Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

3 yards down field rule

2 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aggiebrewer
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
great news for college football.

Bad news for Baylor
LSB_2002
AG
Do tell!
TexasAggiesWin
S
Really good step in the right direction. I just hope the enforcement is consistent, unlike some other penalties (holding, for instance).
greg.w.h
AG
A line is a line. Why 3 yards? Why not LOS? (Serious question.)
Beezy2389
AG
Deliberately tripping a ballcarrier is now a penalty.

This one is kinda weird and I'm not sure I like it... does this mean you have to wrap up whenever you tackle around the feet? Technically most shoelace tackles would be considered tripping.

Or is it just if you use your feet to trip him which I still think is silly. Get the guy down however you can.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Wouldnt it be easier to judge, since there is already an official looking down the line?
The Collective
AG
It will be interesting to see if Big 12 refs enforce the rule or not.
Beezy2389
AG
That would be terrible for an OL.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
Also altered was the targeting rule, with the instant replay official given broader authority. Replay officials will now be able to "view all aspects of targeting fouls," including the ability to stop the game and create a targeting foul where none was called on the field.

So rather than reign in this puss rule we expand it.
Zip 88
Take it to the Pussification of Football thread.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
i'm guess that's just a margin for error. if they are one foot forward, should that really be called?
vander54
S
quote:
quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Wouldnt it be easier to judge, since there is already an official looking down the line?

If you have ever played football you would know why.
Slwdsm
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you have ever played football you would know why.

Exactly. The purpose of the rule is for linebackers. OL shouldn't be allowed down field to get tied up with the LB and prevent them from getting back into coverage.
greg.w.h
AG
USAToday discussion from March on changing the rule. Note that the reason for the original change had to do with pop passes and OL being past the LOS (which was the original boundary.) The reason they didn't change it already is addressed as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/03/06/football-rules-committee-linemen-downfield-change/24503521/
Post removed:
by user
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:

This one is kinda weird and I'm not sure I like it... does this mean you have to wrap up whenever you tackle around the feet? Technically most shoelace tackles would be considered tripping.

Or is it just if you use your feet to trip him which I still think is silly. Get the guy down however you can.

Defenders not being able to use their feet to trip a ball carrier has been around for a while. Not a silly rule.
Goodest Poster
AG
quote:
quote:
REALLY? How the hell would the Oline block? They would be causing flags for exploding out of their stance....
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Well s***.
Post removed:
by user
agfishfarmer
AG
If it's play action, you will be blocking past the line of scrimmage.
thirteen01
Rule is for pass plays in which a legal forward pass crosses the line of scrimmage. It doesn't apply to run plays.
thirteen01
There has been a lot of wiggle room in the way this rule has been enforced by different conferences, if the lineman was engaged or not, 3yrds +/- 2. Hopefully this will clean it up across conferences. With spread offenses it had become even a bigger problem because of all the short passes right around the line of scrimmage.
thirteen01
quote:
quote:
quote:

Defenders not being able to use their feet to trip a ball carrier has been around for a while. Not a silly rule.

No. Tripping ballcarrier was exception to the tripping rule
Correct, basically you could tackle a ball carrier any way other then by the face mask or another personal found, now tripping the ball carrier is illegal. Tripping was always illegal in regards to blocking a non ball carrier.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
So rather than reign in this puss rule

Please get this through your head: targeting is not going away. EVER. It will only be expanded. If that makes you upset, quit watching college football. I guess you can put on a helmet, get out on an NCAA team's practice field, tell a few DBs to light you up. Then you can go to the rules committee and tell them, based on your experience, what they see happening in games to their players really isn't happening and you actually know better. Of course, they'll think you're an idiot, but they'll likely be impressed that you were willing to do your own research before addressing them.

That would be my best advice to you. Otherwise, you might as well be complaining about death and taxes.
BMX Bandit
91 lawyer Ag:

Get this through your head. People like bayside will continue to call football "pussified" even though they weigh a buck eighty and never made it past pop warner. It's easy to say NFL players are pussified from the safety of your keyboard.
Secolobo
AG
How in the hell do you trip a ball carrier? Stupid f'n rule. You should be posterized. Next, will it be illegal to tackle him by his hair?
A lineman has to fire out or play action won't work. 3 yard rule needs to be done away with. Why don't they put a little cone 3 yards off the ball like kids flag football.
MidTnAg
AG
Claiming that minor rule changes to a game played by 300 pound monsters trying to brutalized their opponents is really stupid. Really Stupid.
FullDraw
AG
Serious question. When pursuing a ball carrier, you can't lay out, reach out with your hands to his feet and trip him up? Or is tripping only called when using your legs to do it? If the former is true they would flag 20 tackles a game!
bigjag19
AG
Tripping is an act with your leg.
bigjag19
AG
NFL has a 1 yard rule and play action works just fine there.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. Tripping ballcarrier was exception to the tripping rule

Not sure about that. Maybe it was just at the NFL level, but I saw that called several times this year when players attempted trip the ball carrier with their legs.
Roman Empire
AG
quote:
quote:
Also altered was the targeting rule, with the instant replay official given broader authority. Replay officials will now be able to "view all aspects of targeting fouls," including the ability to stop the game and create a targeting foul where none was called on the field.

So rather than reign in this puss rule we expand it.
It's raining rules out there!
letters at random
I'm not on this board much. Is this thread indicative of the way posters generally treat one another on this board?
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.