Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Conference realignment

16,524 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Al Bula
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard Tulane and Colorado State...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Just as likely to be Gudger College and Girl Scout troop 417.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Houston has been contacted by the Pac12 and the BDF just voted to explore expansion candidates. I'd say we are well on our way toward 4 super-conferences by 2020. I welcome it actually.

Next thing we need is an 8 team playoff system. Cut one OOC warmup game from everyone's schedule, and boom, expanded playoff system.
whatthehey78
AG
That would make for some real gameday excitement. Easily draw a gazillion avid fans to Austin for the annual tu vs ______ grudge match. Make it happen...ONLY way to save the BDF from oblivion.
riverrataggie
AG
If this happens bdf should never get two teams.
Bone6
Man, I wouldn't mind another power 5 school like Tulane in the state of Louisiana.

LSU would still dominate the state's recruiting, but if every so often Tulane convinced some New Orleans talent to stay at home rather than go to Baton Rouge just enough to hurt LSU a bit it could be a really good thing for us.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Houston has been contacted by the Pac12 and the BDF just voted to explore expansion candidates. I'd say we are well on our way toward 4 super-conferences by 2020. I welcome it actually.

Next thing we need is an 8 team playoff system. Cut one OOC warmup game from everyone's schedule, and boom, expanded playoff system.
Not happening. The money isn't there. CCG as the "first round" of playoffs will be de facto, not de jure. The networks already pay a certain amount for those games under long term contracts. They won't agree to changing that for another ten years, at least.

Plus there is the re-match problem.
West Point Aggie
AG
What is the Dud of West Virginia and Chimp Brownstain sayin? ...so I can think exactly the opposite!?
merc
AG
I still think sips and sooners are just biding their time until they can bounce. I would be shocked if the other texas schools voted to let UH in. Does them no good market wise and only hurts their recruiting. They'll snag four other trash schools.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Man, I wouldn't mind another power 5 school like Tulane in the state of Louisiana.

LSU would still dominate the state's recruiting, but if every so often Tulane convinced some New Orleans talent to stay at home rather than go to Baton Rouge just enough to hurt LSU a bit it could be a really good thing for us.
They've won 33 games in the past 10 years... ain't nobody staying home for that.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tulane chicks are hot.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Tulane chicks are hot.

Mazel Tov
marble rye
AG
Wish they would kick Baylor out and take BYU. The meltdown would be sweet.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
quote:

Agree. Tulane leaving the SEC was one factor in LSU becoming who they are today. Making them work a little harder in state would be good for us overall.

Barry Potter 09
Interesting rumors spreading around

Here is an article that goes along with the Tweet. Sounds like Colorado, and possibly Nebraska, since Synder and Osborne may have more respect for each other than some imagined.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

Here is an article that goes along with the Tweet. Sounds like Colorado, and possibly Nebraska, since Synder and Osborne may have more respect for each other than some imagined.
LOL. Not a chance in hell. Snyder may talk to coaches, but doubt he's hobnobbing with the BOR members and Presidents of other universities.

Expressing sadness that the Big XII didn't work is not the same as wanting to rejoin a s*** hole conference.
JW
AG
Tulane seems like a smart choice
Barry Potter 09
Yes, it doesn't sound like Snyder to make a statement like that, knowing his past, but with the way things are going for both Nebraska and Colorado in their new conferences, and the way these rumors are coming up, we can never say never about certain things. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
quote:
quote:

Not happening. The money isn't there. CCG as the "first round" of playoffs will be de facto, not de jure. The networks already pay a certain amount for those games under long term contracts. They won't agree to changing that for another ten years, at least.

Plus there is the re-match problem.

It probably won't happen. But, I never underestimate the collective imagination of those who stand to make money on CFB. Youd have some rematches with the 8 team playoff but seeing Oklahoma replay TCU or Oregon replay Stanford would be interesting with so much on the line. Plus, a team like Houston would potentially get a shot like the one that best Florida State. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing Houston beat a Ohio State?
FtBendTxAg
AG
LOL at anyone wanting to rejoin the big 12.
TheSwingingGate
AG
quote:

Maybe he meant the SWC.
letters at random
quote:
I still think sips and sooners are just biding their time until they can bounce. I would be shocked if the other texas schools voted to let UH in.

