Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Played under Jim Turner

23,515 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Olsen
Michael Shumard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm about to hop on a flight but just heard the news...will update this with more thoughts later...

For now : my reaction and thoughts are simple. Excellent hire - I didn't think Sumlin would, in his position, rehire a man he let go a few years ago. That took balls - and am confident that if he is willing to do that - we need to give him a few more years. Very impressed.
randy828
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
quote:
I'm about to hop on a flight but just heard the news...will update this with more thoughts later...

For now : my reaction and thoughts are simple. Excellent hire - I didn't think Sumlin would, in his position, rehire a man he let go a few years ago. That took balls - and am confident that if he is willing to do that - we need to give him a few more years. Very impressed.
Do not know about this, but am impressed with the hire none the less
BBDP
AG
Interesting info:
He was just hired by Cincinnati in January.
"Turner follows former Dolphins offensive coordinator Zac Taylor to Cincinnati. Taylor, who joined the Bearcats as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, has worked together with Turner on both the Dolphins and Texas A&M coaching staffs. Taylor is former Aggies coach Mike Sherman's son-in-law, and Turner is Sherman's cousin."
Michael Shumard
Coaches are on to short of a leash in my opinion. I am not happy with the state of the program after this year but look at the staff we will have in place. The chief crafting a defense, and the willingness to change and adapt an offense
Bunk Moreland
Turner is a great hire. I am as critical of Sumlin as anyone, but this is a great hire.
DallasAg 94
Now for the new defensive coach.
Post removed:
by user
aggiedent
AG
quote:
That took balls - and am confident that if he is willing to do that - we need to give him a few more years. Very impressed.

Excellent post and thank you.

Now......is 1876er or any other Sumlin basher going to explain why a former player like Shumard is totally wrong and how you know more than he does about what is right for Aggie football.

I leave the floor to 1876er........................
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:

Michael, your input on things like this is valued greatly by many of us. Thanks for the insights.
Spyderman
AG
Turner is beyond anything on the swagmeter.
technoviking
AG
put mugwurt and kasey kelso in that camp too
ag-bq-seventy
AG
quote:
quote:
That took balls - and am confident that if he is willing to do that - we need to give him a few more years. Very impressed.

Excellent post and thank you.

Now......is 1876er or any other Sumlin basher going to explain why a former player like Shumard is totally wrong and how you know more than he does about what is right for Aggie football.

I leave the floor to 1876er........................
You'll have to wait a bit. He's still twisting his panties in a wad for the new day.
Bottlehead90
AG
Op
Where is your AG tag?

Just kidding
1876er
Swing Your Saber
All in on Turner, excited we got him.
APHIS AG
Sumlin knows that if he does not do something significant this year, he is gone so he is finally hiring proven coaches.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Sumlin knows that if he does not do something significant this year, he is gone so he is finally hiring proven coaches.
hopefully he's past the mentoring assistants phase and onto the just-win phase.
BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
Coaches are on to short of a leash in my opinion. I am not happy with the state of the program after this year but look at the staff we will have in place. The chief crafting a defense, and the willingness to change and adapt an offense
Agree, but the lack of fundamentals of players and poor player development put him on that short leash.

Sumlin is NOW headed in the right direction. He has recognized the coaches that need to be replaced and is reloading with great coaches!

Chavis will upgrade as well on DL.

Great news! Have a great day Ags!
aggiedent
AG
There you have it folks, the most positive thing ever written by 1876er on TexAgs.

quote:

aTm2004
AG
I appreciate you hopping on and sharing your thoughts. Since you played for him, and since many say Sherman could stand over a doctor's shoulder and spot OL talent at birth, how much of the OL's success was because of Turner vs Sherman? I think that's my biggest fear right now.
CosmicMaskedAvenger
AG
The Chief was an awesome hire. Turner is an awesome hire.

Gives me hope about the Mazzone hire and whoever else is coming in.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:

Right on.

Unlce Rico approves.
dreyOO
quote:
Turner is a great hire. I am as critical of Sumlin as anyone, but this is a great hire.
THIS
AMF 2 AMC
AG
quote:

I think this means Sumlin is not on the hot seat at all. Turner could have stayed at Cinci. Coming back is a vote of confidence in Sumlin's tenure. Chief is still here, and Mazzone is an established coach. I doubt either feels the need to sign on to sinking ships at this point in their careers.
Michael Shumard
Turner is a great coach in his own right - regardless of of Sherman was at front of the ship.

I wish I could go back and play for him.
aggieclay
Love Jim Turner! Maybe he'll ask his cuz to evaluate some prospects for us. Would be wise imo.
rokshox
AG
I'm really looking forward to going into December without drama, hoping we have some momentum instead!!
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
quote:

I think this means Sumlin is not on the hot seat at all. Turner could have stayed at Cinci. Coming back is a vote of confidence in Sumlin's tenure. Chief is still here, and Mazzone is an established coach. I doubt either feels the need to sign on to sinking ships at this point in their careers.

Very good point
TheGroupGuy
We have never had s better oline than those turner coached and developed
mjschiller
AG
Thanks, Michael - appreciate your views
Rusty GCS
AG
quote:
Love Jim Turner! Maybe he'll ask his cuz to evaluate some prospects for us. Would be wise imo.
It was Turner who found Mike Evans and Gerald Hawkins. Not Sherman.

We all know Mike's story.

Gerald was in New Orleans and had an offer to Tulane and Memphis as a DT. Turner said no, that's a future NFL OL. Offered and got him to commit. The next week Les offered him as an OL and flipped him. He just got drafted to the NFL after starting multiple years at LSU. Played tackle for them but will be an even better guard at the NFL level.

RGEAgs
quote:
Maybe Sherm will be Turner and Sumlin's secret undercover East Coast recruiter.
VatoLocoAggie
Excellent hire. I don't see any weak links in our coaching staff. Probably the best staff from top to bottom.
I predict we will be surprising a lot of people this season and may be the proverbial Dark Horse team.

I am still not sold on Trevor Knight. I believe that Hubes is going to be the savior and we will be fine.

Anyways, great hire and welcome back Coach Turner. We missed you.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
duckguide1
Turner is solid. If Sumlin steals Ed O from LSU or The chief grabs his guy from tu, I'm all in for a little extended hope, otherwise the program is done under Sumdog. He got ***** slapped on the field and in the living room last year. He also waited to long for the firing and hiring. Why wait when he knew he had 3 lame duck coaches/re recruiters? Cost the program huge with the uncommitted big time players the last week of recruiting season. Sumlin is a poor manager and has yet to justify his $5 million salary. Love my buddy Mike but our HC better contend this season or me thinks he is done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.