Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kary Vincent to LSU

11,975 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FtBendTxAg
ryanworldleader
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a surprise. Dont think we were ever recruiting him too hard. Still sucks to see top talent leaving the state
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Makes the SEC better and the Big 12 worse.
merc
AG
We should be used to the top corner backs leaving the state by now.
AggieCVQ
quote:

Cheering for a conference
LSU Baseball Fan
Wow. Our recruiters doing some serious work in the Houston area this year. More depth never hurts. Impossible to go through the SEC without injuries.
Gilbert McGee
AG
And his dad played for us back in the day... On top of lsu already having an overload of corners. I don't get it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

Sure. Look at the big picture. If the SEC keeps tapping into the main source of Big 12 talent, it diminishes their talent pool. We will always recruit Texas the best in the SEC regardless of how good we are, so when the Big 12 implodes, that sets us up the best. SEC schools taking top talent away from Texas, TCU, Etc only hastens the implosion.
aggiedent
AG
Before somebody starts to cry, you might want to remember that we have 6 4 star (Harvey, Ellis, Oliver, Chattman, Elam, and Fuller) corners on the roster and 1 5 star (Willis).
Spyderman
AG
Class of 65
AG
Not true
He was ignored by our coaches until late spring of this year
libertyag
AG
Maybe he just likes corn dogs and people with a lot of missing teeth.
Ag CPA
AG
quote:
So when he is whipping our ass in a couple years will that help you sleep at night?
LSU Baseball Fan
Or maybe he likes his chances of going pro by going to the program that has been the best at producing NFL-ready defensive backs for the past 13 years. We are called "DBU" by football analysts for a reason.

Corey Webster, Morris Claiborne, Tryann Mathieu, Tharald Simon, Patrick Peterson, Eric Reid, and many others. Not even Alabama under Saban matches our reputation for recruiting and developing top-class defensive backs.
Indignitas
AG
quote:
Or maybe he likes his chances of going pro by going to the program that has been the best at producing NFL-ready defensive backs for the past 13 years. We are called "DBU" by football analysts for a reason.
You're right. I don't know who your defensive coordinator is, but he must be as good as they come. (sigh) If only we could get a DC that good one day...
Habanero Guero
AG
Why would any recruit with potential pick A&M over LSU for any football related reason?
JimbloFisher
AG
quote:
quote:
You're right. I don't know who your defensive coordinator is, but he must be as good as they come. (sigh) If only we could get a DC that good one day...

Surprised he set himself up like that without so much as a qualifier
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Once we are the only team in Texas that is in a Power 5 conference that doesn't start their prime time game at 930, yes.
scapps
AG
quote:
Why would any recruit with potential pick A&M over LSU for any football related reason?
Literally one of the dumbest things I've read in recent memory.
Habanero Guero
AG
Outside of playing time how are we more attractive to a recruit than LSU?
JimbloFisher
AG
swag
LSU Baseball Fan
Chavis was a solid DC for us, really good at stopping the run, but as soon as it was Third and Chavis prevent mode, we all knew we'd end up losing as the opposition marched down again to beat us with a last-second drive. Happened time and time again, and you'll experience the Chavis frustrations soon if you haven't already.

Our new DC will likely be even better than Chavis. He led Wisconsin to having one of the best defenses in the country, despite having mostly only 3-star players to work with. Now he inherits an LSU defense loaded with experienced 4 and 5 star talent at every position. It should be a 2011 level good defense this year.

The Chavis move worked out great for us in the end. Lose a coach that doesn't want to be there anymore, then the next year send your crappy DC to Auburn and end up with one of the best young assistant coaches out there right now. I'm happy with that.

Hope y'all enjoy Chavis. He's good, but I think you'll eventually tire of him, as we did.
Mateo84
AG
quote:
Chavis was a solid DC for us, really good at stopping the run, but as soon as it was Third and Chavis prevent mode, we all knew we'd end up losing as the opposition marched down again to beat us with a last-second drive. Happened time and time again, and you'll experience the Chavis frustrations soon if you haven't already.

Our new DC will likely be even better than Chavis. He led Wisconsin to having one of the best defenses in the country, despite having mostly only 3-star players to work with. Now he inherits an LSU defense loaded with experienced 4 and 5 star talent at every position. It should be a 2011 level good defense this year.

The Chavis move worked out great for us in the end. Lose a coach that doesn't want to be there anymore, then the next year send your crappy DC to Auburn and end up with one of the best young assistant coaches out there right now. I'm happy with that.

Hope y'all enjoy Chavis. He's good, but I think you'll eventually tire of him, as we did.

