Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What was your WORST football season ever?

8,662 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lateralus Ag
cmsaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and 2011.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Games 6-12 of all of them...
agz win
AG
Fraud Fran years.
zephyr88
AG
November
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
permabull
AG
Tudster
AG

And it ain't even close.
512Ag
AG
quote:
November
WES2006AG
AG
anscag07
AG
2011 was bad, but apparently nobody remembers the 2003 season.

I was there and spelled T-E-A-M a lot!
Gig Em
William Larue Weller
AG
I'm not much of a fan of having a 17 point lead at halftime and then losing, so I'll go with 2011 as well.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
2011 sucked.

Last year was by far the most frustrating. Watching the Aggies lose because your coaches refused to make adjustments and showed a complete inability to learn.Evaluate after the season as your offense continues to put up 7 a game
CoolAggie
AG
Tie between 1995 and 2011. Yes, neither season was a losing season but we were ranked in the top 10 both years to start the seasons and proceeded to shat the bed in typical Aggie football fashion. Both also ended the regular season with bitter, historical losses to t.u.
Fumbleruski
AG
2003 was definitely worse to sit through than 2011. There was no hope in 2003. None.
Windy City Ag
AG
2003 was far, far, far, far, far, far worse than 2011.

2011 was frustrating of course but we only got worked one time that year and went to a bowl game. The major regional powers were starting to slip.

2003, we were still within recent memory of the Slocum/Sherrill glory years but we had watched LSU, OU, and Texas all rise to national dominance. We had Fran as coach and were absolutely humiliated multiple times.

Tech beat us 59-28, a so-so Nebraska squad beat us 48-12. Okie State pounded us 38-10 at home on ABC.

OU - enough said on that one but people forget Mizzou blasted us the following week by 3 TDs and we finished thee season getting destroyed by Texas at home.

We reached depths that year our fan base never thought imaginable.
DenverAg91
AG
2014 or 2015.

While the record wasn't awful, the recent settling for mediocrity is. Only 1-7 vs LSU and Alabama since entering SEC play.
TexanJeff
AG
2002 was the worst for me.

Slocum ran out of offense
Brought on the Fran Era
Several close loses in winnable games
Brandon Fails died
The Fife
quote:
2002 was the worst for me.

Slocum ran out of offense
Brought on the Fran Era
Several close loses in winnable games
Brandon Fails died

This. I should have quit paying attention to football when I finished undergrad because the late Slocum years were all downhill.
nickstro66
AG
I was lucky to get to watch Johnny my freshman and sophomore years and get the new Kyle Field my junior and senior year. I guess I can't complain much. Going through the Fran years while my brother was a student was awful though.
wisdom
AG
Nebules
AG
as a veteran of 1980 - present, I have to say 1995, the first year I remember seeing the word 'suckage' used to refer to our football team, made possible by the fact that 1995 was the first year I started following football in the cesspool of the internet.
Win At Life
AG
Anything worse than 2011 would have to be pre-1984.
Win At Life
AG
2003 gets honorable mention for just one game.

Google 77-0 and the top hit you still get on the WWW is our disaster.
Tudster
AG
quote:

Not to mention Johnny Jolly showboating after a tackle... Down by 77!!
TexagChris17
AG
Inspector Javert
Gotta be the one that started with the loss to arky state
ClassOf17
quote:
Gotta be the one that started with the loss to arky state

08?
Pro Ag
AG
For me, I have to say 2005, finishing 5-6.

The disappointment started in October of 2004 losing in Waco and was capped off on 1/1/2015 by hearing Rocky Top on repeat.

2005 was Reggie's last year and it was apparent that we were wasting his talent because we didn't improve on the defensive side of the ball.

2005 included the 14-42 loss to Iowa State which is one of the most painful losses I have seen in person (including Arky St).

That year sucked so much compared to what should have been.
MarathonAg03
AG

Even though we have had technically much worse seasons since then, and certainly had much worse seasons before, 1996 always feels like the worst one to me.

6-6 record with embarrassing losses to BYU, USL/ULL, Tech and Texas. (As well as other home losses to CU and KSU.)

I suppose it hurt so much because it was the first non-winning season after more than a decade of winning seasons and relative dominance.
wisdom
AG
Quote:

We actually won that game, 1-0....Zero-U had to forfeit it.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
1980-2016 except 2012 - the JFF miracle and the great JACKIE years. Tom Wison years were as bad as Fran and Spav!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
At least in 2011 we were in a lot of tight games. But losing the way we did so many times was heartbreaking.

2008 we were last in our division while we watched OU, Texas, and Texas Tech win 11+ games. Arkansas State loss. 6 point win over New Mexico. Ass pounding from 4-8 Baylor and the rest of the Big 12 South.

I choose 2008.
Amazing Moves
1988- ineligible and lost to all of the 5 ranked teams and the conference champion. Turmoil all around the program. Jackie Sherrill gone at the end of the season.

Only bright spot was beating 4-7 Texas at Memorial.

That season was the worst for a lot of reasons. We lost our best coach.

He was replaced with a coach who did well during the regular season in the worst big conference in the country. Terrible in bowl games and on the road. It only got worse in the big 12. His offenses were predictable. We know the rest. Follow that up with 2 mistakes and a guy who was hot out of the gate. Sumlin has a great bowl record and still has time to prove so we shall see.

The Ags won the 1988 Cotton Bowl just before this happened. That is the last Top tier bowl this program has won. 26 years ago.

This is the worst season in A&M history.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Hard to argue against 88 if you pick one game.
jphil1
AG
1970 hands down. Gene Stallings was coach. We went 2-9. I used to want the Ags plus 30pts just for the first half. It was an ugly ugly season
AG'73
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.