Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

New Commitment under Sumlin

17,802 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CoachLB
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's pretty clear Sumlin has made a new commitment to being more physical over the past 2 seasons with the hires of Chavis, Mazzone, and now Jim Turner. It took him a couple seasons to truly understand the necessity of physicality in the SEC, but has now made it abundantly clear the direction he is heading the A&M program in. Thumbs up to Sumlin.
crag
AG
So it took $10 mil and getting curb stomped to figure that out. I could have told him that 2 years back.
Bone6
Being able to admit what you're doing incorrectly and change is something that seems so simple yet often proves to be very difficult for many leaders.
The Collective
AG
I think he knew it. He was hoping Spav / DC would be able to implement it offensively without blowing up that entire unit.
Just Tired
after his february close, "commitment under sumlin" is an ironic phrase.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
I don't think he just figured out you need to be physical, although you're right he has made hiring decisions to better address that need.

Seems to me like he started with a more "heady" philosophy with complex systems of Snyder and Spav (after KK obviously). And now moving to fewer decisions and more instinct driven styles.
DallasAg 94
It looks more to me like he is assembling the best staff imaginable, instead of making due with whom he thought he could get.

There is a private coach for my boys and his introductory session includes "Allow yourself to be greater than you think you can be." When they asked him how much they need to practice, he said, "That all depends on how good you want to be."

I think many early hires were in Sumlin's comfort zone, without thought of raising the ceiling. The ceiling has been raised and our expectations have, as well.

Chavis is among the best in the business, and everything I'm hearing about Turner leads me to believe those are incredible hires. I think overall the reviews on Mazzone are still mixed.

The next defensive coached hired comes with great expectations.

Once that hire is complete... I think all of the focus will point to recruiting benefits and what Offers are made, what projections are made and whom we get committed.
Bone6
quote:
Aside from the blue star to yourself, which is about the douchiest move you can do on here...

He still pulled in a top 15/20 class despite the fact we don't have much to sell.

We don't have the end of the honeymoon period that t.u. has, we have had disappointing results on the field and he can't even promise recruits he will be here a year from now.

When he has had something to sell to recruits we've landed guys like M. Garrett, D. Mack, and C. Kirk.

Even despite today I am bearish about the Sumlin regime, but the guy can recruit.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
So it took $10 mil and getting curb stomped to figure that out. I could have told him that 2 years back.

I'd rather he learned and get it fixed rather than not get it fixed at all, and risk it on an unknown new HC at A&M. What do you want? For Sumlin to have gotten it 100% right from day 1 in the freaking SEC, while getting paid only 1 million a year, while recruiting nothing but 4 and 5 stars, while saying everything we fans want him to say?
Pepe SiIvia
AG
quote:
I don't think you understand how irony works
Swing Your Saber
quote:
It looks more to me like he is assembling the best staff imaginable, instead of making due with whom he thought he could get.

There is a private coach for my boys and his introductory session includes "Allow yourself to be greater than you think you can be." When they asked him how much they need to practice, he said, "That all depends on how good you want to be."

I think many early hires were in Sumlin's comfort zone, without thought of raising the ceiling. The ceiling has been raised and our expectations have, as well.

Chavis is among the best in the business, and everything I'm hearing about Turner leads me to believe those are incredible hires. I think overall the reviews on Mazzone are still mixed.

The next defensive coached hired comes with great expectations.

Once that hire is complete... I think all of the focus will point to recruiting benefits and what Offers are made, what projections are made and whom we get committed.

Mazzone is not a Chavis or Turner level slam dunk hire, but at $800k a year he is a good get. He has proven repeatedly he is good to great at instilling basic fundamentals & outstanding execution across the offense. Even w/Spavs absurdly bad situational play calling we would have gone 10-2 w/better execution. His ceiling may not be the highest but he certainty raises our floor a good deal.
BombayAg
I thought we snared some 5 star player
Swing Your Saber
quote:
quote:

I'd rather he learned and get it fixed rather than not get it fixed at all, and risk it on an unknown new HC at A&M. What do you want? For Sumlin to have gotten it 100% right from day 1 in the freaking SEC, while getting paid only 1 million a year, while recruiting nothing but 4 and 5 stars, while saying everything we fans want him to say?

