Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thank you Mike Sherman

16,562 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jickyjack1
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thread Save.

Not really.

Lady Boy
Racist
Reginald Cousins
S
Nah.
coupland boy
AG
Cyrus Gray! Miss that guy.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Thread Save.

Needs more nipple
Bryanisbest
AG
Mike Sherman had a tear roll down his cheek as he sat in his office informing Yemi Babalola he could not play football anymore at A and M due to a criminal offense. Mike Sherman cared about his players and people. After we fired Mike Sherman he wrote a letter to the Texas High School coaches recommending A and M one last time. Mike Sherman was too good a man to coach at Texas A and M. We did not deserve to have a gentleman like that.
4ZORRO
AG
Nibbleweather get it.
4ZORRO
AG
Sherman set the stage for Sumlin.
DFCStrider
AG
I think that Sherman did more than the bare minimum of what is expected, because of the culture of college football. When doing the right thing is bucking the system, you are doing more than the bare minimum, even if it only should be the bare minimum. He built a quality program and laid a reasonably good foundation after inheriting an absolute dumpster fire with a bare cupboard. He had to repair relationships with high school coaches, recruit diamonds in the rough because the sips and the Sooners were getting anyone they wanted at that time, and he did it the right way. He was a bad in-game coach, and he should have hired a better strength and conditioning coach. Other than that, he was top notch and we should be grateful we had someone like him to repair the damage after Fran.
rebelAg02
A lot of our fans don't grasp the level of effort and effectiveness it took for Sherman to build our programs foundation from what he walked into after the late RC years and Fran.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Sumlin > Sherman as gameday coach.

Sherman offense >>>>>>> better than Sumlin offense. Spread passing concepts with a power run game.

Sherman eye for talent & developing talent > Sumlin, though Sherman never got enough depth on D he built the very good 2012 defense.

Fran left a terrible roster and a severe lack talent that Sherman had to build from the ground up.

Ultimately with how college football works I understand Sherman being let go, but the manner in which it was handled was shameful. His post-termination presser was awesome. We were lucky to have him and our 2012 - current success would not have been possible without him.
Mostly Peaceful
Agree with all of that, except for Sumlin being a better game day coach. Not that I think Sherman was a great one, but I still don't know what it is Sumlin does exactly. We've known since day one he has nothing to do with the defense, and when it became clear spav was in over his head, he didn't seem to want the keys to the offense either.

If he's a better game day coach because he doesn't do anything vs. blow games with questionable play calling, I'll give you that. We were certainly well prepared for games under Sherman. He brought a lot to the table. There's no doubt in my mind we'd be a much better team with him, Mazzone and Chavis.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I had forgotten the performance Swope had in that 2011 game. Miss that dude.
unmade bed
quote:

Fran left a terrible roster and a severe lack talent that Sherman had to build from the ground up

Yeah, it must suck to inherit a future Super Bowl MVP and a top 10 NFL draft pick QB. Its a miracle sherman won a game here.

Fran did screw the pooch with offensive line recruiting, but Shermans non existent Dline recruiting matched it, not to mention tons of misses at LB.
jickyjack1
If Sherman hadn't been exceptional at handling players, the story of that Super Bowl MVP could have been very different.
Yell Practice
Mike Sherman was all Aggie while here. He is a really good man, IMO.
hyt
AG
mike sherman was head coach during my last spring at a&m. when they were open, i attended every spring practice possible while a student. i can't say enough about sherman for how well he changed the attitude and character of our university's football program, and he did it with class. you could see right away how the players struggled to adjust to his standards, but who could blame them? they had never been forced to care about details and execution, and sherman was hardest on the best players. this was a total 180 from fran. you saw how fran played favorites during practice as there was definitely a double standard. sherman did so much to right what was wrong in aggieland.

honestly, mike sherman made me proud to be an aggie, and it was great to see how things improved from year to year under his leadership. he was a man you wanted to root for. by 2010 the talk on texags was "in sherman i trust", and there was good reason for this. sherman was a man we could trust. we could trust him to treat our players, recruits, students, coaches, and university well. then 2011 happened, and because of everything i've already said it made watching that season terrible. i hated that something like that season could happen so a team doing so many things right. then we fired him. not only did we fire him, we shamed him with the way we did it. however, no matter how he was treated he maintained the same class he brought with him from day one.

i was pretty hard on sherman when he first got here, despite what i had been seeing during practice. along with many people i considered him an underwhelming hire. he wasn't a college coach or the great recruiter we needed to beat mack brown, and i almost wanted his head after arkansas state. yet after being embarrassingly fired he did what he needed to do to make things right for the school and program. his farewell press conference made me think for the first time that there are some things more important for a football program than winning. i have a lot of respect for that man...
12mn95
AG
quote:
Agree with all of that, except for Sumlin being a better game day coach. Not that I think Sherman was a great one, but I still don't know what it is Sumlin does exactly. We've known since day one he has nothing to do with the defense, and when it became clear spav was in over his head, he didn't seem to want the keys to the offense either.

If he's a better game day coach because he doesn't do anything vs. blow games with questionable play calling, I'll give you that. We were certainly well prepared for games under Sherman. He brought a lot to the table. There's no doubt in my mind we'd be a much better team with him, Mazzone and Chavis.

Absolutely one of the best posts I've read on here about this subject. Thanks for writing it man.
Tmoneyag99
AG
do not even try to put fran in the same category of Sherman and Slocum.

Clearly you're a young kid the doesn't know the first thing about the history of Aggie football coaches. Go read up on them all before you post something so ridiculous again
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
Sherman was so puzzling to me. He was gifted, maybe the best the Aggies have ever had, at building a program. At the same time he was maybe the worst in-game coach known to mankind.
You forget about Mack Brown. His last years exposed him.
bigboykin
AG
It's a pretty sad indictment of the state of college football when anyone feels the need to congratulate someone for doing their job without cheating and/or condoning and abetting violent crimes.
jickyjack1
quote:
It's a pretty sad indictment of the state of college football when anyone feels the need to congratulate someone for doing their job without cheating and/or condoning and abetting violent crimes.

True, but a good sign when, that being the case, people still feel an inclination to appreciate that someone.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.