Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tip of the Iceberg

11,890 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
ottman713
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We call them Ole Mi$$.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15766359/ole-miss-self-imposes-double-digit-reduction-football-scholarships

When you have a situation where it is found that a booster gave a recruit $800 or an "interest-free" car loan, just know that there were tens or hundreds of similar situations that weren't discovered by the investigation.

Hopefully we are near the end of the time where Ole Miss and Baylor are relevant football programs.
Verne Lundquist
AG
I honestly wonder if we pay.

I am not in the know or anything but it takes a big suspension of disbelief on my part to believe that we don't play the game as well.

I hope we don't
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:

I am not in the know or anything but it takes a big suspension of disbelief on my part to believe that we don't play the game as well.

I hope we don't
Everyone pays in one way or another, it's the college football landscape.

HoustonAg2014
AG
We pay there is no doubt in my mind. We pay but I think we pay on a level that most programs play on. My belief is that we pay to compete with or keep up with other teams paying so that the athletes don't have 1 offer with money and one without.

Then there is the obvious level where the school all the sudden starts raking in top recruits out of nowhere. I'm positive all schools pay but at what level is the key.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

I hope we don't

If we do we really suck at it. It's much worse to cheat and not win vs just cheating.
Bonfire1996
AG
If you don't pay, you don't recruit. Like doping in cycling. If you want to finish in the top 50 in the Tour de France, you have to thin your blood and you have to recover, daily.
ottman713
AG
It's not the schools that pay .... obviously.

It's boosters. What appears to be cited in this report is that at least one Ole Miss coach coordinated improper benefits through the booster. Which in essence means the school paid. It also says Ole Miss knew, and did nothing to make sure the booster didn't pay again.
SuperAg09
AG
Gold Trans Am?
mcag83
AG
quote:
Gold Trans Am?

Ha
mgreen
I am the odd man out but I think paymnets are rare. How do you offer payments to a five star guy being recruited by a dozen top schools? They then decide to go elsewhere. What stops you from ratting them out? It is in your new schools best interest to rat them out.

If you pay one you have to pay them all. These kids can not keep their mouth shut. If one kid finds out another is getting paid and he is not, all he needs to do is threaten to go public. What about the guy that is supposedly gettting paid and has a seson ending injury and the money stops. You think he is just going to go home quitely? You can not afford to pay them all.

Does a guy get a free hotel room or free meal here and there? Probably but I doubt it is every school paying dozens of players. There would be no way to keep it quiet.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
I wonder if OM is who RSJ was talking about in his recruiting?

http://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2013/08/28/ricky-seals-jones-600000-dollars-recruiting

quote:
Jones claims that a high-profile program other than A&M offered "$300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family." But ensuing offers from one SEC school and one ACC school were "a lot higher than that," according to Jones.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Some degree of perks probably exist everywhere. But I question the sanity of boosters willing to fork over that kind of money for one recruit. No amount of wealth in the world would have me on a bended knee trying to woo teenagers.

As for the question of if A&M is different, I don't think there's any doubt that the NCAA scrutiny in the 90's made us much more cautious, and recruiting may have suffered for a while because of it. No idea what the climate is right now, but I think the Pell grants and cost-of-living stuff has taken the "poor kids getting used by the program" arguments away.
phatbeast
AG
quote:

http://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2013/08/28/ricky-seals-jones-600000-dollars-recruiting

quote:
Jones claims that a high-profile program other than A&M offered "$300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family." But ensuing offers from one SEC school and one ACC school were "a lot higher than that," according to Jones.

RSJ coming out with that has always made me think that we probably don't pay. Or that if we do, it's not at a significant level. It would be pretty dumb to go out and talk about that if you had signed with a program that was giving you money.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
The school asked the NCAA that it not have to appear before the Committee on Infractions this summer so it could continue investigating allegations that Tunsil received money from Ole Miss officials to pay his rent and his mother's utility bill.

A) What the hell is there to investigate? They all but admitted it in last years police altercation

B) How about no. You get face up to the charges and if something else comes out you face those too.
1876er
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

RSJ coming out with that has always made me think that we probably don't pay. Or that if we do, it's not at a significant level. It would be pretty dumb to go out and talk about that if you had signed with a program that was giving you money.

