Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chris Berman retiring after this season....

12,693 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by annie88
GoneForGood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
94 Killer
AG
I hope he just retires. He's earned it.
45-70Ag
AG
Good
He's one the bigger asses on tv
Eric Forman
AG
Don't worry... he'll get bored with retirement and he'll be baaaaack back back back back.
greg.w.h
AG
The Swami is the ESPN corporate mascot. I don't personally care for him but ESPN won't be the same without him. End of the era of the rise to domination of American sports broadcasting by ESPN.
BMX Bandit
You're with me leather.
snowdog90
Thank God. He's the worst. I actually kinda liked him in the 80's.
JRB78
AG
He was average at best, and was unable to maintain even that level.
Bunk Moreland
Good. Now he can enjoy some deu deu deu's from his home and stop annoying me when I watch ESPN.
Clown_World
Who is going to tell us how well the Buffalo Bills circle the wagons?
oragator
He jumped the shark when they had him do golf, which was an embarrasment to golf, ESPN and the United States of America.
Otherwise he was just an annoying self absorbed sports guy who thought he was the event and not what he was covering...a couple of dumb catch phrases and little else.

Good riddance.
dreyOO
Finally.
Agsrback12
I did not realize he was still on TV..
Cynical_Texan
AG
Back... Back... Back...

Gone.

Goodbye.
Shooz in Katy
AG
I hope in retirement he'll finally be able to catch his breath instead grunting out the second half of his sentences.
Cancelled
AG
He used to be so awesome in the 90s with his CFB post game commentary. But his schtick really grew tiresome and lame.
Spicewood Ag
AG
Yeah, I bet ESPN didn't strongly suggest the idea at all. He was their highest paid employee right? Yeah....
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Yeah, I bet ESPN didn't strongly suggest the idea at all. He was their highest paid employee right? Yeah....
Wasn't he one of the guys who had a huge windfall when Disney bought ESPN?

Berman's retirement will be good...for him and ESPN viewers. Good riddance
Bottlehead90
AG
His act grew tiresome when he tried to give everyone a clever nickname. Most were not.
BMX Bandit
Bert Be home Blyleven
Bonfired
AG
Oddibe "Young Again" McDowell and Jim "Two Silhouettes on" DeShaies were a couple of good ones...but yeah, his shtick had worn thin. He and Bob Ley are the last two left from the early days. He's a fixture, but it's time.
kb2001
AG
He was great back in the day. He's been bad for the last 15 years, he's been incompetent the last 10, and I'm not sure he really knew where he was for the last 5

It is well past time for him to retire, this is good for everybody
Lyred OO
AG
I didn't mind him at all. His thing was his thing and I guess you get used to it or not. He's been there since the beginning and kind of a staple. Good for him on retirement. He's takes and voice will be missed by some.
AFDave13
AG
He's not retiring; he's being forced out.

A) He makes too much $ and ESPN is going broke
2) He's white
3) Hes a white MAN--the worst of the worst

They're forcing out all of their white dudes in the guise of diversity. Instead, they're making themselves appear diverse when in reality they're intellectually identical.
eloc62
quote:
Oddibe "Young Again" McDowell and Jim "Two Silhouettes on" DeShaies were a couple of good ones...but yeah, his shtick had worn thin. He and Bob Ley are the last two left from the early days. He's a fixture, but it's time.
my fave was Bert "be home bly eleven" Blyleven. I, for one will miss him. guess you had to have watched him over the last 30 yrs to appreciate him. you may not like him, but you cannot say that he didn't have a love for what he did, and was damn good at it.
mmh
AG
quote:
He jumped the shark when they had him do golf, which was an embarrasment to golf, ESPN and the United States of America.
Otherwise he was just an annoying self absorbed sports guy who thought he was the event and not what he was covering...a couple of dumb catch phrases and little else.

Good riddance.

The best thing about Boomer, was that to listen to Boomer, you actually had to go find him.

Also, guys like Boomer, just don't retire. Somethings wrong.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Please let Lee Corso be the next one shown the door.

Such a beating.
AggieEE
AG
WHAHP!!!
titanmaster_race
I think he's fine for football.

But I cant wait to not hear him do the MLB Home Run Derby anymore.
Jock 07
AG
I concur, he would have been fine if he stuck with football but it was him showing up for the major events in each sport and acting like the expert on everything is what got old
BMX Bandit
quote:
He's not retiring; he's being forced out.

A) He makes too much $ and ESPN is going broke
2) He's white
3) Hes a white MAN--the worst of the worst

They're forcing out all of their white dudes in the guise of diversity. Instead, they're making themselves appear diverse when in reality they're intellectually identical.

Explains why Cris Carter, Ray Lewis & Keyshawn Johnson are being let go. Way too white.

The race obsession some have never ceases to amaze.
Al Bula
AG
I love it. People are dropping ESPN like it's hot and the bloated talking heads get sh tcanned.
Aston04
AG
The big trend at espn is to hire cheap female analysts. Black female analyst with some skill is a unicorn they are looking for more of. I dont watch espn anymore, except for the occasional 30for30 or OTL or game. Why? Suxks sportscenter cant just play highlights, but is instead more concerned with say how the bisexual minority rowing athlete with one arm is doing.
BMX Bandit
RPM: I think ESPN is getting ahead of the game to ensure it survives. cutting salaries, not trying to get big 10 deal, etc will lower the costs. Deals with slingTV thst bypass traditional cable/satellite model. They are setting up for the eventual crash of that better than most.

What I find hilarious about it is Clay Travis leading the "ESPN is doomed to failure" charge while he works for a network that is trying to emulate ESPN by paying huge salaries for on air talent and crazy rights fees to broadcast games. If ESPN fails, FoxSports also will.
BMX Bandit
What's crazy is that when we were kids, sportscenter was 1/2 hour and showed just about every highlight there was. Now it's 2 hous long with few highlights. I rarely watch anything but live games & 30 for 30.

Apparently the numbers show people would prefer to watch attractive women over men as anchors. You see that trend in regular news also.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.