Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I'm Proud of Baylor...

8,203 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by W
SECond2noneAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...In the same way I'm proud of a 400 lb dude who drops 200 lbs. I mean, I'm glad that you dropped the dead weight, but how the hell did you let it get so bad in the first place?
NomadicAggie
AG
Hey, at least they aren't covering up murder this time. Improvement!!!
boboguitar
AG
...like your proud that a wife beater finally turns himself into the police.
aTm2004
AG
I'm not. They did what they had to do.
aTmAg
AG
Art Briles = Bird from the Wire.

He is taking all the heat himself to protect Baylor. I suspect he is doing so in exchange for the protection of his son and the rest of the staff. That is why they aren't being hung out to dry like they should be.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
The point of this thread

--------------------------------------

your head
letters at random
I honestly think they responded admirably to their institutional failures, and that their responses deserves our admiration.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:

He is taking all the heat himself to protect Baylor. I suspect he is doing so in exchange for the protection of his son and the rest of the staff. That is why they aren't being hung out to dry like they should be.

Then he is a fool. Other coaches are just another dominoe to fall.
aTm2004
AG
I got the point. Still venting my frustration with them.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
I honestly think they responded admirably to their institutional failures, and that their responses deserves our admiration.
Are you also okay with their decision to keep the coaches who had an active role in covering up rape on the coaching staff for this season?
letters at random
quote:
Are you also okay with their decision to keep the coaches who had an active role in covering up rape on the coaching staff for this season?

First of all, to my knowledge, the report never said that any of the coaches actively covered up a rape. That's an assumption on your part based upon the language it uses. Second, we don't know that Baylor will retain any coach who did something like that. Based upon the comprehensiveness of their response, that seems exceedingly unlikely to me.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Then he is a fool. Other coaches are just another dominoe to fall.
Then I suspect he will out the entire Baylor system. Let's hope this happens.
FrankK
AG
You seem to have a sick and twisted concept of "pride". May I suggest you pick your words more carefully in the future? "I gained weight" isn't exactly a good metaphor for "I created an environment where lots of innocent girls got raped."
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:

First of all, to my knowledge, the report never said that any of the coaches actively covered up a rape. That's an assumption on your part based upon the language it uses. Second, we don't know that Baylor will retain any coach who did something like that. Based upon the comprehensiveness of their response, that seems exceedingly unlikely to me.

Actually based on their decision to name bennet interim I'd say it's likely that to keep them.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually based on their decision to name bennet interim I'd say it's likely that to keep them.

I wouldn't say that. He maybe on next year but it's just as likely he won't be the head coach come next fall. they had to name someone to the position. Lots of interim coaches are named each year for coaching changes even for bowl games and that's the only game they coach as head coach for that school.
letters at random
I'd love to hear how you know that Bennett helped cover up a rape.
boboguitar
AG
quote:

I have as much evidence as I do on briles and most of the players that raped someone fell under bennet. It's naive to think a coverup of defensive players only included the head coach and not the DC.
letters at random
quote:
quote:

I have as much evidence as I do on briles and most of the players that raped someone fell under bennet. It's naive to think a coverup of defensive players only included the head coach and not the DC.

That makes very little sense.
riverrataggie
AG
Until that report actually names coaches outside of the HC it's all rumor on which ones participated. However it did say coaches and not just coach.

Others are involved.

Plus a new coach usually comes in and cleans house anyway. I have 10% riding that Bennet will coach there next fall anyways.
akm91
AG
quote:
Before we discuss what Baylor's Board of Regents did Thursday, let's dispense with the hyperbole and use some common sense. This probably wasn't a watershed moment. This probably isn't the start of a trend. This probably doesn't have any deeper meaning for the future of college football. Thursday's firing of football coach Art Briles, demotion of president Ken Starr and sanctioningwhatever that meansof athletic director Ian McCaw didn't happen because the wealthy alums on the board suddenly decided to stand up and do what's right. This happened because they had no other conceivable choice. Occasionally, the right thing and the bottom line intersect.
Andy Staples nails it.

quote:
Did Baylor do enough? That remains to be seen. The school certainly released some damning information Thursday, but it did not release anything specific. True transparency would mean a release of the entire Pepper Hamilton report with redactions to protect the victims' identities. That isn't likely to happen, judging by this portion of Baylor's release Thursday: "Pepper Hamilton examined more than a million pieces of informationfrom correspondence to interviews to reports. The experiences of students impacted by interpersonal violence played a significant role in the investigation into the University's response. While those experiences informed the findings, the details of individual cases are protected by Federal law and will not be referenced in any document made public by the University."

Without knowing some details of individual cases, the public won't know how deep the rot went. The section Baylor released about the football program referenced coachespluralmeeting with accusers and/or their parents. Briles was the only coach fired. As to who else was involved, the board included this in its release: "Additional members of the Administration and Athletics program have also been dismissed. Neither these individuals nor the disciplinary actions will be identified publicly." That isn't exactly transparent, nor does it offer any clue as to whether Baylor is doing enough to address the problems Pepper Hamilton found.

No one should be applauding what Baylor Regents did.

Andy Staples Article

boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That makes very little sense.
How so?

Do you its very likely, somewhat likely, or not likely that the DC didn't know about his defensive players rape allegations and the programs cover up of them?

Also, to a point further up, the report specifically says football coaches did _________, it's not just administrators.
letters at random
quote:
Do you its very likely, somewhat likely, or not likely that the DC didn't know about his defensive players rape allegations and the programs cover up of them?

