Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are your tips for the best car buying experience?

4,102 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG

Searching for the perfect car and how to obtain it can be a real hassle. You're trying to maintain a budget and want the best deal you can get but before you head to those dealership doors make sure you do your homework. Luckily for you, most of the research for buying a car can now all be done while surfing the internet in your pajamas! Here is a list of situations you should think about before buying a vehicle.

Best and Worst Times to Buy.

Don't be desperate. So many people have reasons for buying a car, one of them being that your car is about to drive its last mile. Don't get to the point where you are so eager to buy a car because you have no other option.

No Spring Rush. Spring is the worst time to buy a car partially because your dealer still has plenty of time to keep some of their models on the lot before next year's models come in.

Out with the old, in with the new. The best time to buy a car is towards the end of summer through the end of the year! Dealerships are making more room for the newer models on their lots giving you the upper hand in negotiations.

Be patient. You should wait until the end of the month to buy a car. Managers might be trying to hit a certain quota and are willing to negotiate to hit that mark so you'll be getting a vehicle cheaper than if you bought it at the beginning of the month.

Get Pre-Approved for a Car Loan.

Know what you are working with. You want to get pre-approved in advance so you know how much you can spend.

Credit Unions vs. Big Banks. Don't rush to the big banks to get financed. Start with a credit union. Because they are not-for-profit, credit unions usually have the lowest interest rates for loans.

Locate a Trustworthy Dealership.

Ask around. It can be a hassle trying to find a trustworthy dealership. Your best bet is to ask around. I'm sure someone in your family, group of friends or even coworkers have bought a car and will be more than willing to give you a recommendation.

Be Confident and Be Knowledgeable.

You're the boss. Do not let them know if you are trading in your car before you negotiate a deal. They will sometimes use your trade in value for their own pricing of your new car.

Research the price. Knowing the fair price on your vehicle can help you when deciding what you are willing to pay for your new ride. If the dealer claims the value of the vehicle is a certain price and you know he is asking too much for the car you can always refer to websites like Kelley Blue Book.

Test Drive Before You Buy.

Is this the car you really want? Make sure your car fits your needs. Buy a car that you will appreciate and will last you throughout the years.

Extra tip. Before test driving a car, salesmen ask for your driver's license and/or your insurance to make photocopies for themselves. They do this because during the time that you are waiting they are checking your credit history, talking to coworkers on different ways about going with the deal, etc. Don't give them your time so they can rack up the price tag. You should make photocopies of your driver's license and car insurance ahead of time so you're not delaying. I would even go above and beyond and write on those photocopies "do not run credit history report without consent." This way they can't run a credit history check on you nor can they take up your time trying to decide how to maximize their profit.

On the Road to Success.

Satisfaction. Now that you have taken some of these tips into consideration and bought your dream car go ahead and hit the open road. Go on that big road trip you've been planning! You'll feel even better knowing that you bought it at a fair price and got a great rate when you financed it with your credit union.

Read more about these tips at https://www.gtfcu.org/loans/tips-for-car-buying
What tips do you have to share about having the best car buying experience?
Article by Emily Jatzlau, Aggieland Credit Union
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Use USAA if you can...great prices and great rates
Col. A 1976
Bock for Breakfast
AG
Find the car you want. Learn everything about it. Go to the dealership and pretend you hate it. Test drive it because you have an hour to kill before your appointment at the next dealership to see the car you really want. Make a terrible low ball offer then walk out abruptly, leaving your card and say "I can find someone who'll sell me a car." Then wait for the call and tell the person you don't think you have anything to discuss when they finally do call. Don't forget to mention how much car shopping made you realize how much you love your old car.
Craigy
I don't suggest at all what Bock is purposing. It's funny, people like this are the first to accuse the dealers of playing games and its the customer doing this. Be honest, have knowledge and follow most of the tips above . Do your prep on your own before you go to the dealership. Ask questions..
Aggie_Eric98
AG
When a dealer says bring me your best offer and I'll beat it by $500, but won't give you an actual offer besides the advertised offer and cash back. Find another dealer.
JCRiley09
AG
My favorite car buying tips:

If you've never seen an ignite presentation, it's always a 5 minute, 20 slide presentation.
Speedystooth
AG
Buy a used car with cash.
Phat Ag 79
AG
Walk into the Porsche dealership, point to the black 911 Carrera sitting on the show room floor and say: "That one"
WallyWonka
AG
Do all the above regarding research on car etc. Further, get pre-qualified from your bank/credit union; however, tell the bank/credit union that you want to put down, say $5,000, and make sure they tell the dealer you HAVE to come to close with that same amount (whatever amount that is).