It's become apparent that the Big 12 is not a long term solution, so they are auctioning off membership in order to bilk the networks. In an effort to save the Big 12, the networks promised to up the tv money for new members. So, if the Big 12 gets a new member, tv money goes up 25 million or whatever. So the conference is going to sell either 2 or 4 spots to whatever schools will take the least per year. Tulane will join for 8 million a year, so the other schools gave another 17 million to use to try and keep OU and Texas happy.
chrisrrtx
AG
Any chance one of those supposed rejoins is mizzou? With the athletics and school in general deteriorating and the longer travels and expenses maybe they could want to go back to snagging ten wins a year
agsteve77
AG
Geez, seems like Mizzou has done pretty well for itself in the SEC east.
Plus the $$$
DayAg!
S
Has Tom Osborn died. Did you forget Nebraska loathed being in a conference with tu. Once again these dumpster types are trying to drive the narrative. Their desperation clearly shows.
greg.w.h
AG
More color from USAToday. Up to four teams will be added, ESPN and Fox are supposedly locked in to 40% increase in revenue if 4 teams added. Response to announcement of 20-year grant of rights and conference network plan for ACC.

Someone put the popcorn on...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2016/07/19/big-12-media-days-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/87317184/
greg.w.h
AG
ESPN self-press on ACC Network. ACC+ digital network starts this fall. Interesting to see if this works as a holding action strategy for East Coast cable cutters.

If so, expect ESPN to approach Pac-12 and Big 12 about deals to absorb the Pac-12 Network and to either rebrand the LHN or launch a cooperating "Rest of the Big 12" Linear and Digital Networks.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17102933/acc-espn-agree-20-year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network
CentexAg
AG
quote:
Yes, it doesn't sound like Snyder to make a statement like that, knowing his past, but with the way things are going for both Nebraska and Colorado in their new conferences, and the way these rumors are coming up, we can never say never about certain things. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

LOL at anyone who thinks a team would leave a steady, prospering conference like the PAC 12 or Big 10 to join a dead man walking like the Bevo's Harem. The fact that they are going to use some bottom feeder schools to rape the only people still supporting them (ESPN) out of more money is exactly the arrogance that got them into this mess in the first place. I love watching the smoke pouring out of both engines of the big 12 plane headed straight into the ground.
The Original AG 76
AG
IF I was a bdf type I would like to have Tulane and CSU simply for the road trips. A trip to the Big Easy or to cool off in the mountains of Colorado is a nice treat for a conference who's road trips are possibly the worst in the nation.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:

Ole Bill is just thinking about the old Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Conference that he coached KSU in back in the oughts... He's probably heard that old conference arch rivals Grinnell College and Washington Univ of St Louis are hankering to get back in......
panhandlefarmer
AG
quote:
More color from USAToday. Up to four teams will be added, ESPN and Fox are supposedly locked in to 40% increase in revenue if 4 teams added. Response to announcement of 20-year grant of rights and conference network plan for ACC.

Someone put the popcorn on...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2016/07/19/big-12-media-days-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/87317184/

I have a really hard time believing the networks agreed to a 40% increase regardless of what schools they add. The value of the various brands and markets available wouldn't seem to support a blind commitment like that.
amercer
AG
Colorado St, Houston, and Memphis are the best options I guess. Can't say that's going to help the big12 become a powerhouse again
Frank Grimes
AG
quote:
Just as likely to be Gudger College and Girl Scout troop 417.
Gudger College is a power house.
Willis
AG
I would add Houston, Tulane, Memphis and Cincinnati. Memphis and Cincinnati simply to try to tie W. Virginia to the rest of the conference. Like the ESPN article said, no one really fits and it's not bringing any new markets to the table. CSU and BYU I think would be good fits, but that makes the W. Virginia problem that much worse plus BYU won't play on Sundays. Or just add all six and be the first sixteen team conference.
dcAg
It is so comical. texas drives off A&M (its biggest rival despite what they say about OU), Nebraska (OU's biggest rival despite what they say about texas), Missouri and Colorado.

Replace them with WV and TCU (a school that was ditched previously). Great JOB!!!

I could see where Colorado would want back in though. Playing in the Pac 12 seems like a good idea on paper but the travel for athletics has to be an expensive beating.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.