Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Messing with LSU's mojo...

8,514 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BMCaginLTX
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously the last few years against the Tigers have not gone so well. Here's an interesting thought: what if we were to wear white at home? Force LSU to wear their dreaded purple jerseys? Could this possibly break the cycle?

Of course, playing sound football and not making mistakes does wonders too!
gdjudge19
I think we just need to not wear a non-traditional uni! Went from all maroon to gray to all maroon to black... Stick to the maroon and white pants for this one... and stick to the maroon helmets.
LSU was still offsides
BBQ4Me
AG
Can we mess with A&M's rojo?
Capt. America
AG

It could work.
MD20/20
AG
You sound like an old school Cowboys fan. Those old blue jerseys were a jinx every time. I think Schramm even had the color of blue changed sometime back in the 70's to get rid of the "curse" talk.
Capt. America
AG
quote:
The tradition started in 1958, when Coach Paul Dietzel decided that LSU would wear white jerseys for the home games. LSU went on to win the national championship that year. Since then, LSU continued to wear white jerseys at home games through the 18-year tenure of Charles McClendon. Then in 1983, new NCAA rules prohibited teams from wearing white jerseys at home. Because of this, LSU wore purple jerseys during home games from 1983 to 1994. The team's fans believed wearing purple jerseys were "bad luck" and often complained about being forced to wear purple jerseys at home although LSU won SEC championships in 1986 and 1988 wearing purple at home. In 1993, then-coach Curley Hallman asked the NCAA for permission to wear white jerseys at home during LSU's football centennial, but was turned down.

In 1995, LSU's new coach, Gerry DiNardo, was determined to restore LSU's tradition of white home jerseys. DiNardo personally met with each member of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, lobbying LSU's case. DiNardo was successful, and LSU again began wearing white jerseys at home when the 1995 season began. In LSU's first home game with the white jerseys, unranked LSU prevailed in a 126 upset victory over #6 Auburn
From wikipedia on why they wear white at home.
agnerd
AG
Yep, that's our problem. The color of our jersey...
Capt. America
AG
Just an observation...

Mucho austin
AG
quote:

these were just terrible.
Agsncws
AG
Definitely ok with it. Just a little gamesmanship in a rivalry game.
Hot Boudin
Teams have done this in the past without much success. Also at one point the visitor had to agree to let us wear our white jerseys at home and occasionally one would refuse.

Personally, I like our purple jerseys, and we typically only see them a couple times a year, so seeing them another time would be nice. It doesn't really matter to me if Fournette steam rolls an Aggie defender wearing purple or white, as long as he does it.
CampingAg
AG
I'm still mad that the 2011 game was at 11am.
Brick Tamland
quote:
I'm still mad that the 2011 game was at 11am.
...The year we played them in 2011 was technically the bowl game from the 2010 season and that was played at night at Jerry World.

I know you meant 2012.
LSU Baseball Fan
Historically, teams forcing LSU to wear alternate jerseys on the road hasn't worked very well. I remember in 2007 Mississippi State tried that to end their tremendous losing streak against us. We stomped them 45-0 in Starkville. Likewise, in 1996 Vandy forced us to wear gold jerseys (one of only 3 times we've ever done so) and we won 35-0.

I love our purple jerseys, for what it's worth. Makes us look a lot like the Packers, which was Coach Dietzel's idea. We traditionally only wear purple for non-SEC home games, excluding the home opener, so that's usually 2 or so games a year.

I love our traditional uniform of gold helmets, white jerseys, and gold pants the most. They're simple, classic, and iconic. You see them and know it's LSU even from far away.

But the purple alternates are nice too.

I also like the rare appearance of white pants and helmets.

Opponents forced us to wear these gold uniforms for 3 games during the mid-90s.

We've heard rumors about bringing the gold jerseys back for years. I wouldn't mind that as a once-a-year thing if they looked like these.

You'll NEVER see LSU wear purple helmets or pants, though. It looks awful, and we lost the one time we tried that.

I like the all-white and all-maroon look for A&M since y'all joined the SEC. The black and dark grey uniforms y'all have worn against us don't look too bad, but I'm not a fan of departing from traditional school colors, and I know y'all aren't either. Fans here would riot in the streets if LSU ever did a black-out uniform. That would look like garbage.
Tursiops93
AG
Can we wear Bama jerseys? That might work.
texancanuck11
It couldn't hurt, right?
Capt. America
AG
Barring my cruddy photoshop skills, but this is exactly what needs to happen. Keep it simple stupid.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
Can we wear Bama jerseys? That might work.
LOL, yeah. All of our opponents would be wise to wear crimson jerseys when they play us. We can't seem to figure that conundrum out. Maybe this year... I can dream.
JustisWalkert
AG
Wear camo uniforms and operate under a cloak of invisibility.
fredfredunderscorefred
We change and worry about uniforms like a girl getting ready for dinner under the guise of "the recruits like this stuff" then have to worry about prima Donna recruits

Find a uniform. Stick to it. Win
Ag Tag
The colors of the uniforms determine the outcome of the games.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
The colors of the uniforms determine the outcome of the games.

They don't directly, but in my experience as a coach it does give the players a bit of a psychological boost playing in a consistently successful uniform. In 2008, a very average LSU baseball team on track to miss the postseason went on a crazy 23 game win streak wearing gold jerseys every game.

LSU has a great home record in white jerseys, which is why we keep that tradition when 99% of teams wear dark jerseys at home.
Capt. America
AG
My Ideal Home:

Ideal Away:

Also cool with these two:

BMCaginLTX
Damn, that storm trooper look is clean. Wish we would see that more
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.