Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cal and Hawaii to play in Australia

4,475 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
12thmanfootball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why can't we schedule a game in Sydney, pure genius!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/17022139/good-bad-really-scheduled-that

CentexAg
AG
k
JaxDad
AG
Do the players get any frequent flier miles?
deadbq03
AG
Hundreds of people are gonna be there.
dude95
AG
I was in Sydney when the Broncos and Chargers played a preseason game there. Probably 30k people in a stadium built for 100k (right after the Olympics). Was the most expensive sporting event that had been there in years - in a sport that most Aussies don't care about. Hope they think this one through a bit better.
njohn87
AG
We should play Army in Qatar in one of those dope, slave labor built World Cup stadiums they're building.
twk
AG
quote:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/17022139/good-bad-really-scheduled-that

Because we're not dumb enough to schedule a game that requires 20+ hours in the air each way for travel?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I don't know....sounds great but when you are playing Hawaii....why not HAWAII

We played Hawaii for the season opener in1990 in Honolulu - I was there. Best road trip ever. We went a week ahead of time and did other islands then came back to Oahu the day before the game.

ClassOf17
But I thought Baylor couldn't find anyone to go down under with them?!
MouthBQ98
AG
Aussies love sports. Lots of them may come out to see what American football is about.
CentexAg
AG
They must have bathrooms for the transvestites.
Snap E Tom
quote:

We played Hawaii for the season opener in1990 in Honolulu - I was there. Best road trip ever. We went a week ahead of time and did other islands then came back to Oahu the day before the game.

Hah. I had a friend who played baseball at a WAC school when Hawaii was in the WAC. The whole team hated going to Hawaii. The travel was the longest they had to do the whole season. Second, he said everyone at the hotel knows why you're there, and you're playing against the local team, so they do everything to distract you - free luas, piled on booze, etc - all in the guise of Hawaiian hospitality. It was also the only stadium that they played in that had astroturf due to the rainy weather. Finally, and worst of all, the WAC couldn't afford to send umps and crew multiple times a season, so the vast majority of them were local and probably went to UH. You can imagine it was sorta like A&M playing tu, but worse.
Speedystooth
AG
Bound to net some kickers.
Red Skye
AG
quote:

And this is why this forum continues to be the piece of **** that it is.
Speedystooth
AG
quote:
quote:

I chuckled. Gender neutral is the correct nomenclature dude..
Nick Toohey
AG
quote:
I was in Sydney when the Broncos and Chargers played a preseason game there. Probably 30k people in a stadium built for 100k (right after the Olympics). Was the most expensive sporting event that had been there in years - in a sport that most Aussies don't care about. Hope they think this one through a bit better.
American football has grown immensely since then. American sports in general have blown up here. I'd be surprised if they did not get a good turnout. In a college football point of view, back then there was not a thing on TV. No ESPN here etc....now we have anywhere from 3-6 games on a Sunday morning plus mid week stuff.

Said stadium now sits 80 000 so won't look as silly if half full....Nothing a couple of Baylor tarps can't fix!
AGinHI
AG
quote:
American football has grown immensely since then. American sports in general have blown up here. I'd be surprised if they did not get a good turnout.

All of our Aussie friends tell us compared to footy, American football is slow and boring.
West Point Aggie
AG
Will anyone in the US, care or even know it happened!?!
MsDoubleD81
AG
quote:

We can't even draw a crowd at a bowl game in Atlanta!!!
Yell Practice
Lot of Travel for one football game.
Chips2003
AG
quote:
quote:

What about his comment makes the forum ****ty?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Hah. I had a friend who played baseball at a WAC school when Hawaii was in the WAC. The whole team hated going to Hawaii. The travel was the longest they had to do the whole season. Second, he said everyone at the hotel knows why you're there, and you're playing against the local team, so they do everything to distract you - free luas, piled on booze, etc - all in the guise of Hawaiian hospitality. It was also the only stadium that they played in that had astroturf due to the rainy weather. Finally, and worst of all, the WAC couldn't afford to send umps and crew multiple times a season, so the vast majority of them were local and probably went to UH. You can imagine it was sorta like A&M playing tu, but worse.

i meant best for fans....not the team. yeah keeping focus is hard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.