Also, to a point further up, the report specifically says football coaches did _________, it's not just administrators.

What do you mean the programs "cover up of rape allegations?" I think it's exceedingly likely that whoever is hired to coach Baylor this year, even if it's Bennett (a guy who a bunch of Aggies think is a great person), will have never tried to hide evidence or suppress allegations of rape or any kind of sexual violence. At least, there will be no person who claims that their new coach ever did any of those things.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
...like your proud that a wife beater finally turns himself into the police.
When does a wife beater ever do that?
AgLaw02
AG
quote:
This is shockingly ignorant.
neAGle96
AG
quote:
quote:

What do you mean the programs "cover up of rape allegations?" I think it's exceedingly likely that whoever is hired to coach Baylor this year, even if it's Bennett (a guy who a bunch of Aggies think is a great person), will have never tried to hide evidence or suppress allegations of rape or any kind of sexual violence. At least, there will be no person who claims that their new coach ever did any of those things.

The report doesn't specify Bennett or any other coach, it just states "coaches" participated in the interviewing of the victim and their family and tried to dissuade them from taking any other action.

What we do know about Bennett is he was telling Baylor fans at last summers coaches night events that he fully expected Uwochoku(sp?) to play in the upcoming season (2015). I find it hard to believe that the defensive coordinator did not know the reason Uwochoku, a defensive player, was suspended from playing in 2014, after he sat out the 2013 season due to transferring from Boise State, especially since there was a criminal charge and trial underway.

Either Bennett was clueless one of his players was charged with rape, or he knew of the rape charge, but figured his player would beat the pending criminal charges and the defensive staff would sneak him into the lineup without mentioning the real reason for the suspension (even though there was enough evidence to move forward with a criminal trial).

That certainly doesn't mean Bennett is involved in covering up, but it does show that Bennett didn't believe the rape charges were serious, or serious enough to return a guilty verdict. It also shows that Bennett wasn't exactly transparent with the alums. Baylor stated they wanted to be transparent as possible, Bennetts actions last summer seem to contradict that.

As the defensive coordinator of 3 DEs accused or rape during his tenure, it is highly likely Bennett knew of the charges and reason for their suspension. If he didn't, then Bennett is not in touch with his players and major events in their life's. Either option would not be desirable for even an interim coach at Baylor at this time.

The report also states there was a culture in the football program that protected accused players and tried to keep punishment in house. We don't know which coaches were actively involved, but it seems likely the culture would continue with just the dismissal of one coach.

If anyone from Briles staff is retained next fall, It seems like Baylor is more interested in trying maintain as much of the football momentum they have achieved over the past few seasons as possible, then trying to change the culture
letters at random
quote:
If anyone from Briles staff is retained next fall, It seems like Baylor is more interested in trying maintain as much of the football momentum they have achieved over the past few seasons as possible, then trying to change the culture

I just don't think we have enough facts to make that claim. Maybe.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:

They did what they did due to public perception, not because it's what they wanted to do.
waco_aggie05
AG
If I was on the coaching staff and I did not have a part in this I would have already resigned. I know its hard to quit a job without a back up but this is toxic and I would want no part of it.
letters at random
quote:
quote:

Obviously, I disagree. I rather believe that many institutions would have done all they could to hide their failures, refusing to release the report, instead being satisfied with merely making institutional changes to address the failures without publicly admitting the fact of the failures. It you are certain that A&M would never make the decision to bury a report like this, were these failures to have occurred at A&M (as it conceivably that they coukd have, had we hired Art Briles), then I suspect you are hopelessly naive.
AgLaw02
AG
This is far and away the worst college athletics scandal since Penn State, and you're arguing it could have happened anywhere, and that some or most other schools would have done the same thing?

Clearly you haven't read the accounts by the accusers of how they were treated by the Baylor administration, from assistant coaches up to Ken Starr himself. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by calling you ignorant. If you had read all the information that's out there and still held this opinion, then a stronger word would be needed to describe your level of misunderstanding.
letters at random
quote:
This is far and away the worst college athletics scandal since Penn State, and you're arguing it could have happened anywhere, and that some or most other schools would have done the same thing?

Clearly you haven't read the accounts by the accusers of how they were treated by the Baylor administration, from assistant coaches up to Ken Starr himself. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by calling you ignorant. If you had read all the information that's out there and still held this opinion, then a stronger word would be needed to describe your level of misunderstanding.

I've read snippets. Perhaps you could quote a portion of the report about which you believe it is egregiously stupid to believe it likely that a significant number of university boards would choose to bury?
longeryak
quote:
But, only once they were cornered and had absolutely no other choice.
letters at random
quote:
quote:

But they did have another choice. They could have fired Starr and other administrators, giving them sweet compensation packages in exchange for their silence to give the illusion of a response, and not released the report, or only have released select sections of the report. Many of the Baylor regents wanted to do just that. But they didn't.
longeryak
quote:
quote:
quote:

But they did have another choice. They could have fired Starr and other administrators, giving them sweet compensation packages in exchange for their silence to give the illusion of a response, and not released the report, or only have released select sections of the report. Many of the Baylor regents wanted to do just that. But they didn't.
Not sure if serious. I hope this is sarcasm going over my head as they did not release the report but gave a 13 page summary that gave no details of what actually happened.

If you means a lot more heads need to roll then I agree.
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
quote:

They didn't even release the full report. They are STILL hiding **** to avoid full transparency. Maybe you could get a full scholarship as a goaltender at Baylor.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.