Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mike Matthews

8,459 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PeekingDuck
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After the season ended there were a number of threads that discussed whether the OL would be improved next year or not. I was in the camp that thought next year we would have a more athletic line at the expense of some experience.I thought Cheek was too tall for good leverage at guard and Matthews was an overachiever. I was/am hopeful we will have a better line.

Other people (like 1876er) said we were fools to think we would be better. Said Matthews was the best graded-out center in the SEC.

If Matthews is the best center in the SEC how come he didn't even get an invite to the NFL combine? They only invite the top tier talent. Anyone??????
Sharpshooter
AG
Someone?
OilFieldIRI
S
Was P. Lewis invited?

I am assuming he was not invited to the combine because NFL scouts and GM's opted not to invite him.
aggiedent
AG
Yes, Lewis was invited to the combine and his results are available online.
W
AG
they watched the tape of the Music City Bowl = not good
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I'm confused.... Is this thread about next years oline, or op's 1876'r boner
BowhunterAg83
AG
We will be better on th O Line next year. Book it.
SteveBott
AG
Centers are not the highest needs in the NFL. He will have plenty of scouts at our pro day. Plus everyone already knows his dad and will at least give the kid a look.
NavyAg92
AG
quote:
We will be better on th O Line next year. Book it.
This. Quit focusing on what was and concentrate on what will be.
Artorias
AG
Mike is not big/fast/strong enough to go up against NFL DL. Good guy from a good family but doubt he makes it to the next level.
pootiessock
quote:
Centers are not the highest needs in the NFL. He will have plenty of scouts at our pro day. Plus everyone already knows his dad and will at least give the kid a look.

No stars
impavidus
AG
I'm not a huge fan of Mikes play, but the issue was our play at guard. Especially left guard....
SteveBott
AG
Hunter Goodwin stated all last season Mike was our best technical kid. He's light in the fannie I get that.

Right team ... right scheme, Free Agent is what he needs. Let him pick his team.
1876er
AG
I never said he was the best center in the SEC. I said the people who repeatedly said he was too small were wrong and that he would make an NFL roster.
OilFieldIRI
S
quote:
Yes, Lewis was invited to the combine and his results are available online.

I will look into that
jim 78
AG
This Matthews was overrated but all the others are/were great!!!
Unemployed
AG
Seems like Sumlin hired the wrong OL coach. He should've hired one of you guys instead.

You guys don't know sh.t.
W
AG
like all pundits and analysts...Hunter is wrong too sometimes
PeekingDuck
AG
Mike is too small to play center in the NFL. Has nothing to do with technique.
Clown Question
I bet he will get on with a team. Kevin played for a while in the league as a center and he was only a little bigger than Mike.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
I bet he will get on with a team. Kevin played for a while in the league as a center and he was only a little bigger than Mike.

And he was also a walkon as opposed to Mike who was a 4-star. So he wasn't seen as having that much potential coining out of HS.
PeekingDuck
AG
Kevin was basically a practice squad player. Still too small. Played a few games, I guess, but was never going to be much in the league.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.