Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What's up with this year's quarterback class?

4,398 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VatoLocoAggie
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You mean to tell me the top 3 quarterbacks in the draft went to Cal, South Dakota State, and Memphis? Meanwhile our two five star quarterbacks couldn't complete a pass to the broad side of a barn last season. The Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 couldn't put a quarterback in the first round of the draft.That blows my mind.

Is quarterback the hardest position to evaluate going from one level to the next? Or is it just the hardest position to develop?
Hardest to evaluate due to the mental aspect

There is a physical pre-req but after that, the mental aspect separates winners and losers
bero88
quote:
You mean to tell me the top 3 quarterbacks in the draft went to Cal, South Dakota State, and Memphis? Meanwhile our two five star quarterbacks couldn't complete a pass to the broad side of a barn last season. The Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 couldn't put a quarterback in the first round of the draft.That blows my mind.

Is quarterback the hardest position to evaluate going from one level to the next? Or is it just the hardest position to develop?
Look at some of the QBs that represent the power 5 conferences. For example, Dak Prescott was a really good collegiate qb but no way in hell his game translates to the next level. And as for our guys, well one major problem is they aren't even eligible for the draft. And look at all the great qbs in the league now. where did Big Ben, Aaron Rogers, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, even Tom Brady wasn't a starter, Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Blake Bortles, all of these guys either played at a small name school or their teams were atrocious. Russell Wilson was at Wisconsin but he played at NC State. Drew Brees came from freaking Purdon't, Matt Ryan was at god awful Boston College, Aaron rogers played at Cal and they were decent but nothing special. Go back and look at when these guys played and compare them to who won the natty that year and tell me what those qbs are doing now. You will have exceptions like Carson Palmer and Peyton Maning but for the most part this is nothing new.
Amazing Moves
quote:
Meanwhile our two five star quarterbacks couldn't complete a pass to the broad side of a barn last season.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Gee, pal! You're slicker than snot on a doorknob.
NavyAg92
AG
Some college QBs are simply that. Good college QBs and nothing more.
Citizen Reign
Is it possible that putting kids that are a year or two out of high school in charge of operating an offense in front of 90K people is a little too much to expect from most? Do unreasonable P5 fan bases ruin kids mental game?

Maybe facing big-time defenses at that age has a tendency to ruin a young QB's mental game.
Swing Your Saber
quote:

Yes. It is by far the hardest position to project & the only position projected w/less than 80% accuracy.
AgsMyDude
AG
ntxVol
IMO, college offenses are more diversified than in the NFL and many of those schemes don't develop the skills an NFL QB needs.

Just one example, RGIII didn't know how to identify the MLB at the line of scrimmage coming out of college because Briles' offense doesn't require it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Spread offense concepts make it harder to evaluate QB talent for other systems.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not only that, but your guys like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. have something else in common: they didn't start right away. They were able to be mentored for a while under a great QB until they were fully ready for the speed of the game. People like Cam, Andrew Luck, and Peyton are freaks of nature. Mainly because usually they get drafted to the ****tiest team in the league, and then spend years getting pummeled because they don't have an O line and are not ready for the speed of the game.
ashley
There are lots of excellent to great passers. The problem is that very few can do it under pressure situations and or with a rush in their face.
One major thing that effects the step up is there is less margin for error or another way to put it is the window gets smaller because of speed.
oysterbayAG
AG
The quality of the supporting cast of team mates on Offense & Defence & the quality of the coaching staff and front office executives are all important factors in the success of an individual Quarterback.
SigAg6
AG
Goff will be a bust
Bodhi
AG
quote:

Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Joe Flacco- Maryland
Tony Romo- Eastern Illinois
Ben Rothlesberger- Miami OH
Phillip Rivers- North Carolina State
Drew Brees-Purdue
Blake Bortles- Central Florida
Teddy Bridgewater-Louisville
Andy Dalton- TCU (they weren't big 12 yet)
Colin Kapernick-Nevada
Matt Ryan- Boston College

Where you went to college doesn't predict how you will fair as a NFL QB, despite what all the people on this board who have a hardon for the SEC will tell you.
ccolley68
AG
quote:
quote:

Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Joe Flacco- Maryland
Tony Romo- Eastern Illinois
Ben Rothlesberger- Miami OH
Phillip Rivers- North Carolina State
Drew Brees-Purdue
Blake Bortles- Central Florida
Teddy Bridgewater-Louisville
Andy Dalton- TCU (they weren't big 12 yet)
Colin Kapernick-Nevada
Matt Ryan- Boston College

Where you went to college doesn't predict how you will fair as a NFL QB, despite what all the people on this board who have a hardon for the SEC will tell you.

Flacco went to Delaware
VatoLocoAggie
Not sure how these guys will turn out but the QB class appeared weak.

Prescott will end up having the best career.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.