Not even the Zoo asked him to perfectly figure out the SEC & recruiting for $1M a year. Where did this come from?

I do expect him to be better than he has been & at $5M a year we could have hired coaches who would have been. However W/among the 5 highest paid staffs (including two of the best in the biz) I think we turn it around & do a lot better this year.
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
What do you want? For Sumlin to have gotten it 100% right from day 1 in the freaking SEC, while getting paid only 1 million a year, while recruiting nothing but 4 and 5 stars, while saying everything we fans want him to say?
Yes.

My reality is not defined by managed expectations.
Picadillo
4 seasons at $5M/ year to learn the SEC is more physical. Brilliant

Please, do go on.
Just Tired
quote:
What do you want? For Sumlin to have gotten it 100% right from day 1 in the freaking SEC, while getting paid only 1 million a year, while recruiting nothing but 4 and 5 stars, while saying everything we fans want him to say?

is not finishing unranked the last two years unreasonable? he's screwed the pooch these last two years. hopefully he can recover from it.
Maroon Flash
AG
Turner is gonna make our O a whole lot better! We have some OL talent, and now we have the right Coach.

I am now very optimistic about our prospects for next year. We are going to have a very good team!
dcAg
Id rather have speed than physicality. Speed kills.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
on oline? if so we should just recruit 5 fast receivers and send different ones out on passes while the others block.
JPK89
AG
Meh....

It's all Bush's fault.

JPK89
AG
quote:
Then go back to the BDF....
AgEngr12
AG
quote:
I think he knew it. He was hoping Spav / DC would be able to implement it offensively without blowing up that entire unit.
Agreed. DC was suppose to do that but just made things a mess. Turner is a great hire and hopefully Mazzone ends up being great, as well
Nonregs Bro
quote:
quote:

is not finishing unranked the last two years unreasonable? he's screwed the pooch these last two years. hopefully he can recover from it.

Well I'll bite.

To be fair we've only been ranked at the end of the year 3 of the last 15 or 16 years. 2 of those coming under Sumlin in the SEC so. unfortunate
fessparker
AG
quote:
Meh....

It's all Bush's fault.

And the sun was in my eyes.
Rusty GCS
AG
quote:
He still pulled in a top 15/20 class despite the fact we don't have much to sell.

Excuse me?
StayPuft
AG
Sumlin earned points back by hiring Turner, but consistency is what it ultimately comes down to for me. There is obviously a problem with the culture over there in Bright and that is what he needs to commit to changing next.
Meximan
quote:
quote:
I don't think you understand how irony works
Most people don't.

For the unenlightened, he meant "it's an oxymoron."
DM44
quote:
Sumlin earned points back by hiring Turner, but consistency is what it ultimately comes down to for me. There is obviously a problem with the culture over there in Bright and that is what he needs to commit to changing next.
Sumlin can do this by getting out of the way and letting the DC and OC do their jobs.

Post removed:
by user
Brazoria
Let's hope this is the case. Otherwise our idiot chancellor and sycophants will have to throw away $15 million to Sumlin and then ante up more millions for a good coach. What we have is a Confederacy of Idiots. Lord help us!
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Hhmm. Let's see. Hired the Chief, not known as a party hearty guy with players.

Fired Spav (and Kyle Allen left because his "best bud: was leaving) and hired Mazzone, again not a big party guy with his players.

And now Turner.

I'd say "the culture" has changed, most likely, with those hires.
VatoLocoAggie
Yessir. Swag.
Always_Right
AG
I'm not a huge Sumlin fan, but I do respect his ability to make what he deems as the necessary changes to help the program. I think he knows his window at A&M is closing and he must win now, we'll see what the future holds.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
CoachLB
It is a real shame all of this great football knowledge and coaching ability is being wasted by guys going into other lines of work! Guys there are millions of dollars to be had out there! So change your majors or quit your jobs and do what you obviously know better than these guys who do this for a living! Come on you know how easy it is. Oh by the way. When you make that switch take some advice I was given when I started. "Never, ever, trust a fan! No matter how nice they seem at first!"
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Lol @ the pretentious hs football coach....

I love oxymorons
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.