You need to figure out how much you're willing to pay per month, for say a three to four year note (don't let the dealership know this, as they will always ask you how much you want to pay and back you into a sales price based on this). This information will be needed later on in the negotiations.***

With a pre-qualification in hand, you will be negotiating a CASH PRICE with the salesman/sales manager. Upon arriving at your preliminary sales price and being given a preliminary closing statement, they will let you know you have to come to the table with $5,000 (per bank instructions). You tell them at most you may have is, say $1,000 (whatever amount you feel comfortable with, but significantly less than the amount). It's amazing how they will come back with dealer financing at a very low interest rate (lower than bank financing), and will probably come down on sale price to fit your monthly payment that you are ***NOW WILLING*** to disclose to them.

If you go in initially wanting/qualified for the low dealer financing, say 1.99% financing for a three to four year term, they will fluff the price up. They always sell for profit, as which they should. Profit is a wonderful concept. So even when they renegotiate down in order to close a deal with a WILLING BUYER (they've invested all of this time already and don't want to lose a deal), they're still making a profit, just not as much.

If you can, shop close to the end of the month, say day seven before the month ends. They are needing to move product off the lot. Be willing to walk away from negotiations for a day or so and let them cook for a while.

If you have had a car wreck, and replacing a car, you may not have this luxury of walking away for a day or so, but a few hours work wonders. You can use this to your advantage as you are a MORE THAN WILLING BUYER. Don't be afraid to push/walk away from the table.
Bobby Jimbo
AG

• Try to purchase your vehicle at the end of the year or end of the quarter when the car salesmen are desperate to hit their numbers
  • Research the car ahead of time and know the total asking price before you go in (use an online calculator to find out the estimeated tax, title, and license costs).
  • DO NOT fall in love with the car. If you like it, just act like you are "content" with the vehicle. If they know you are in love with the car, the car salesman will use that as leverage against you later on. Make sure to point out flaws in the vehicle (this comes in extra handy with preowned cars).
  • The car salesman is going to try to ask you about trade-ins. Tell him you are selling your old vehicle to family friend, even if you are planning on trading it in because that will be used as leverage against you.
  • The car salesman will also ask you what you want your monthly payments to be. DO NOT tell him this information. You should already know this information based on the total asking price divided by the number of loans with the finance rate included. The key is to know this information ahead of time. If you tell him what you want your monthly payments to be, he might make it happen for a 6 year loan as opposed to a 5 year loan. Don't negotiate financing until you have settled on the total asking price.
  • When the salesman gives you the quote for the total asking price, shake your head and act like you don't like what you see. Since I knew what the total asking price was going to be ahead of time, I come back and knock 20% off his quote (calculated beforehand). My goal is to get 10% off the total asking price, but you cannot tell him that since the price would only rise from there. This is where you point out flaws with the vehicle.
  • If you are unable to get it to the price you are looking for, just walk away. I advocate that you walk away after the first visit no matter what since they ALWAYS call back looking to sweeten the deal.
champagnepapi
Not Aggie-Football related.
Jack Cheese
AG
Sticker's quicker!
OldArmy91
AG
Follow these steps:

1. Find what you want first.
2. Don't take a woman with you.
3. Find out what day of the week they're closed.
4. Find out when they close for the day, the day before they're closed all day.
5. Go in 30 minutes before close.
6. Have check in hand.
7. Make an offer they'd likely refuse if they had time but they'll take it because something is better than nothing and by the time you're at this point, their ol' ladies are asking them where they're at because it's 20 minutes past closing time and they aren't home yet. They start getting their ass chewed out from home because of the "thing planned" and they'll make a deal just to get rid of you so they can lock up.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Buy a used car with cash.

Correct answer.
libertyag
AG
The one you can convince yourself and your buddies that you made a good deal on something that goes down in value every month. Pat each other on the back, but try not to think too hard about it and enjoy the ride.
94chem
I wait for one of you guys to ply all your tricks on the dealer. Then I wait for you to drive it for 5 years and put about 60K miles on it. Then I buy it with loose change from my sofa and drive it for 6 more years. Then my kids go to college without borrowing money.
Ag Tag
I recommend getting drunk before going to the dealership and talking to the salesman.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
I wait for one of you guys to ply all your tricks on the dealer. Then I wait for you to drive it for 5 years and put about 60K miles on it. Then I buy it with loose change from my sofa and drive it for 6 more years. Then my kids go to college without borrowing money.

