Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I'm proud of baylor

14,088 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rossticus
FrontPorchAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First school in awhile to put what is right infront of the importance of football. Firing Briles is the right move to clean up a dirty program and should have been done a long time ago but still the right thing none-the-less. I wish more schools (looking at you Penn State, FSU) would do the same.
wesnile
AG
Yes and no. Should of happened along time ago, but at the same time tough to walk away from the success he has had.

Good luck with tarping that new stadium
who?mikejones
AG
Yep, didn't think they would do it. I won't say I'm proud as they are doing what they should do. However, I'm glad to see Baylor attempt to fix something.
FrontPorchAg
I dont see other schools doing it.
SteveA
AG
I'm not in a position to be proud, but that was a hard decision, and ultimately the correct one. Think about what he's done for that school and program, and what his dismissal will likely mean to them.
wesnile
AG
quote:
I dont think other schools have had the systematic rape problem that Baylor has, especially taking players who already had issues and then lying about ever being told about the problems to begin with. Crime is crime, but this many rapes is unprecedented.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Being proud of Baylor is like being proud of a criminal for turning himself in. You broke the law, pay the price. No one should be proud of someone for doing what they're supposed to do, particularly when it should have happened a helluva lot sooner.
swc93
AG
Proud? dumb
FrontPorchAg
quote:
quote:
I dont think other schools have had the systematic rape problem that Baylor has, especially taking players who already had issues and then lying about ever being told about the problems to begin with. Crime is crime, but this many rapes is unprecedented.
You know how I know you haven't been to Tallahasse or South Bend? Seriously though, google "Football Rape Scandal" and go down the list of schools. I know many of these young men are innocent but where there is smoke there is fire and it's a lot of schools.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Congrats to Baylor for finally doing the right thing.
wesnile
AG
http://isartbrilesfiredyet.com/
FrontPorchAg
quote:
Being proud of Baylor is like being proud of a criminal for turning himself in. You broke the law, pay the price. No one should be proud of someone for doing what they're supposed to do, particularly when it should have happened a helluva lot sooner.
Except in most cases it isn't the school that broke the law and I don't see other regents cleaning house like they should.
hph6203
AG
quote:
First school in awhile to put what is right infront of the importance of football. Firing Briles is the right move to clean up a dirty program and should have been done a long time ago but still the right thing none-the-less. I wish more schools (looking at you Penn State, FSU) would do the same.
Penn State did literally the exact same thing as Baylor. They waited until the controversy erupted and then fired everyone to save face. You shouldn't be lauding Baylor for how they handled this, this should have happened a long time ago.
dixichkn
AG
It's hard to let go of the golden goose. But at least they did it. I would've laid you 100/1 that they wouldn't
Picadillo
Proud? OP has low standards.

Should have been done a long long time ago. Waco police are also complicit.
unmade bed
I'm proud of them too. They have come a long way from covering up murders to now only covering up rapes. That is a progress. Very well done BU.
Sex Panther
AG
You think they wanted to? They had no choice.
txagssweetie2014
They need to remove any position coaches and anyone else who was part of this mess.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

This
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Proud? dumb

Also this
AcctAg11
AG
They only fired him after being exposed in the media. Not sure why anyone would be proud of that.
wesnile
AG
SO PROUD
deadelephant98
AG
Yeah, I don't get people saying they're proud of Baylor.

They knew about it forever, stood by and watched it as their football program finally became relevant (literally watching the number of victims grow), and only acted when the media attention finally became too much.

How can anyone say they are proud of that?
ce1994
AG
Good Lord!!! Please stop acting like this has been going on for decades at Baylor as far as their football team is concerned. When the Board of Regeants founf out about this they acted. Briles has been there 8 years. Now he is out.

Good job Baylor!!!!!!!!!!!!
GoodAg Paulie
AG
quote:

No, it's more like being proud of the parents who took action with their son after finding out he committed a crime.
ham98
They made every effort to protect Briles. There is nothing admirable about baylol whatsoever
DustysLineup
AG
quote:

You're assuming that everyone knew. It's just not realistic to expect immediate action in our litigious society. They ultimately made a pretty bold decision. It's easy to bask in the schadenfreude, but hopefully we're better than that. Hopefully. We don't know all the details and you're kidding yourself if you pretend you do; we only know they had a tough decision to make about the identity of their university.
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Agree with this.

They're choosing to do the right thing now is only happening after being caught, with the media spotlight growing brighter and brighter, more information being uncovered, and the public becoming more aware.

If they were able to keep a lid on it I don't believe there would be any changes.
PacifistAg
AG

cc10106
Haha, ok. I guess it was a good time for everyone to pull their heads out of the sand.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
quote:
quote:
Except in most cases it isn't the school that broke the law and I don't see other regents cleaning house like they should.

All any entity like Baylor is, is an organization of individuals who got together and decided to name themselves something. In this instance, a bunch of high ranking individuals calling themselves Baylor Bears decided it was much better to turn a blind eye to a rape culture within their organization because it might have a negative effect on their football program, and more importantly, their pocket books.

What happened at Baylor (and Penn State) is the worst kind of thing. Women's lives were ruined and nothing was done by those who knew, and were in a position of authority to stamp it out. I pray nothing like that happens again, anywhere.
Frisco - Ag
AG
way too late
Drum5343
AG
quote:

This. I'm gonna be annoyed if the narrative is "Aw, Baylor is so awesome. They did the right thing! Good for them!"

You know. They finally did the "right thing" after years of doing the exact opposite.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
quote:
quote:

No, it's more like being proud of the parents who took action with their son after finding out he committed a crime.

Except the parent is supposed to be Starr and the son, Briles, is actually an adult. Don't for one second pretend that Baylor was completely blind to all of this until this week. It finally built up enough steam that Baylor finally had to do something. They chopped off the leg to save the entire body. Thank God for those who wouldn't just go quietly.
v1rotate92
AG
quote:
Proud of Baylor...sheeeesh. Took known, huge risks on many players others wouldn't touch. Only act because they had to...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.