Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

who will be the/will there be a DT position coach?

6,059 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Meximan
technoviking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
help me out. i just saw that there's a premium article about being in the market for a new DL coach with hagen's picture on it so i assume he is gone.

i'm assuming we kept terry price because he's awesome so it seems he would be the logical choice for the DT position coach. if so, why are we in the market for one, zoo??
Bunk Moreland
the 9th assistant is completely flexible. May not even go to defense.

I'm assuming this will be a hire that has a big focus on recruiting. He'll get a "position" to be responsible for, but he's going to get hired because he's an ace recruiter.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Well are we done with coordinator turnover? Or does McKinney still have a job?

In my fantasy, we get rid of McKinney, hire someone like you are discussing for a RB coordinator, and then get a badass QB coordinator.
Just Tired
i think that DT coach / DE coach was a contrived deal just to get thru the season. expect price to take full DL responsibilities.
technoviking
AG
thanks y'all
Poeag
AG
quote:

In my fantasy, we get rid of McKinney, hire someone like you are discussing for a RB coordinator, and then get a badass QB coordinator.

Can we hire back randy Jordan?
AcctAg11
AG
I wonder if we will have an unbalanced staff for 2016: 3 on defense (Chief, Price, Joseph), 5 on offense (Mazzone, Mckinney, JT, Moorehead, ??) and then Banks coaching special teams?

I didn't think they would do that, but it makes sense unless Chief wants to hand over linebackers to someone else. We probably fill that last spot with a QB coach, right?
cbates85
quote:

Nope, Looch posted in Premium that McKinney will stay on staff. Sumlin is trying to bring guys in on his staff that don't coach but only recruit.
cbates85
quote:
i think that DT coach / DE coach was a contrived deal just to get thru the season. expect price to take full DL responsibilities.

No, there will a DT coach hired to go with Price. This has been confirmed. Chavis can get whoever he wants.
Ozmandius
McKinney doesn't coach or recruit. I like Sumlin's hires, but McKinney has got to have some dirt on Sumlin. His performance to job security ratio is way off.
cbates85
quote:
McKinney doesn't coach or recruit. I like Sumlin's hires, but McKinney has got to have some dirt on Sumlin. His performance to job security ratio is way off.

McKinney is taking a payout to remain on staff.
LIAggie42
By my count we're at the NCAA allowable 9 assistants now. Don't forget Taylor Mazzone was added as QB coach. His dad Noel will only be OC,and not coach a postion.
85AustinAg
AG
Mazzone's kid was named a QC guy and not on coaching staff. This could change though.
Sbisa04
AG
quote:
quote:

Can you please explain this?
cbates85
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can you please explain this?

His contract is expired. He is taking less money on new contract to remain on staff.
The Collective
AG
Will someone explain the QC thing to me? Are they able to do everything a coach does except recruit?
Oilfield Aggie12
Get someone that can actually recruit linebackers! That would be nice for a change.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:

Nope, Looch posted in Premium that McKinney will stay on staff. Sumlin is trying to bring guys in on his staff that don't coach but only recruit.

Why is this a good idea? Don't players get recruited by and build relationships with the guys who will be coaching them? Does it work to have someone whose only job is to get you to come?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea; I'm sincerely asking what the advantage is.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Will someone explain the QC thing to me? Are they able to do everything a coach does except recruit?

It's not only recruiting. They cannot recruit and have contact with potential recruits in that capacity, and their time is also limited with players once on campus. Some coaches have used them to do stuff like work out athletes on campus during summer, etc., and got popped(richrod at michigan comes to mind).

But basically, quality control guys help do everything that might fall to the side in an otherwise very busy schedule for head and assistant coaches. Instead of the coaches having to sit and watch a ton of film, you can have quality control guys doing that non stop, preparing footage for you to watch, looking for under the radar recruits, maybe trying and experimenting with new schemes and plays and ideas, etc.

They help fill the gaps. It's no surprise that Bama has the most paid positions that aren't assistants involved with their football program than any other school. Saban is meticulous and wants to make sure no stone is left unturned on any front in regards to the football team and program.
Twelfthman99
AG
Consolidate DT/DE coaching under one position and hire Dan Campbell as TE Coach.

EOT.
cbates85
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why is this a good idea? Don't players get recruited by and build relationships with the guys who will be coaching them? Does it work to have someone whose only job is to get you to come?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea; I'm sincerely asking what the advantage is.

No, it's not a bad idea. A&M is literally the only school that doesn't have these kind of staffers in place. Even Missouri does. Bringing in someone like Joey Maguire from Cedar Hill to recruit the state of Texas and D/FW is essential.
MaxPower
I guess the question is why call them the DT coach? Why not recruiting coordinator and say Price coaches the DL? It may just be semantics but it would be clearer to potential recruits.
Bachelor99
AG
if we can take back DFW, East Texas, and the Houston area, we can win the SEC...it starts in our own back yard in h-town...McKinney has been a terrible recruiter for the area and the rise of tom herman & UH has Houston on lock down...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Except for Quartney Davis. Didn't he also lose a Cleveland?
Meximan
quote:
QC (Quality Control) is basically an assistant who breaks down tape and does other oddball things for the coaches, except for actually coaching kids hands-on.

As far as I know though, that says nothing for the QC being able to make recommendations and coach the kid through a buffer. Seems to me it could be a loophole, and as an avid gamer I have learned to exploit loopholes wherever possible. English is awesome like that.
Meximan
quote:
Except for Quartney Davis. Didn't he also lose a Cleveland?
Which one?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.