Would turn down 300k for $0? I wouldn't.
phatbeast
AG
Would you talk about being offered 300k if you were taking 500k? I wouldn't.
RAB83
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Maybe the kid has integrity.
CorpsAg11
AG
I am also in the minority in that i believe there are only a few (obvious) schools who pay and blatantly break the rules. Maybe am impermissible meal here and there at school like A&M, but not widespread cheating, like at Ole Miss and Baylor and a few others.

I have no inside knowledge and maybe I'm naive but that's just my opinion. If we were paying i think it would come out more after guys left school, especially a disgruntled 5-star like Christine Michael. The athletes have no reason not to tell the truth one they leave school (like tunsil).
1876er
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Lol. You have to be all sorts of naive to think an 18 year old would turn down 300k. How do you think all of our players have nice cars, clothes, shoes, and tattoos? All that stuff isn't cheap.
libertyag
AG
quote:

Lol. You have to be all sorts of naive to think an 18 year old would turn down 300k. How do you think all of our players have nice cars, clothes, shoes, and tattoos? All that stuff isn't cheap.
Listening to a lot of college football players and basketball players (regardless of the team they are on), I think most of them are able to afford those nice things because they do motivational speaking and they tutor some of the other non-athlete high SAT score students to help them along.
Post removed:
by user
oysterbayAG
AG
I don't think we pay ! At 5 Million / year, why would Sumlin take the risk ?? We get our recruits by selling our top facilities, NFL Draft record, and now, the quality of our assistant coaches ! Build a championship program with playing by the rules makes winning even greater !
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
I don't think we pay ! At 5 Million / year, why would Sumlin take the risk ?? We get our recruits by selling our top facilities, NFL Draft record, and now, the quality of our assistant coaches ! Build a championship program with playing by the rules makes winning even greater !

Ask Pete Carroll. Parlayed his cheating into $50 million in NFL coaching salaries.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

You're also the guy that said we beat Bob Stoops with his worst record at OU at 10-2.

Pardon me if I don't think you're a f***ing idiot.
1876er
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

You're also the guy that said we beat Bob Stoops with his worst record at OU at 10-2.

Pardon me if I don't think you're a f***ing idiot.

It was a hyperbole "nice guy". OU finished #15 that year. that is a disappointing season for OU under Stoops. Wake me up when Sumlin gets 10 wins again.
Amarillo Slim
AG
quote:

I hope we don't
I don't so if you don't then by definition WE don't.
Bigsteve713
AG
of course everyone(including us) pays, it blows my mind that people think 18 year olds would say no thanks to big money to go play for nothing

RAB83
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I am that naive, at least for some of the kids. If you're a stud athlete coming out of high school, you've got visions of a pro career in the future. That's the big payday. Until then, you're swimming in swag, getting treated well, getting fed well, etc. Just because a kid is black, doesn't mean he's poor and can be bribed. He might be middle class, have high integrity, and financially supportive parents. Do not impugn our kids without facts.
Bigsteve713
AG
Nino Brown
Maybe I'm being naive but the difference is with the bigger schools you are always guaranteed now days to be taken care of after graduation if you don't make it to the league.
marble rye
AG
quote:
Just because a kid is black, doesn't mean he's poor and can be bribed. He might be middle class, have high integrity, and financially supportive parents.

You mean, like Kyler Murray?

L
O
L
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Back in about 1987, I was at Chicken Oil Company and saw a table with 5 or 6 men in suits sitting with a large young black man. I suspect the younger man was a football player. As the group was getting up to leave, I saw one of the men hand the (presumed) football player a large wad of cash.

Who it was, I have no idea. Was it a football player getting paid by a booster or something else? I have no way of knowing. It did, however, look very suspicious.

I suspect that similar scenes can be seen throughout the country.
1876er
AG
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most posters on this website convinced themselves that Johnny was just flying around the country on his own dime signing autographs for free because he is such a nice guy.
Mr Ed
quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most posters on this website convinced themselves that Johnny was just flying around the country on his own dime signing autographs for free because he is such a nice guy.

POTD
Token
AG
All of the big name wide receivers seem to drive dodge challengers with hemi engines and a **** ton of cosmetic upgrades. I'd love to know exactly how they can afford that...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.