Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Freshman impact players...

5,573 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigblackag12
jturner181
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm hearing a lot of chatter about Dodson... fast, big LB who is impressing...

Anyone else jumping out?

Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Trayveon
Here4Beer
AG
Billy has mentioned Aaron Hansford as someone who's also made some noise this fall camp. I'd expect to see him get some reps this year.
ahlongslide
AG
We really need Dodson to live up to the hype.

CrazyDayDuck
Heard that Colton Prater is pressing for a starting spot at Guard.

I think our O Line is going to be a lot better than many of us thought it would be at this time.
TxAg76
AG
Can't wait til the program gets to the point where we aren't looking for freshmen to make impacts.

Hopefully we'll get to a point where freshmen are rarely playing meaningful minutes.
(outside of the Garrett-type phenoms, of course)
Aggielandma12
AG
we've been saying this for the last 4 years..
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
we've been saying this for the last 30 years..

FIFY
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Can't wait til the program gets to the point where we aren't looking for freshmen to make impacts.

Hopefully we'll get to a point where freshmen are rarely playing meaningful minutes.

You're hope isnt really a possibility anymore. We don't recruit at the level of a Bama or tOSU. They can afford to let elite players sit and learn. We have to put them on the field as soon as possible. And that trend won't change anytime soon. We have had a freshman (or a 5th yr transfer) start every year at QB (except 2013) in Sumlin's tenure. Recruiting just isn't where it needs to be across the board to not have impact players as freshmen.
FishingAggie
quote:
quote:

You're hope isnt really a possibility anymore. We don't recruit at the level of a Bama or tOSU. They can afford to let elite players sit and learn. We have to put them on the field as soon as possible. And that trend won't change anytime soon. We have had a freshman (or a 5th yr transfer) start every year at QB (except 2013) in Sumlin's tenure. Recruiting just isn't where it needs to be across the board to not have impact players as freshmen.

I respectfully disagree. Look at qb situation at osu.

Freshman rb's are normal. Easy position to plug in on a team. I think more freshman will play at certain positions as they always have

Lots of skill positions leave for the draft early if able and many of those are easy to replace as they don't mature as much as offensive/defensive lineman.

Lineman at 18 is a lot different than lineman at 22. They need time. We'll get there. Sumlin is still learning the CEO position. I hope he's on the right track. New hires are positive. Let's see how this year plays out.
E.KingTrill
quote:
quote:
Sumlin is still learning the CEO position.

We've been paying this man $5 million / year to LEARN the CEO role??
FishingAggie
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well he's either learning and getting better or this is prime time. Take your pick

I think his learning curve is getting better. Just an opinion that doesn't matter.
jja79
AG
quote:

I think our O Line is going to be a lot better than many of us thought it would be at this time.

What is your basis?
Post removed:
by user
jja79
AG
Don't disagree with that point, but it's August. Texags is famous for overrating various units in August.
ntxVol
quote:
quote:
quote:

I respectfully disagree. Look at qb situation at osu.

Freshman rb's are normal. Easy position to plug in on a team. I think more freshman will play at certain positions as they always have

Lots of skill positions leave for the draft early if able and many of those are easy to replace as they don't mature as much as offensive/defensive lineman.

Lineman at 18 is a lot different than lineman at 22. They need time. We'll get there. Sumlin is still learning the CEO position. I hope he's on the right track. New hires are positive. Let's see how this year plays out.
FYI, we had a freshman MLB last year that played in all 13 games and started 10. He is a budding star but he was also an EE, might be tougher for someone who was not an EE I think.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/darrin_kirkland_jr_944553.html

I was concerned about having a freshman at that position but I guess you just never know.

Interesting note for those who follow recruiting, Jones snagged this kid while Cecil Cherry was visiting tu. Cherry became part of the "Florida 5" but Jones would have stuck with Cherry had he not started looking around. Turned out to be a big win for us.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

some of the most successful companies put their employees in advanced positions not because they are already proficient in that role but because they want to give them the opportunity to learn it.

