Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mazzone and developing QBs

8,646 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TxAg76
PunchyFarmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what I like the most about Mazzone. Our lack of ability to develop highly rated/skilled QBs both as players and young men has been the black hole of our offense. Admittedly, the internet has mixed reviews on Mazzone as an OC. I read one article where UCLA felt like he was there best OC in twenty years, but he was hindering their offense. I just have to believe that his experience coaching QBs for so long will bring in more of a "father figure" dynamic, rather than the "let's be buddys" situtation we've had. Along with Turner running the O-line and probably the best receiving corp Mazzone has ever had, I have high expectations. At least I feel like there will be less drama. Which all of the Aggies I know are ready for.
Schrute
Less drama...

technoviking
AG
as long as:

D continues to improve
O line improves even a little bit
Coaches work well together
Sumlin stops courting the NFL and pissing BMAs off

I will be happy.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
That's right, Punchy. I agree.
WBBQ74
AG
Last year during the Alamobowl UCLA Offense presser I got to spend about 10 minutes afterwards speaking 1 on 1 with the QB, Brett Hundley, about various stuff, etc. Quality kid and seemed to benefit from Mazzone's guidance. The old 'you shall know them by their fruit' deal. Looking forward to some adult supervision on the O side of the ball this fall. Happy about getting Jim Turner back, too.

All pumped up to buy those season tix next week. LOL.
Aggielandma12
AG
quote:
as long as:

D continues to improve
O line improves even a little bit
Coaches work well together
Sumlin stops courting the NFL and pissing BMAs off

I will be happy.

What about DJ at practice?
Clown Question
I am really curious how the Knight vs. Hubenak battle shakes out. Both guys have some real strengths. Mazzone seems to be committed to trying to run the ball to help his QBs (something Spav was loathe to do).
Bunk Moreland
we've been too quarterback dependent. Most successful spread offenses are not QB dependent. Obviously Mazzone's style wont be a HUNH spread air raid attack, so it will already help....but the biggest change I want no matter what type of offense the Ags run is that it isn't so dependent on the QB.

Sounds like Mazzone's offense will fit that mold.
sincereag
Most offenses are very dependant on the QB's abilities and performance. One of our big problems has been having to play a young QB without the stages of development that is needed. JFF was the exception. I think having two upper classmen in Hubes and Knight will help us tremendously in that regard. And hopefully Mazzone can do a better job of developing our new QBs and designing an offense around their abilities.
Bunk Moreland
obviously the QB is important, but see Bama, tech under leach and KK, Michigan State, USC for a long spell, Michigan last year, etc.

It doesn't always have to be the best QB each time. They aren't getting incredibly lucky and having elite QB's trot out there every single year. Some are for sure, but they've developed a scheme and offense, in different ways, that make them less dependent on the QB.

My main point is..the last 4 years, it took the QB at A&M to play elite for the Ags to have a chance to win against anyone with a pulse. I want an offense(and team) that can win without the QB feeling like they have to do every thing, every time. Get the ball to your play-makers and let them move the chains, utilize the running game, and limit turnovers.
sincereag
Agreed. We need to better utilize all our skill level talent by getting the ball in their hands and creating match up problems with the defense.
ashley
quote:
we've been too quarterback dependent. Most successful spread offenses are not QB dependent. Obviously Mazzone's style wont be a HUNH spread air raid attack, so it will already help....but the biggest change I want no matter what type of offense the Ags run is that it isn't so dependent on the QB.

I can't believe you said most spread offenses are not dependent on quarterbacks. That's just not true.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

I can't believe you said most spread offenses are not dependent on quarterbacks. That's just not true.

I'm not saying they aren't important, but leach's air raid does not need an elite level qb to run effectively. That was my point. Great offenses of all types can succeed or at least not completely fall apart when the qb isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

A&M's offense the last few years required the qb to play at a very high level each game out to have a chance. That was my point.
Agro1999
That's not true. Kenny Hill threw for big numbers in this offense before he flamed out personally. This offense doesn't demand excellence, it simply demands intelligence and appropriate play calling (down and distance).

Allen and Murray just were not very good in my opinion. We don't need a superstar, just someone who can snap it quickly and hit a 6 yard route consistently. If qb can do that, you will be amazed at how good the OL and back look on the next play.
CrazyDayDuck
Solid OP. Mazzone is not only a good OC, he and his son have a reputation for developing QBs.

The hiring of The Chief, the Mazzones, Turner and hopefully Haley is the next step for us to compete with the big dawgs of the SEC.

Sumlin is learning that he needs top level coaching talent to go along with top level player talent.
NyAggie
AG
Why dorsnt have to have lite talent; he needs to play smart and make the right reads and decisions:

Leach's offenses were most successful when they had more experienced wb's running it.

Pretty much any college offense is like that: with rare exceptions like jff/Winston, offenses in college are better with upperclassmen wb's

We have that now
Swing Your Saber
Most Cal folks upset w/Mazzone don't know what goes in to coaching football. All they see is the generic play calling in '15 & admitting to only using a few sets after a game. However the man can coach. He is great at developing players & getting guys to do their job. '15 was adapting his system to a freshman QB w/limited grasp of the playbook.
Batty
Sumlin was touted as a QB developer when he first arrived as well.A few 5stars later, not so much. I think you have to reserve judgement for a few yrs call'em like you see them.
Flexbone
Leavh's QBs were all upperclassmen with years in the system. That makes a big difference.
VatoLocoAggie
Last year is an anomaly for QB comparisons.
KM is a midget and KA is a head case.
TxAg76
AG
This will be the first opportunity that Sumlin has had to start an upperclassman at QB since he's been here.

8+ wins per year, without fielding anything older than a Soph at QB. Not too shabby
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.