I typically respect and agree with most of your posts, but this isn't one of them. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
scapps
AG
First you question why any recruit would pick A&M over LSU, then your next response includes a valid (although playing time wouldn't be my first response) reason to do so. It's okay, I sometimes think out loud to get answers as well.
AggieCVQ
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure. Look at the big picture. If the SEC keeps tapping into the main source of Big 12 talent, it diminishes their talent pool. We will always recruit Texas the best in the SEC regardless of how good we are, so when the Big 12 implodes, that sets us up the best. SEC schools taking top talent away from Texas, TCU, Etc only hastens the implosion.

We play against those teams dude. Them having better talent is not a good thing. If they were going to the PAC or B1G, yo I'm all for it. But they're going to our direct competition.
fieldtrailer
AG
quote:

Corey Webster, Morris Claiborne, Tryann Mathieu, Tharald Simon, Patrick Peterson, Eric Reid, and many others. Not even Alabama under Saban matches our reputation for recruiting and developing top-class defensive backs.

Wern't those kids coached by Chavis?
hunter2012
AG
quote:

The motto holds true a year later.
quote:
I'd take 3rd and Chavis over 1st and Snyder every day of the week.

If our offense scores enough points to merit a 3rd and Chavis situation I will be so happy.
La Bamba
AG
Typical LSU fan. Low sports IQ. Chavis was good but not great, we're actually better now blah blah blah.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
And we still get more of them than every other SEC team combined even with out ****ty performance the past two years. When the Big 12 dies, Texas and Ou will most likely go to the Pac, the Big 10 might grab one team from Texas and then Kstate, and the rest get relegated to the Mountain West or other also-ran conferences. That means instead of 6 teams able to recruit heavily in Texas (Texas, TCU, Baylor, OU, OSU, Tech) that number goes down to 3-4, with most of those teams now playing in the Pac, who plays tons of games at 9:30 at night here in Texas. That's good for our recruiting any way you slice it.
AggieCVQ
I don't think TCU, Baylor, Texas, or Tech are gonna go away. I hope it, but I doubt it. Texas will always be there.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:

Wern't those kids coached by Chavis?

Chavis certainly deserves a lot of credit for helping to develop many of those players, along with our DB coaches who work directly with them every practice. But any LSU fan who is honest with himself will say that Nick Saban is responsible not only for the current state of the LSU program, but also our tradition of developing defensive backs. That all started with the 2003 title team. He laid the foundation that Chavis and other coaches continued while at LSU.

And you can claim I'm being sour grapes all you want, I'm just giving you my honest opinion of Chavis. All LSU fans loved him the first season, when the defense was awesome.

But starting in 2012 we noticed he had a habit of becoming way too conservative late in the game when we were protecting a lead, deviating from defensive schemes that had stopped the opposition all half. Most notably the collapse against Bama in 2012 that cost us a chance at the title. Then the inexplicable loss to Clemson in the bowl game where we let them convert a 4th and 16 en route to kicking a winning field goal. Then in 2013, our defense did the same thing to lose to Ole Miss and Georgia, costing us any chance at the SEC title. Then the same thing again against Bama in 2014. It was maddening to see us lose so many important games by making the same mistake and playing it safe on the last drive only to get burned time and time again.

Chavis is one of the best DCs out there, but he has his strengths and weaknesses like any other coach. You'll see that, as we did, in time, once his mistakes start costing you some big games.

Once it's clear a coach wants to leave, keeping him around is damaging to the chemistry and morale of the team. He was very close to getting a ring with us, and I wish him nothing but the best, except when he plays us.

But now that we have Dave Aranda, I'm very excited about the long term prospect of our defense. While he doesn't have the experience of Chavis, he is widely considered to be one of the best young coaches out there. He has proven success with average players. Now he has LSU players to work with. Les Miles wanted Aranda originally when Chavis left, and luckily Wisconsin's AD is too cheap to give their coaches decent money so we swooped in when Auburn stupidly paid us to get rid of Steele.
LSU Baseball Fan
A "Third and Chavis" scenario can happen with any score, it doesn't necessarily mean your offense has scored a lot.

Hell, the two Alabama losses are probably the best examples of Third and Chavis failures, and both of those were relatively low-scoring games. '12 game was 17-14 LSU headed into the last drive and the '14 game was 13-10 LSU before Bama's game-tying drive. In both games, Chavis inexplicably changed schemes on the last drive and Bama marched down with little problem to score when we'd shut them down all half. It was so frustrating.
Flexbone
I love the revisionist history of LSU fans when it comes to Chavis. The guy JUST pointed to the 2011 defense that Chavis built...but now he sucks because of a few games where their offense...as usual...sucked.

Didn't Aranda give up 70 points in the Big 10 title game?
Texas Tea
AG
quote:
Typical LSU fan. Low sports IQ. Chavis was good but not great, we're actually better now blah blah blah.
PeekingDuck
AG
I absolutely love that LSU fires coaches for keeping them in close games with the best program in America. Brilliant move, Tigers.
OldMetryAg
If Les thought Aranda was better than Steele, why didn't he hire him after Chavis, they both interviewed for DC vacancy during that period?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.