just a guy posting on a football board as if I know anything.
The Collective
AG
Is Mazzone a booth or sideline coach? I don't have an opinion on it, just curious where he likes to be.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
I never thought that Spav had a good feel for the game. His head was always down looking at his index cards. He would get rattle at times and only stick to 3-4 plays even if they never worked or never step up the big play. What makes a good OC I think is knowing when to call a play at a specific time. Mazzone has been around for a long time so his experience of calling plays should translate to better play calls on Saturday.
This is the biggest difference between Spav and Mazzone. The experience of Mazzone should lead to us playing better situational football.
PFlat
AG
quote:
Is Mazzone a booth or sideline coach? I don't have an opinion on it, just curious where he likes to be.
hmm that's a good question. this article I found seems to indicate he normally calls plays from the sideline:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-notes-20151227-story.html

"Mazzone typically leads the offense from the field, but he coached from the booth Saturday." (after his health issue)
Spicewood Ag
AG
UCLA fan at work says his greatest criticism was being predictable at times. He did offer that any negativity from the UCLA fan base was obligatorily placed on Mazzone as he was the guy who was leaving

and I believe him

I'm excited about the level of experience we have at both coordinator positions this year
_mpaul
AG
quote:
UCLA fan at work says his greatest criticism was being predictable at times.
When offenses don't work like fans think they should, the default fan excuse is "predictability" and "lack of imagination / creativity." Bama's pretty damn predictable and they do OK.
Tomdoss92
AG
Smoke

Draw
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
quote:
UCLA fan at work says his greatest criticism was being predictable at times.
When offenses don't work like fans think they should, the default fan excuse is "predictability" and "lack of imagination / creativity." Bama's pretty damn predictable and they do OK.
i got this secret picture of some Bama/Ok state workouts that might explain it.

Amazing Moves
quote:
quote:

Someone believes everything they read in preseason practice reports.
Actually, I observed his offenses at Arizona St. and UCLA. I watch a lot of college football. I don't need the updates to know how A&M or other team's schemes will play out on the field. I do my own research. I'm just a football nerd. I'm also pretty good against the spread.

I think the offense has a great chance to avg. 440-470 a game. The offensive line is a big question mark that can't afford injuries. I expect a quick passing game that will set up running plays because of this. Also quite a few passes out of the backfield.
Lungblood
Noel Mazzone pisses excellence, rehydrates, and does it again. 2 shakes and 1 tap.... Game over
technoviking
AG
I see what you did there
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Oodles of bubble screens, except we will also run bubble screens.
I already have a dog
AG
Runs Triple I, two tight ends. Will send one of the fullbacks wide on occasion on long yardage. Uses quick kicks to flip field position.
runontexas
AG
The coach has a knack for the game. Something you can't teach. He's the essence of football bro.
Amazing Moves
I think he's a decent coordinator. Not great. In some cases he slows the game at the wrong times. Like a bit to early. The trade off is that Mazzone will slow it with a 28 point lead with an effective running game. To run clock.

He'll make the decision to call a quick pass when they're running the ball down an opponents throat. Which can be nerve-racking. Not near as much as Spav though. He's been around for awhile so you'll see a more traditional offense out of a spread system..

When somethings not working he won't look down at his index cards with confusion. He'll likely adjust with conservative spread tactics. Like pounding it with the rb out of the zone read to set up the play action fake over the middle. You won't see the innovative spread calls like Clemson's.

He runs a conservative spread system.
chase128
AG
quote:
I don't know what kind of respect Spav had in the locker room, but I can't imagine Mazzone taking any s*** from anyone, except for maybe Chavis.

Pretty confident he's not going to placate to egos. He seems like a, "Get out there and freaking hit somebody," kind of guy which is what our offense seems to have needed for a while.

Spav and DC hated each other. Several of the other offensive coaches didn't like Spav either
I already have a dog
AG
quote:
quote:

Spav and DC hated each other. Several of the other offensive coaches didn't like Spav either

So literally everyone hated Spav? What about his Mom and Jesus? Pretty sure they did too just confirming.
eATMup-Reveille
quote:
Uses quick kicks to flip field position.

Had the displeasure of watching Craig James do that to us which basically sealed the game. Heck, it might have been the saber pulling game.
swc93
AG
I heard he has 5 plays total.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
You are gona get high paced. But you are gona get a lot of "annoying predictable " plays too. Lots of short throws depending on the reciever to break open and get yards after catch and frankly I have my doubts on whether that style can do well in today's SEC.
Texags is garbage
I'm hopeful as long he doesn't do a notecard shuffle when the offense should be going uptempo.
mcag83
AG
quote:
I heard he has 5 plays total.

Rejoice....the wishbone is back.
GreatSullysGhost
I hear that he makes a mean cuppa joe, puts hair on your chest.
ag_hoop
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.