Another correct answer.
Zombie
quote:
Extra tip. Before test driving a car, salesmen ask for your driver's license and/or your insurance to make photocopies for themselves. They do this because during the time that you are waiting they are checking your credit history, talking to coworkers on different ways about going with the deal, etc. Don't give them your time so they can rack up the price tag. You should make photocopies of your driver's license and car insurance ahead of time so you're not delaying. I would even go above and beyond and write on those photocopies "do not run credit history report without consent." This way they can't run a credit history check on you nor can they take up your time trying to decide how to maximize their profit.
What? I am a car dealer and while most of these tips are pretty spot on, this one is just stupid. We ask for your license and insurance to protect ourselves. 1. If we dont ask for these before the test drive, we cannot hold you responsible if you do something to the car. 2. It is to protect our sales people. There have been many instances of sales people getting assaulted on test drives.

We CANNOT run credit checks without a signed credit application and your permission to do so. Also, please tell me how in the world can we run a credit check with no SSN??? Last time I checked, a license and insurance does not have a SSN.

If you come in to my dealership and refuse to give us your license and insurance, guess what? No test drive. No car deal. Period
Zombie
Also, here is another tip: Don't treat us as if we are the scum of the earth. We are a retail store. Just like Walmart, Bestbuy, etc. Yet we are made out to be villains for wanting to make a profit. People don't walk into other retail stores and demand to pay less than what the store paid, do they? Why is it okay in a car dealership? Be reasonable. And for God's sake! If the store closes at 9, don't come in at 8:55!!! We have families too!
Zombie
Last tip: Cash is not king in a car dealership. We are more likely to give you a better deal if you are financing. At least at that point we recoup a couple hundred dollars fee from the bank. All car loans are simple interest loans. You can finance on Monday and go pay it off on Tuesday if you want.
Post removed:
by user
OldArmy91
AG
quote:
Also, here is another tip: Don't treat us as if we are the scum of the earth. We are a retail store. Just like Walmart, Bestbuy, etc. Yet we are made out to be villains for wanting to make a profit. People don't walk into other retail stores and demand to pay less than what the store paid, do they? Why is it okay in a car dealership? Be reasonable. And for God's sake! If the store closes at 9, don't come in at 8:55!!! We have families too!
Car salesmen wouldn't have the reputation they do have if they didn't try to corn hole everyone that walked in the door.

If you don't expect anyone to walk in the door at 8:55, close at 8:54.

If you can't get it done in 30 minutes, you're totally jerking off customers.
gigemags-99
AG
S.A. Aggie
AG
Find the car you want. Then go to Enterprise and rent it for a weekend. Best money spent is a weekend in the car.
Zombie
quote:
If you can't get it done in 30 minutes, you're totally jerking off customers.

Please tell me anywhere you can go and buy a car from start to finish in 30 minutes.
Zombie
Average markups:

Beverages: 300%
Jewelry: 100-400%
Produce: 50-100%
Clothing: 250-350%
Brand Name Drugs: 200-3500%
Textbooks: 75-100%
Cosmetics: 40-50%

New vehicles: 3-5%

Now please tell me how we are trying to screw you....
Post removed:
by user
OldArmy91
AG
quote:
Average markups:

That would be a big fat lie....the 3-5%.

Dealer holdback, aka factory to dealer incentive per vehicle...that is not included in the cost to the dealer, is 3% on average.

So you can add that 3% to 5% = 8% of a $75,000 car = $6,000

a 50 cent soda resold for a buck and a half (your comparison) is a far cry from 6 g's for filling out a few pages of paperwork.

And I have done a 30 minute deal. I have also walked out. Nobody has time for those bull**** games.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Because you get bonuses on top of your commission based on how many car you sell.

As a sales guy, I support you charging as much as you can for your time though.
chipotle
Fight with your wife in front of the dealer on the night of the years last quarter. Trust me.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Average markups:

Because, the coat of a vehicle had gone up exponentially compared to all other consumer goods. Just because the dealer pays too much for a car doesn't mean I have to.

Dumbass.
KidDoc
AG
My best experience so far has been my Tesla purchase. Go to the Tesla shop. Test drive. Go home and go to website, click options, and click order button. Pick up a few months later and get overview of car and drive off.

Was so nice to order what I wanted with no hassles, go figure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chipotle
Ha, no hassle. No Hassle means you're paying too much.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Ha, no hassle. No Hassle means you're paying too much.

No, he bought a Tesla. It means the taxpayers are paying too much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.