This is why I continue to laugh at people who compare being a head coach to some role in the corporate world. There are very few parallels.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Don't disagree with that point, but it's August. Texags is famous for overrating various units in August.
every fanbase over rates in august.
FishingAggie
Sooo you're saying you've been a head coach?

I disagree with you. I think both positions have many parallels. Both positions are not "hands on". They look at results. See where to improve. Managers (assistant coaches). Employees (players). I've seen many parallels drawn between the two and read countless articles comparing sports and business. Actually, there's a lot of reading material comparing the two. Google it.

The team is actually a small company. The school handles the advertising/marketing and sales.

All Sumlin does is operations. I guess he has it a little easier than the ceo of Exxon. Point is, he had to be a good manager of his managers to succeed. Motivate players and hire new recruits.

jmo
Thisguy1
quote:

We are looking for the best 11 players to be on the field at a certain period of time. If that means we sign a stud, then he's going to play (Garrett, Kirk, Mack to name the most recent ones). This is the first year in a long time we don't NEED a freshman to play anywhere. Dodson has just been that solid.

That being said, I still don't know that he's in the starting rotation right now. However, I think he will be by the end of the season.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Sooo you're saying you've been a head coach?

I disagree with you. I think both positions have many parallels. Both positions are not "hands on". They look at results. See where to improve. Managers (assistant coaches). Employees (players). I've seen many parallels drawn between the two and read countless articles comparing sports and business. Actually, there's a lot of reading material comparing the two. Google it.

The team is actually a small company. The school handles the advertising/marketing and sales.

All Sumlin does is operations. I guess he has it a little easier than the ceo of Exxon. Point is, he had to be a good manager of his managers to succeed. Motivate players and hire new recruits.

jmo
no way sumlin handles the operations. The AD does that. Sumlin manages his team that is it. He is like the sales manager. As long as his product produces an acceptable level of revenue he meets his metrics, business speaking. Obviously, he should only care about winning football games and not care one bit about revenue.
TxAg76
AG
quote:
quote:

Never said we were there. We're not. Obviously.

Never said we'd get there quickly. We won't. Its not an overnight change, despite the microwave society preferences.
But we're closer now than we've been in a long time, in terms of having both talent plus depth. Still work to do though.

I just said I'm looking forward to that day. And that hopefully we'll get there.
TxAg76
AG
quote:

We are looking for the best 11 players to be on the field at a certain period of time. If that means we sign a stud, then he's going to play (Garrett, Kirk, Mack to name the most recent ones).

Agree. Said that. The phenoms part.
FishingAggie
Sales manager. Maybe when recruiting. He actually performs many duties.

You stated there were no parallels between coaching and running a company. "It made you laugh."

Google it like I said. Many, many parallels.

Metrics lol. Wasn't even a business term not so long ago. Only mathematicians used it.

You admit he's a sales manager which dismisses your first point of no parallels altogether which was the original difference of opinion.

I don't believe Sumlin could run a company any more than I believe a ceo could coach ( Jerry jones).

CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is your basis?
We fired an idiot and hired a real oline coach

That is the biggest key to our success. No doubt. Jim Turner is the best O Line coach in college football.

However, we also have more depth and more talent at O Line than people realize. We just need our guys like McCoy, Martin, Sutherland and Lanfear to get some experience. Having Turner should expedite the learning process.
TAM85
Here's to 3 new guys in the middle of the OL!
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

When you recruit freshman that are talented its hard to keep them off the field. Saban is flirting with starting a fish qb, and had a fish at LT the same year garret was a fish. Freshmen starting happens everywhere. Were at the point this year where we can redshirt fish at certain positions. We have plans to redshirt other freshmen..but the talented ones will play. Kirk would start for any team as a fish. Trayveon is said to be similarly talented as a big play gamebreaker type, so no doubt he'll factor in as a fish. 3 or 4 years ago dodson starts immediately at lb. Now not so much, even though hes a grown ass man in an 18 year old body pushing for 2 deep reps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.